NCL Dress Code for NCL First Timer

SheSailsSeaShells

We're going on our first NCL cruise next month and I'm packing dressy slacks and a formal gown. I'm one of those weird people that likes getting dressed up -- I work as an RN and so I wear scrubs to work and yoga pants and shorts pretty much the rest of the time and so it's a fun change of pace for me.

Hopefully your vacation will be a fun change of pace for you guys, up to and including dining room attire. I hope you have a great time and can't wait to hear all about it!

The dress code gest debated here very often and here is the policy in NCL's own words:

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#dress

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

• Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.
  • Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.
  • Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.
  • Hawaiian shirts are allowed with proper slacks in all dining rooms.
  • Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.

The dress code gest debated here very often and here is the policy in NCL's own words:

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#dress

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

• Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.
  • Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.
  • Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.
  • Hawaiian shirts are allowed with proper slacks in all dining rooms.
  • Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.

The link you provide goes to the FAQ which has already been quoted and the quote is far different from what you are quoting. Where is your quote coming from?

I got lucky last year Kohl's was selling a pair of kakhi pants that had a hidden zipper around the knees. I found some for both the kids and my hubby. That way they could wear them as shorts and a t-shirt during the day and zip them up for pants and throw on a collared shirt and dressier shoes at night! The zipper was hidden so it looked okay and cut down on the packing!

We love to be casual on vacation since both hubby and I have had to dress in suits for work everyday for many years.

We saw lots of shorts in the MDR on the Dawn. Denim and dockers type. After seeing others wear them, my husband joined the bandwagon. You have never seen such a happy camper. He wore them with collared golf shirts with sandals or sneakers. Happy happy happy.

I wore skorts with sandals and summery tops.

We basically were able to go from day to evening with a change of tops.

Bring your husband a pair of jeans just in case the maitre d stops you but my guess is that you will have no problems dining in the MDRs on your cruise. No need to stick to the buffets!

I believe NCL is generally moving to an even more relaxed dress code than what is presently listed on thier website...it just hasn't been made official. My guess is that it is an unadvertised, unwritten sort of thing.

The dress code onboard:

Jeans: Presentable jeans are permitted in most dining venues in the evening, except the “designated” venue. Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition.

One more question about the dress code... does anyone know on the Norwegian Spirit (Exotic Western Caribbean itinerary) which restaurants allow jeans for dinner and which ones don't?

Thanks!

The dress code someone posted said "Presentable jeans are permitted in most dining venues in the evening, except the 'designated' venue."

Any idea what the 'designated' venue is? And is the MDR included in "most dining venues" that allow jeans for dinner?

The code seems to be vague. Thanks for any help you can provide in deciphering this.

The dress code someone posted said "Presentable jeans are permitted in most dining venues in the evening, except the 'designated' venue."

Any idea what the 'designated' venue is? And is the MDR included in "most dining venues" that allow jeans for dinner?

The code seems to be vague. Thanks for any help you can provide in deciphering this.

The "designated venue" can change from one sailing to another sailing. Your best bet is to wait until you're on-board and look at the daily. Someone could tell you what dining room it was last week but that doesn't mean it will be the same when you cruise.

Archived