Dec.4th Gem sailing cancelled

GeorgiaG

We received an e-mail from NCL today that our Dec. 4 cruise on the NCL Gem is cancelled. Azipod issues. NCL is offering many options and on board credit. We transfered our reservation to the Jewel Dec. 5th sailing. We got the same cabins at the same awesome rate and on board credit.

We are very happy with that. We can wait 1 more day to cruise. Now we can spend an extra day in the city.

Hope everything works out for everyone else. Good Luck!!

It's really strange that Gem is having Azipod problems - we cruised with it last week and did not have any. Moreover, it will do the Atlantic crossing at the end of November. Can it do that with Azipod problems?? Would they risk that?

It's really strange that Gem is having Azipod problems - we cruised with it last week and did not have any. Moreover, it will do the Atlantic crossing at the end of November. Can it do that with Azipod problems?? Would they risk that?

Well I don't know what the deal with the Gem is, but here is a portion of the e-mail we received.

Travelling Guests,

Norwegian Cruise Line has just sent us important information for you regarding the Norwegian Gem's 7-Day Bahamas & Florida sailing from New York City on December 4, 2010.

During routine inspections, Norwegian Gem's engineers identified localized wear in the thrust bearing on the ship's azipod propulsion system. As a result, the ship will enter dry dock to correct this technical issue. Therefore, the above sailing has been cancelled. We apologize for this necessary change and appreciate your understanding.

While the azipods provide a smoother ride without the propeller vibration movement within the ship, their bearings have been trouble with a capital T for every line. The older NCL ships don't have azipods, the Sky, Sun, and Spirit whereas with the new Epic NCL returned to propellers...

Cruise lines are damned if they do or don't use the azipods. Either the bearings cause problems or the customers complain about the propeller vibrations. Its a no win situation...

I got the email this morning as well and just called to get on the Jewel for the 5th.

Had 4 Cabins booked at Cat "F" and at the time got upgrade to "DD". Needed connecting rooms and there were none available, so the rep bumped me up to category "CC" for all 4 cabins. Got OBC of 150 per cabin as well, instead of the 100 OBC, that was mentioned in the cancellation email.

What else is everyone getting for this cancellation? Anyone getting any good upgrades?? It's good to compare and see what they are offering.

I got the email this morning as well and just cal.led to get on the Jewel for the 5th.

Had 4 Cabins booked at Cat "F" and at the time got upgrade to "DD". Needed connecting rooms and there were none available, so the rep bumped me up to category "CC" for all 4 cabins. Got OBC of 150 per cabin as well, instead of the 100 OBC, that was mentioned in the cancellation email.

What else is everyone getting for this cancellation? Anyone getting any good upgrades?? It's good to compare and see what they are offering.

Maybe they are giving different OBC depending on cabins(we have a balcony) we received $175 instead of the 100.

Maybe they are giving different OBC depending on cabins(we have a balcony) we received $175 instead of the 100.

Yea I think you're right GeorgiaG. the rep mentioned it had to do something with the current DASH promotion they are having as well. And I know DASH awards OBC depending on the cabin you have.

Are you in the same Balcony Category on the Jewel now as the Gem? or were you able to get a higher class balcony?

Yea I think you're right GeorgiaG. the rep mentioned it had to do something with the current DASH promotion they are having as well. And I know DASH awards OBC depending on the cabin you have.

Are you in the same Balcony Category on the Jewel now as the Gem? or were you able to get a higher class balcony?

Same balcony category and same exact cabins. We are happy with that since we had gotten a really great price on the BC balcony.

Georgia

I am on hold now.....looks like I am going on Jewel-day later...

be back soon..

OK--I am booked now for Jewel--next day....almost same room...and got the specified OBC....so no upgrades or extras..but I am happy it is all settled......

Bet--the ship will be packed.....!!!!

I got the email this morning as well and just called to get on the Jewel for the 5th.

Brookalindude,

Just curious, does you new comfirmation reflect the $150 obc. Ours shows $100 but the NCL rep assures us that it is noted in our reservation record as $175.

Georgia

I'm booked on this cruise and haven't heard anything from my TA or the cruise line. When did you guys first receive word that it was cancelled?

I heard it here from another poster!!!!!!

I suggest you call your TA....so you can get the "official" email so you can make your changes!!! Good luck!

Haven't heard from our Cruise Agent yet, but we wouldn't take the Jewel on December 5th because it is a special "Nickelodeon" cruise with emphasis on kids activities, I believe.

What? There's not a Nickelodeon All-Access Cruise until next year. Otherwise, the Jewel ALWAYS has some Nick activities.

Does anyone know where the repairs will be made?

I was just curious. I am also wondering if cruises are ever cancelled due to lack of sales at a particular point, and another similar readily available as is the case in this situation. Airlines have been known to cancel flights for "mechanical reasons" in similar situations.

I'm booked on this cruise and haven't heard anything from my TA or the cruise line. When did you guys first receive word that it was cancelled?

We received an e-mail Thursday morning.

I was on line very early Thursday morning and the cruise was not showing on NCL or any

of the travel websites (Travelocity,Expedia) so I thought that was strange, then I got

the e-mail a few hours later.

We received an e-mail Thursday morning.

I was on line very early Thursday morning and the cruise was not showing on NCL or any

of the travel websites (Travelocity,Expedia) so I thought that was strange, then I got

the e-mail a few hours later.

Thanks for the reply. I have to be at work today so my mom is going to be making the phone calls since as of this morning we still didn't receive an email. It looks like we're going to try to switch to the Gem 12/11 cruise but we'll see how things are after this afternoon. If I wasn't a member of Cruise Critic I still would have no idea the cruise had been canceled; I do check the travel websites to see if the prices have gone done but if our sailing was no longer there I probably would have assumed it was sold out.

Haven't heard from our Cruise Agent yet, but we wouldn't take the Jewel on December 5th because it is a special "Nickelodeon" cruise with emphasis on kids activities, I believe.

Just jumping in to read about the Gems problem we will be doing a 21 day out of Venice this Oct 23...anyway...just got off of the Jewel last week and there were 400 kids onboard it wasn't bad and I'm a retired teacher! Your Dec. sailing should be OK with less kids...it's not like Spring Break or summer...Sponge Bob will be on every Jewel sailing from now on:eek: I never saw him once and I think my 12 grandkids would have been impressed if we came home with a picture.....don't worry about it:)

Just jumping in to read about the Gems problem we will be doing a 21 day out of Venice this Oct 23...anyway...just got off of the Jewel last week and there were 400 kids onboard it wasn't bad and I'm a retired teacher! Your Dec. sailing should be OK with less kids...it's not like Spring Break or summer...Sponge Bob will be on every Jewel sailing from now on:eek: I never saw him once and I think my 12 grandkids would have been impressed if we came home with a picture.....don't worry about it:)

Thanks for the info....we as retired folks ..are not the Nickelodien types:D

Archived