Is There Trouble in Carnival Land?

negc

After much consideration of the Farcus/Cahill discussion My thoughts are this...

1. Farcus is getting older!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Cahill is taking Carnival in a different direction

I never cared for Bob Dickinson but as the old adage goes... you never know what you've got till it is gone...

I for one think that Cahill is only concerned with the shareholders because he believes he has a captive audience in Carnival cruisers....

I am suggesting he take serious notice that this is only the beginning and that the rumblings due to confiscation of items ie: alcohol, electrical appliances, fans do I need to go on..Lower quality foods etc. are not going unnoticed by Carnival Cruisers......

We here at Cruise Critic and beyond are not happy and there could be an exodus to the extent he has not prepared himself for...The bottom line is always a corporate/shareholder concern,it is how you get there that ultimately makes or breaks you.Turn back the clock and remember we like Captains Cocktail Parties with free cocktails,Better Food, Smuggling Etc....So let it be or we will......

Later,

Rhonda aka mucklucks

Well said. I've been saying for a couple of years now that as much as I love Carnival, I'm a little nervous about the direction Cahill has taken. His route to please the shareholders (and I am one) is to cut costs and services. You start walking a fine line there. If they cut enough, the repeat cruisers will stop coming back. Unless his business plan is "turn em and burn em" first time cruisers figuring that if they never come back there are plenty more out there. Of course he probably figures some of the lost business will go to sister lines like Princess or HAL so who knows?

I know times have been tough, but there have been so many little things that have added up for me. There's also been a few new things that came out, but you'll notice that most of those were things that wouldn't cost them any more (like making the show band play for Karaoke or the Chef's Table where they charge.) In the few short years I've been cruising, we've lost a lot.

• Captain's reception with drinks (the new style party is ridiculous and shows a lack of respect for the officers imho) Way too crowded into a small space and everything else is just spread out like any other night. How much revenue did they increase with everyone buying their own $1.00 off drinks? I guarantee they serve no where NEAR the amount of free drinks at the pretty much unadvertised "farewell" party. Who wants to stop and drink when they are packing up and have a long day of travel the next day? Not too many. I'd be happy if they brought back the old party style without the free drinks, though.
  • Past guest pins - still a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned to those who have spent thousands with Carnival. You really can't give us a 25 cent pin? Or make it by request?
  • Sometime in 2008, waiters took on more tables and stewards more rooms. They are struggling too keep up. Rarely do you get the waiter who was time to chat anymore or the steward who has time to do more than the bare minimum. I had one poor steward who had rooms on two decks. It takes away little of the sparkle and what made a cruise special out of the experience.
  • Fruit punch? Minute steaks? Roast beef in the deli? Onion rings? Appetizers at the captain's party? Food is still good, but items have slowly shifted towards more cheaper "filler" like the filet being smaller on top of short ribs and the shrimp added to the lobster. The menu was also redesigned to group into three courses instead of four. Sure, you can order whatever you want but many new cruisers don't know that.
  • The biggest change I've seen is with entertainment. The biggest thing we loved about our first few cruises and raved about was the LIVE entertainment and musicians. Now the show band is almost half the size it was and using recorded filler. Classical trios are gone. Jazz groups are gone and show band fills in there, too. Reggae band is down to a duo on most ships - also using recorded backgrounds. Other entertainment is mostly soloists also using recordings and four or five piece cover bands seem to be heading towards duos. :(

So far, I've still had a great time on all my cruises and I love to simply be at sea. But I do have to wonder if this stuff, and I'm sure I'll think of some more, will ultimately cost them passengers when things aren't what the average passenger expects.

The contstant policy changes like with beverages, electrical items, locking luggage, etc and then backpedaling when there are complaints are also a poor way to do business as far as I'm concerned.

In a situation like Carnival's, you need to find the line between cutting back for efficiency and cost savings and watering down your product. If you get to the point where your customer base begins to errode, you've gone too far.

I am suggesting he take serious notice that this is only the beginning and that the rumblings due to confiscation of items ie: alcohol, electrical appliances, fans do I need to go on..Lower quality foods etc. are not going unnoticed by Carnival Cruisers......

We here at Cruise Critic and beyond are not happy and there could be an exodus to the extent he has not prepared himself for...The bottom line is always a corporate/shareholder concern,it is how you get there that ultimately makes or breaks you.Turn back the clock and remember we like Captains Cocktail Parties with free cocktails,Better Food, Smuggling Etc....So let it be or we will......

Later,

Rhonda aka mucklucks

Well said!

Well said. I've been saying for a couple of years now that as much as I love Carnival, I'm a little nervous about the direction Cahill has taken. His route to please the shareholders (and I am one) is to cut costs and services. You start walking a fine line there. If they cut enough, the repeat cruisers will stop coming back. Unless his business plan is "turn em and burn em" first time cruisers figuring that if they never come back there are plenty more out there. Of course he probably figures some of the lost business will go to sister lines like Princess or HAL so who knows?

I know times have been tough, but there have been so many little things that have added up for me. There's also been a few new things that came out, but you'll notice that most of those were things that wouldn't cost them any more (like making the show band play for Karaoke or the Chef's Table where they charge.) In the few short years I've been cruising, we've lost a lot.

• Captain's reception with drinks (the new style party is ridiculous and shows a lack of respect for the officers imho) Way too crowded into a small space and everything else is just spread out like any other night. How much revenue did they increase with everyone buying their own $1.00 off drinks? I guarantee they serve no where NEAR the amount of free drinks at the pretty much unadvertised "farewell" party. Who wants to stop and drink when they are packing up and have a long day of travel the next day? Not too many. I'd be happy if they brought back the old party style without the free drinks, though.
  • Past guest pins - still a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned to those who have spent thousands with Carnival. You really can't give us a 25 cent pin? Or make it by request?
  • Sometime in 2008, waiters took on more tables and stewards more rooms. They are struggling too keep up. Rarely do you get the waiter who was time to chat anymore or the steward who has time to do more than the bare minimum. I had one poor steward who had rooms on two decks. It takes away little of the sparkle and what made a cruise special out of the experience.
  • Fruit punch? Minute steaks? Roast beef in the deli? Onion rings? Appetizers at the captain's party? Food is still good, but items have slowly shifted towards more cheaper "filler" like the filet being smaller on top of short ribs and the shrimp added to the lobster. The menu was also redesigned to group into three courses instead of four. Sure, you can order whatever you want but many new cruisers don't know that.
  • The biggest change I've seen is with entertainment. The biggest thing we loved about our first few cruises and raved about was the LIVE entertainment and musicians. Now the show band is almost half the size it was and using recorded filler. Classical trios are gone. Jazz groups are gone and show band fills in there, too. Reggae band is down to a duo on most ships - also using recorded backgrounds. Other entertainment is mostly soloists also using recordings and four or five piece cover bands seem to be heading towards duos. :(

So far, I've still had a great time on all my cruises and I love to simply be at sea. But I do have to wonder if this stuff, and I'm sure I'll think of some more, will ultimately cost them passengers when things aren't what the average passenger expects.

The contstant policy changes like with beverages, electrical items, locking luggage, etc and then backpedaling when there are complaints are also a poor way to do business as far as I'm concerned.

In a situation like Carnival's, you need to find the line between cutting back for efficiency and cost savings and watering down your product. If you get to the point where your customer base begins to errode, you've gone too far.

My appreciation of the old management, in addfition tp their accomplishments in growing the company, was that I could see that they were razor sharp in cutting WASTE, not costs, as much as possible without the cruising public being aware of the behind the scenes efficiency of the company. Cahill seems to be making cuts for the sake of cuts and to imprint his name on the company. And his cuts are obvious to all. When following a highly successful management team, one might better think, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Rather than, "I'm going to be even more profitable." And the negative multiplier is that the big boss [Arison] is more concerned with LeBron James and the Heat, than he is with his basic meal ticket.

Interesting thread!

I have not seen this mentioned on this board as of yet. My travel agent tells me that the time is coming, if not already here, that you will not be able to receive a Carnival brochure when you go to your agency to inquire about or book a cruise. I find this a very odd business decision. Maybe there are some problems in Miami.

Interesting thread!

I have not seen this mentioned on this board as of yet. My travel agent tells me that the time is coming, if not already here, that you will not be able to receive a Carnival brochure when you go to your agency to inquire about or book a cruise. I find this a very odd business decision. Maybe there are some problems in Miami.

That's true - no more paper brochures. You can view them online only.

Archived