Is There Trouble in Carnival Land?

negc

A recent interview with Joe Farcus in a travel industry publication mentions that he is only designing two rooms for the Carnival Breeze and is pretty much finished designing Carnival ships, but will still design Costa's new ships. When asked why, he says that Carnival's new management is "putting together its own management style and ideas about what the product should be." He implies that he has a better working relationship with Costa's president. Just wondering if his departure is just the final result of the departure of Bob Dickinson from the Carnival family several years ago.:confused:

The health of the company does not hinge on Farcus glitz.

obviously, but does this latest defection along with the departure of many other top level Carnival executives since Mr.Cahill assumed office indicate a change in the way that Carnival operates and,if so, is that good or bad news?

defection

Considering Farcus will continue to design for other divisions of the company, I'm not certain if this is an accurate term.

the departure of many other top level Carnival executives since Mr.Cahill assumed office

Most CEO's prefer to have their own e-team in place, this would hardly be surprising.

Move along, nothing to see here.

NEXT!

designing for Costa *is* designing for Carnival.

Different lines, same parent company... a company that has been smart enough to let all its lines keep their own vibe, yet change things for the better when necessary.

They never "dumb down" their premium lines, and they maintain quality control on their mass market lines.

I don't worry about trouble in Carnival land... nobody does it better.

I, for one, won't miss the "Farcus" designs. I think Carnival is moving away from the glitz of his designs, due to the public making disparaging comments about them. Sounds like a case of management actually listening to the consumer to me. HOORAY for Carnival management!

"SKY"

Its time for a new design of ships. Dream and Majic are not that different from the rest of the Carnival ships, just alittle bigger, they were ships that were to go to Costa. Whatever it turnes out to be, its just going to be the looks. Just keep everything else. Nothing wrong with what Fargus did its just time to go different. It won't be till 2013 or 2014 anyway.

I, for one, won't miss the "Farcus" designs. I think Carnival is moving away from the glitz of his designs, due to the public making disparaging comments about them. Sounds like a case of management actually listening to the consumer to me. HOORAY for Carnival management!

"SKY"

Dunno about the 'public making disparaging comments' about the Farcus designs... The surveys that Carnival has conducted indicate that most Carnival cruisers like the decor.

Joe is 66 years old. I'm thinkin' that he's just winding down. Carnival adds more ships to the fleet than any other line so the demand is great.

Also, in a discussion with one of the VPs at Carnival not too long ago I was told that Carnival recently figured out it's not a 'mom & pop' company any more...

:)

Although I enjoy cruising on Carnival greatly, I do cringe once in a while when I see some of the decoration aboard several areas throughout the different ships.

With that said, I'm not saddened by Farcus' departure from Carnival Cruise Lines (and I'm actually surprised that they're keeping him to continue decorating Costa ships. Farcus' style doesn't look very "European" which tends to emphasize a cleaner, more basic and modern decor)

Also, in a discussion with one of the VPs at Carnival not too long ago I was told that Carnival recently figured out it's not a 'mom & pop' company any more...

:)

I certainly hope they have figured that out! Carnival is a public corporation owned by the shareholders. It cannot be considered someone's hobby. The primary responsibility of the management team is to produce an entity that willl bring a superior return on investment to its owners.

Considering Farcus will continue to design for other divisions of the company, I'm not certain if this is an accurate term.

Most CEO's prefer to have their own e-team in place, this would hardly be surprising.

Move along, nothing to see here.

NEXT!

If you read the Farcus interview it doesn't take much reading between the lines to figure out that Farcus and Cahill don't have the same rapport that Farcus and Dickenson, or Farcus and the late Mr. Arison did. If you read his remarkably complimentary comments about the President of Costa, it explains his decision to continue a relationship with Costa, while reducing or cutting his ties to CCL.

I agree with you that most CEOs prefer to have their own people in charge and with Farcus' departure, that has pretty much been achieved. Only time will tell whether this is a good or a bad development.

Much has been made of Carnival's claim that it allows its various lines to operate independently, but the influence of Farcus in the design of Costa ships since the line was absorbed by Carnival seems to make the legitimacy of thatclaim to be somewhat questionable.

There's nothing wrong with "new" blood coming in and doing something different. I am sure Carnival has a business plan and what it's looking for in future cruisers. Some of the glitz is okay, some of Farcas designs are good and some I don't care for. It would be cool to see something different. Change is good, no matter how much some of us hate it.

It is not just Carnival. NCL and RCL has lost their mind too, with the building of these huge ships.

Look, cruising is NOT about choosing from 23 restaurants and having a cabin for every imaginable want.

I'm sorry, but anyone who invests in NCL or CCL is going to take a beating in the next few years. Once the "new" factor wears off these ships they will become the ghetto of the seas.

I certainly hope they have figured that out! Carnival is a public corporation owned by the shareholders. It cannot be considered someone's hobby. The primary responsibility of the management team is to produce an entity that willl bring a superior return on investment to its owners.

Good for the shareholder does not always equate to good for the customer. Let's hope they continue to do right by both.

designing for Costa *is* designing for Carnival.

Different lines, same parent company... a company that has been smart enough to let all its lines keep their own vibe, yet change things for the better when necessary.

They never "dumb down" their premium lines, and they maintain quality control on their mass market lines.

I don't worry about trouble in Carnival land... nobody does it better.

I would agree 100% IF you were talking about the old management that brought the company from 1 old ship to the largest cruise company that ever existed. The excellence of the management WAS my most favorite thing about Carnival. This new management gives me cause to suspect change for the sake of change rather than change for the better.

After much consideration of the Farcus/Cahill discussion My thoughts are this...

1. Farcus is getting older!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Cahill is taking Carnival in a different direction

I never cared for Bob Dickinson but as the old adage goes... you never know what you've got till it is gone...

I for one think that Cahill is only concerned with the shareholders because he believes he has a captive audience in Carnival cruisers....

I am suggesting he take serious notice that this is only the beginning and that the rumblings due to confiscation of items ie: alcohol, electrical appliances, fans do I need to go on..Lower quality foods etc. are not going unnoticed by Carnival Cruisers......

We here at Cruise Critic and beyond are not happy and there could be an exodus to the extent he has not prepared himself for...The bottom line is always a corporate/shareholder concern,it is how you get there that ultimately makes or breaks you.Turn back the clock and remember we like Captains Cocktail Parties with free cocktails,Better Food, Smuggling Etc....So let it be or we will......

Later,

Rhonda aka mucklucks

A recent interview with Joe Farcus in a travel industry publication mentions that he is only designing two rooms for the Carnival Breeze and is pretty much finished designing Carnival ships, but will still design Costa's new ships. When asked why, he says that Carnival's new management is "putting together its own management style and ideas about what the product should be." He implies that he has a better working relationship with Costa's president. Just wondering if his departure is just the final result of the departure of Bob Dickinson from the Carnival family several years ago.:confused:

For the inside info you seek, the Farcus situation is all there on John Healds blog.

>>>. Cahill is taking Carnival in a different direction

>>>I never cared for Bob Dickinson but as the old adage goes... you never know what you've got till it is gone...

>>>I for one think that Cahill is only concerned with the shareholders because he believes he has a captive audience in Carnival cruisers....

>>>I am suggesting he take serious notice that this is only the beginning and that the rumblings due to confiscation of items ie: alcohol, electrical appliances, fans do I need to go on..Lower quality foods etc. are not going unnoticed by Carnival Cruisers......

>>>We here at Cruise Critic and beyond are not happy and there could be an exodus to the extent he has not prepared himself for...The bottom line is always a corporate/shareholder concern,it is how you get there that ultimately makes or breaks you.Turn back the clock and remember we like Captains Cocktail Parties with free cocktails,Better Food, Smuggling Etc....So let it be or we will......

Well, interesting. You have a bean counter at the top. What you get is higher profit for some quarters. But in the long run, after the company has made their customers mad (I they have me with their Victory change & 2:00AM e-mail) and they stop buying. Then, the new guy that comes in to replace the "Bottom Line Bob" will return the company back to what it was before BLB changed it and have the task of rebuilding the company.

Archived