Learn from my horror story!!!

portlandgreg

I was set to sail on Carnival Glory on Sep 6 with dm from NYC. I was anxious and nervous for a month of what can go wrong(lost baggage, missed airline connections, bad weather, etc). On top of that hurricane after hurricane seemed to be targeting the NE. I was a bundle of nerves before the day ever arrived. I flew from the West Coast to the East Coast to meetup with dm on Sept 5. No problems, the luggage arrived, I arrived, and all the hurricanes dissipated. It was a glorious day with not a cloud in the sky!!! We arrived at the port, checked in early amd boarded the ship. I don't know why but we proceeded immediately to the Grand Buffet for lunch. Then out of all the things that I fretted about, the unexpected happened. I got a slice of roast beef and potatos. DM went to get her food. I remember being so excited and also detracted from all the various people and activity going on around me. I took a gulp and next thing I knew, I was gagging on roast beef. I started throwing up but couldn't get the piece of meat unstuck from my throat. We rushed down to the infirmary where they had to roundup the doctor. Long story short, I was put off the ship and had to go to the hospital and have emergency surgery to have the piece of meat removed. Thankfully we had insurance and will be reimbursed for the cruise cost because we had not yet sailed. However, I am heart broken and very depressed over the entire thing. My mother is getting up there in years and I feel this was going to be our last chance for a vacation together. This was also to be my first cruise. I don't know what I could have done to make things different. Perhaps sit down and relax a bit after boarding, walk around first, or eaten something different. Whatever, I wish I had done these things instead of rushing to the buffet while still all frazzled and unnerved. Also, I could kick myself for letting my anxiety and nerves get all riled up before the cruise. Although I read on the cc, just relax and let whatever happens happen, I did not follow that advice. My advice to all those going the first time, take your time, don't rush right to the buffet, and be mindful when you are eating.

Yes!!! We booked the cruise a month before departure. I never believed in insurance before. Never needed it. We almost didn't get the insurance thinking that it was so close that nothing would happen. Thank God for mothers!!! I'm glad she insisted on it. Pass my story to others!!! You never EVER know that something like this will happen to you!! We were actually on the ship!!! GET INSURANCE because the one time a freak accident happens, it will pay off.

I'm so sorry that happen to you...and very glad you had a good outcome!

Yes, trip insurance is very valuable. We always get it.

And we never head off to eat right after boarding. We're always a bit too frazzled, stressed from travelling and making sure we have everything in order and that we got to the right place at the right time and that our luggage is there and...

we usually find a quiet corner and get a cold drink (not necessarily alcoholic!), sometimes even just a cup of coffee, and just "chill out" for awhile, enjoy watching the rest of the passengers scurry around. The food will always be there, and we'll enjoy it much more later, when we're calmed down a bit.

I hope you get another cruise scheduled soon..with your mother..and it goes much more satisfactorily!

What a very scary time that must have been for you! I'm glad you are okay, because it certainly would have been worse if the ship had already left port!

Best wishes on booking (and enjoying) your next (first) cruise!

Karen

I'm glad you were alright and can't imagine them having to do surgery over a bite of roast beef. That's a really bad experience. I hope you book another cruise as quickly as possible, get the insurance (and for heaven's sake) and stay away from the roast beef. I'll never look at the roast beef on our first day on the ship without thinking of you. I'm sure my family will be rolling their eyes when we sit down to eat and I warn them of the dangers of roast beef :eek:(LOL). Take care and book again sooner rather than later.

oh my goodness ... hope you are ok and recovering .... I am like that- mini bundle of nerves ... I worry that i will get sick, that the weather will be bad , that i will not be able to sleep from noise .... I hope you do the cruise very soon and tell us some great fun stories!

That's such a weird and scary story! I'm so glad to hear that you're okay now but I can empathize with your disappointment. :( I also totally get your worries about your mom. I'm in the same exact "boat" with my mom. I hope you can reschedule another cruise soon. And next time...get the soup. ;)

Archived