Igor - To those who live in Bermuda

sarahksmom

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts - the next 48 hours are going to seem like a very looong time ....

Not to mention the next two to four weeks till power (which also means the water pump) is restored to houses ....

Still, as we say here, when all else fails, just add more rum ...

Seems like people are practicing what they preach.;)

From the Royal Gazette:

"Shoppers were not seen in either two stores or Cecile’s and Astwood Dickinson, but they were found in Goslings.

“We have been busy,” a shop assistant said. “Black seal has been very popular, we stocked the shelf three times yesterday. Also Hennessy White has been very popular, it is smoother than the regular Hennessy. We will be closing at 5 p.m. today, a little earlier than usual.” One man in the shop said he was ready for the storm but stopped in to get some scotch.

“What else am I supposed to do when the lights go off,” said the new father of one."

Newspaper reports are scary.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/index.jsp?sectionId=55

Follow live comments here. Rain has started and power is already out in some areas.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/section.jsp?sectionId=3

Can't believe we were there last week with no clue this was coming.People are still talking about the hurricane in 03.Duke Soares took us on a tour and showed us the roads they lost to hurricane Fabian and today on the news I saw those same roads being threatened again.Our prayers are with you all the next couple of days.It takes fortitude to live in Paradise.

Seems like people are practicing what they preach.;)

From the Royal Gazette:

"Shoppers were not seen in either two stores or Cecile’s and Astwood Dickinson, but they were found in Goslings.

“We have been busy,” a shop assistant said. “Black seal has been very popular, we stocked the shelf three times yesterday. Also Hennessy White has been very popular, it is smoother than the regular Hennessy. We will be closing at 5 p.m. today, a little earlier than usual.” One man in the shop said he was ready for the storm but stopped in to get some scotch.

“What else am I supposed to do when the lights go off,” said the new father of one."

Newspaper reports are scary.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/index.jsp?sectionId=55

Follow live comments here. Rain has started and power is already out in some areas.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/section.jsp?sectionId=3

Hi, Heart, haven't been around for awhile though I do check in now and then. Love that Goslings is the place to stock up. :D

I'll be checking the news, and hoping our friends there, and cruising there, are safe.

Adding my positive vibes to the rest here....hope everyone stays safe and the island fares well.

I was just there a couple of weeks ago, had a great snorkel with Sonny. We love beautiful Bermuda.

Fingers crossed for you all.

We've been teasing him here the past couple days! All summer long he's been driving around in his boat living the good life but for the past few days me and the boys have been sitting outside the pharmacy drinking beer while he busted his butt taking all the boats out of the water for the hurricane!

Otherwise it's windy and my electricity went out but luckily my neighbor has a generator and he doesn't know i've plugged into it. Pray that he doesn't notice please.

"Enchantment of the Seas due in Bermuda on Saturday is now being re-routed to Nassau, Bahamas as a result of Hurricane Igor. The Bermuda Government is planning to shut down its cruise ship ports as a precaution, according to USA Today. Cruise calls expected in Bermuda this weekend will have to make alternate arrangements".........This is what was on today's "Bermuda" page on the web. EOS is definately going somewhere else and as the cruise ship ports are going to be closed, it's would appear that all the other ships that left Boston, NY, NJ Baltimore, etc etc for Bermuda this weekend are going to be headed somewhere else. Canada/New England maybe?

"Enchantment of the Seas due in Bermuda on Saturday is now being re-routed to Nassau, Bahamas as a result of Hurricane Igor. The Bermuda Government is planning to shut down its cruise ship ports as a precaution, according to USA Today. Cruise calls expected in Bermuda this weekend will have to make alternate arrangements".........This is what was on today's "Bermuda" page on the web. EOS is definately going somewhere else and as the cruise ship ports are going to be closed, it's would appear that all the other ships that left Boston, NY, NJ Baltimore, etc etc for Bermuda this weekend are going to be headed somewhere else. Canada/New England maybe?

Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore is going to the Bahamas.

Norwegian Spirit out of Boston is going to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas.

The Norwegian Dawn out of NY has already finished its Bermuda season and is doing its scheduled Canada cruise today.

Here's what a passenger on the Veendam sailing out of NY today posted on the Holland America board :

Originally Posted by Copper10-8 viewpost.gif

OK, we're on VEDM & here's the plan: we are leaving on a more southernly course than usual. If Bermuda news is positive tomorrow, we'll turn east & arrive on Wed. If not, we'll go to Charleston, SC on Tues & be in Bermuda on Thu. If Bermuda is out, we'll go to Charleston on Tue, Port Canaveral on Wed & Nassau on Thur.

FYI - local online news outlets are reporting that it appears the Bermudian, which is the Government tender vessel that serves the Veendam when she is in St Georges, has broken off her moorings and is currently getting a good beating against the shore so she may not be in service when the Veendam arrives.

Thanks again to everyone for keeping us in your prayers - looks like they have been working! Igor was a 1 when he arrived (they were forecasting a 2/3!) and is moving further away from us - forecast to pass within 50 miles in the next hour or so (last night the forecast was 6 miles!). Winds should die down by noon tomorrow.

The Veendam should have good weather when she arrives on Tuesday, though if the news about the Bermudian is true, she will probably head straight for Hamilton and bypass St Georges, if the docks are okay structurally (and they should be, Hamilton is pretty sheltered).

Thanks guys,

Looks like we're going to take the hit on Sunday night.

It's big, it's slow and it's still a Cat 3 (that's not good).

(Thinks): Better get in more Dark 'n Stormies and a cooler full of ice for when the power goes out!

The Veendam leaves today and should be well out of reach, though they may get a bumpy ride.

We'll check back in when all the excitement's over.

Have Fun!

32N64W

Glad Igor wasn't as bad as predicted. We sailed out of Hamilton on the Veendam Friday afternoon, our trip back to NYC was smooth all the way. Thanks for the good weather and friendly people in Bermuda! ;)

Jan

Archived