Grandeur of the Seas Family Review 9/11/10 - Captain Rob's Last GOS Sailing

crusinmama06

I've enjoyed your review.

Captain Rob is a real hoot isn't he? We've sailed with him 4 or 5 times on the Grandeur and we have the Enchantment booked for March 2011. I'm so happy he will be our Captain. When he does his talks to the passengers everything comes to a halt until he is finished-you don't want to miss one word!

I've enjoyed your review.

Captain Rob is a real hoot isn't he? We've sailed with him 4 or 5 times on the Grandeur and we have the Enchantment booked for March 2011. I'm so happy he will be our Captain. When he does his talks to the passengers everything comes to a halt until he is finished-you don't want to miss one word!

Yes, its the only cruise where the kids would stop in the hall, dead silence, waiting to hear what Captain Rob would say. Maybe he can come here and work his magic. :eek:

Hey Michele I hope you don't mind me for saying this but you are the best Mom of all time and cool.:D

Aww thanks -- my kids think so too...sometimes.

Yep its night 5, the night where we have to pack up and leave our luggage at the door. This is never a happy night but we make the best of it. We promise the kids they can go to the Late Night Party Zone till 11:30pm - their first late night of the week -- I am a mom who knows if I let the kids party till 2am every night they will be heaping piles of sobbing masses at 8am ; - )

We go to the Not So Newlywed Game Show (not as funny this time with John Blair) but it works.

And we stay for late night adult comedy with Etta May -- very funny stuff

Day 5 Compasses

GosCompassDay5Pg1.jpg

GosCompassDay5Pg2.jpg

GosCompassDay5Pg3.jpg

GosCompassDay5Pg4.jpg

Day 5 Kid Compasses -- Ages 3 - 11

GOSAges3-11CompassDay5Pg1.jpg

GOSAges3-11CompassDay5Pg2.jpg

Day 6 - time to say goodbye

What a wonderful week we have had! This ship confirms what we knew all along, we don't need the newest ship with all of the dancing characters to have a great time. Heck, we didn't even step foot on the rock climbing wall this time. We didn't have time. My kids were too busy doing other things and not once did they have time to say "I'm bored".

The crew - FANTASTIC!!!!! I just can't say enough! My kids were SPOILED! I always feel sorry for the people who come back and say that their children weren't treated special at all by the crew because I have to say either we have been really lucky -- or RCI just trains their crew to SPOIL THE KIDS. They have to know that happy kids means a happy mom.

How else can you explain the towel animals made from not only OUR cabin attendant Albert -- but also from Oscar -- the cabin attendant from up the hall? He asked every night where our youngest was -- he had a towel animal for her.

And how else do you explain a bartender who knew my youngest daughter by name -- did I mention that I don't drink? She said to me, "He gives me cherries on a sword and cokes" I guess my husband took her one time when he refilled his coke and the bartender asked for her name. And every time she walked by after THAT, he called her over, gave her a soda with cherries. He didn't need to do that. She certainly didn't need the sugar...lol. But he took time out of his day to remember a little girl -- one without a soda card.

Everywhere we went, the crew made it a habit to remember my kids by name. And that left an impression on me. As I am sure it does on the kids.

So we said goodbye. The kids cried on the way home. My 6 year old cried because she would miss the "Introduction of Breads" at dinner. If you have not had the pleasure of having your breads introduced, let me explain...our waiter team were named Roberto and Eden. And every night, Eden would come over with the tray of bread and say "Good Evening, I would like to Introduce tonight's breads to you...tonight we have a nice cranberry slice, over here...the traditional sour dough, next to it is an onion roll, and these are the savory bites"

So yes, out of all of the things my youngest could have cried over...she cried because Eden won't be around to introduce her breads to her at dinner. You could say that the crew made a HUGE impression on my kids. :D

Here are the As your Depart Pages -- how did we get so lucky to end up with Luggage Tag #1 {YUCK!} -- according to the papers, we had to be off first. So we headed to the Main Dining room at 7am where we had breakfast and were right on time when our number was called at 8am....

GOSDepart1.jpg

GosDepart2.jpg

Thanks Grandeur Crew - we had a blast!

MoGabGrandeur.jpg

Great review Michelle, as always.

I love the Carnival Irritation and Carnival Abomination, it's always neat to see someone who enjoys their work. Makes me wonder what the Carnival captains call the RCCL ships.. Behemoth of the Seas? Monstrosity of the Seas?

LOL

Thanks again for sharing you trip with us

daze

Great review Michele. Love your pictures! Your daughters are so cute, love all the beach pictures of them.

The doc's wife sounds like a real treasure!!! Geesh, what she and her kids put the waiters through....she was totally rude. :eek:

We've never sailed with Capt Rob.....hmmmm. maybe I will need to do that!!! :)

Thanks for posting and sharing your great cruise with us.

Great review! I sailed on the Grandeur of the Seas a year ago and was not impressed by the food, or staff. I must say that Captain Rob was the only nice thing I could say about the cruise. We lost a day to start due to weather and I do think everyone was on edge - they spent the whole time trying to convience us we did not lose that day!

I have about the same number of Carnival as RCCL cruises. Before the cruise I just had on RCCL Monarch of the Seas; I would not have sailed them again. They did give us a good discount on this cruise from the not so good one on the Grandeur. I had to call and ask about it, they said it had got lost in the mail! I understand the weather delay (they have no control over it) my problem was the lack of communication, the not happy crew and no straight answers from anyone. I am so glad they have improved both on the Granduer and as I said the Monarch was wonderful.

Thanks for the wonderful review!

Michele- Thanks so much for taking all the time to post your wonderful cruise review.

Your pictures were great, and I loved all your personal comments about happenings on the cruise.

It is people like you that make Cruise Critic such a wonderful resource for anyone who wants to explore the world of cruising!

Thanks again for all your time and trouble!

Jane

I love this review! Im new to the cruise world and was wondering which was a better experience CCL or RCCL?? My family of four would like to try RCCL but DH thinks the rooms are too small. We do spend alot of time in our room.

The cabins are too small argument goes away once you get out of the inside/OV cabins on the oldest ships (not the new ones, they are comparable on the new ships). I don't do inside or ocean view cabins so I never need to worry about it.

I've been on 3 Carnival ships and sorry, I know that Carnival just isn't for us. The ships and service just don't have the same WOW factor.

You saw the size of the cabin I just posted, that was a JS -- not even a "true suite" -- did that look small? ;) And Grandeur is an older ship.

Our JS on Independence was much more impressive.

Michelle, being a few doors down from you on the cruise we also have to agree that Albert was a great steward. I have to disagree with you about one thing. We are also Diamond, but did NOT receive the tote bags. Only a small disagreement though. I hope Misses Morgan and Gabby have gotten back into their routine by now. Gabby looked soooooooo disappointed that she had to leave the ship. I understand how the servers knew she wanted cherries on a sword with her coke.

Phil

Michelle, being a few doors down from you on the cruise we also have to agree that Albert was a great steward. I have to disagree with you about one thing. We are also Diamond, but did NOT receive the tote bags. Only a small disagreement though. I hope Misses Morgan and Gabby have gotten back into their routine by now. Gabby looked soooooooo disappointed that she had to leave the ship. I understand how the servers knew she wanted cherries on a sword with her coke.

Phil

You didn't get a bag Phil? :eek: Wonder how SeaCat and I did. :confused:

As always Michelle I LOVE your reviews!!! I can tell it must have been an interesting cruise with your "company" lol :) Im glad you all enjoyed yourselves and your kids were spolied for the week. It certainly makes for a better cruise when the staff goes out of the way to ensure you are happy.

• 11 months later...

Archived