What if luggage doesn't make it?

Lorabele

First off do not put your things in one piece of luggage and dh in another. Do half and half. This way in case in piece does not make it you have some clothes. Another thing, in your carry on pack a change of clothes, shoes and underewear, swimsuit and cover-up. This for several reasons, once on the ship you can change to the swim and cover-up and start to enjoy your cruise. The extra set of clothes are in case your luggage is not delivered until late.

If the airlines misplaces your luggage, they will try to send it to one of the ports of call. However, we had a woman on our Med cruise whose luggage did not arrive to her until the day we disembarked...took almost 14 days to catch up with her. She was given an allowance to go and buy some clothes, but was very upset the whole cruise. On one of our first cruises DH luggage showed up right away, mine was found sitting in a stairwell around midnight with no tags on it.....this is why we do 1/2 each piece.

With the amount of luggage the airlines and cruises deal with, the problems are few and far between

One more reason to fly in a day ahead of time if at all possible. We had our luggage "delayed" not truly "lost" - it missed a connection in Miami on the way to San Juan. Fortunately we were flying in a day ahead of time - we chose to wait for it at the airport in San Juan - finally arrived around midnight - but at least we had it - would have missed the ship had we not been there a day early.

One bag of mine missed the flight from Atlanta to San juan on 20 Dec. (the day of our 11 day cruise). It went to San Juan on 21 Dec and was forwarded to St. Maarten a couple of days later (about the day we left there) but could not be found by ship's agent. It supposedly was fprwarded by the airline (Delta) at some later time to Aruba (our last port). It was found about 14 Jan sitting in St. marteen at the American Airline baggage area (I figure it was to fly them to Aruba).

The luggage was only tracked down by one of the 3 luggage tags I had on it when they found it was just sitting around.

The airline paid expenses I submitted after the cruise ($416) for buying new clothes etc for the whole cruise.

As the previous poster said the tags do get torn off, so put on at least two. At least 3 tags were torn off or destroyed on our other 3 bags that made the flight. :)

We booked our own air this time and me, being the worrier, wonder what will happen if we arrive in FLL and our luggage doesn't. Anyone have any experience with that? Will the airline get it to us anyway???

One of the MANY reasons why one NEVER flies in on the day of a cruise! This happens quite often. If you fly to your port of embarkation a few days early you don't have to worry about delayed baggage as it will have time to catch up to you before you get on the ship. You also don't have to worry about missed connections, or late flights and can get on the ship early, be well rested, and begin enjoying that first day stress free!!!

First cruise we went the same day and I was jumpy until I took the luggage of the carosel (sp). That was the last itme I went through that. We always fly in the day before, relax, enjoy the city and get to the ship early, relaxed & ready to enjoy our cruise. Worth the extra money for a hotel & a couple of meals.

Norma

One other thing that is helpful is to have photographs of your luggage to hand to the Lost Luggage Clerk. It is a horrible feeling to be asked to describe your luggage and the only thing that comes to mind is, "It's black -- just like every bag in the airport!" Photos are especially helpful. Also, if you should happen to have your luggage delayed or lost, be sure your airline gives you their 1-800 # to their lost luggage department. You can call and bug them until it is delivered to your hotel (it won't speed things up, but it may make you feel better). Also, be sure to let the front desk clerks and/or bellman know your luggage is lost and the airline will be delivering it and to call you ASAP when it arrives -- even if it is 4 a.m. (as was our case). Another thing I would advise is to keep the same airline at every connection -- don't change airlines midstream. It seems the bags don't typically keep up with the transfers. Finally, I recommend getting new luggage in ANY color other than black. Then, put some horribly contrasting luggage strap around the bag. I figure if some poor soul knows to look for a burnt orange bag with a neon green luggage strap, my odds are better that he/she will actually look for it than if they see they are to be on the lookout for yet another lost black bag! Just my two cents. Have a great cruise! ;)

Last May, my bag missed my flight and the next flight didn't arrive quite in time for the bag to make the ship - so it had a trip out to the ship on the pilot boat. That was an impressive piece of work by all concerned, ie the airline's local handling agent and the ship's agent at the port.

My parents once got their bags delayed in a big operations snarl-up at Heathrow. The bags ended up chasing them all round the Baltic for a week. That ship was lovely though (Regal Princess, IIRC). The ship gave them some money to spend in the ship's shops, plus free laundry (so they could repeatedly wash and wear what little they had) until the bags turned up - even though it was not the cruise line's fault or responsibility in any way.

We take our formal wear in a carry-on, DH's garment bag. You can buy other clothing, but formal wear is more difficult. DH could rent a tux, but want's his own. Then I take casual wear for both of us in my carry-on. Coming home we check both of these.

I do the opposite. I really wouldn't care if my dressy clothers got lost since I spend very little time wearing them. My carry on always has an extra pair of shorts, a t-shirt, etc., since that is what I will be wearing most of the time.

I'm with Jerry! Formal wear is the last thing I want to be hauling around... just in case!

Anyways, one trip to the Bahamas, our final leg of the trip was delayed because they needed to unload some "supplies" due to weight restraints. Turns out those supplies were my luggage :eek: . It was eventually delivered to our hotel later that day. Fortunately we were staying in one place for the week, and it didn't have to play "catch-up" with a cruise ship :p

HAve learned from the experience and pack "strategically" now!

A

We flew in the day before our cruise on the 5th - apparently our luggage didn't want to travel with us - we did get our garment bag with our formals and DH's slacks/shirts before we left, however our big suitcase with our other clothes/shoes, etc did not make it. It was, however delivered to us at our first port, 2 days later.

I'm thankful for packing necessities in our carryon bag - 2 changes of clothes for both of us, an extra pair of shoes for me, my cosmetics, meds, etc - we did have to do a quick shop at WalMart for shorts, t-shirts and a pair of slacks for me to wear to dinner.

It was a stressful time before the cruise, once we set sail, we both gave in to the fact that it was totally out of our hands. Be sure if it happens, to let the cruise people know, so that they can be in contact with the airlines and can make sure thst the bags get where they need to go - I'm thankful for all the helpful people at RCCL that I dealt with on this matter, from the people in check-in to the pursers desk staff. The pursers desk did let us know the night before we arrived in Grand Cayman that our bag was going to be there and that we should have it by noon (which, we did)

We are supposed to get $25 pp per day from Delta, and that request has already been filed - I hope they don't lose it like they did our luggage.

Our bags didn't make it on time when we sailed on the AOS last month. Very long story (airline, snow, day early, funky connection) and I won't get into it, but when we arrived on the ship, the guest relations clerk told us, because we had taken cruise insurance they would make sure that we had appropriate clothing for formal night and comlimentary dry cleaning among other perks. We were pleasantly surprised that -- because of the delayed sailing of our ship -- our bags were delivered around midnight. I'm glad we had the insurance and RCI was going to be so helpful in the matter.

Judy

Archived