Cruising Priorities

Bridge Maven

Nope! I used to cruise on RCL but prefer Celebrity now... I like the calm, relaxing environment.

Also, because I've cruised so many times in the Caribbean now, I don't care as much about the ports. I have some favorites, but I've been to most of them a few times, so the ship is more important!

I take a more critical approach to selecting a cruise than when I first began cruising. Then I just picked a compatible date and a general location where I wanted to go (e.g., "The Caribbean...") and found a ship that worked.

Now I care much more about the particular ship and about the particular ports visited. I have come to realize that having a cabin I like on a ship I like and visiting ports I want to go to are what make an enjoyable cruise. Some people love a cruise no matter what cabin, what ship, what port, etc. but I am getting picky in my old age! I do alot of research now prior to selecting a cruise. (Thank goodness for the internet!)

Except for that spring break college cruise back in '76 (see avatar!) we have only been cruising for 2+ years. With three down and two coming up, are changes are:

Paying alot more attention to cabin type and location, with location probably being 1st.

Cruise Critic! For all kinds of help advice that has impacted the quality and cost (money saving tips!) of our trips.

We are SO grateful to all of you who so generously share your knowledge here.

Thanks for starting this thread - it's gonna be a good one!

Sara

When we started cruising, we had young children, a big mortgage and lower income...We were looking forward to buying things for the house, paying for college educations, just the everyday costs of raising kids...

So, in those days, price was are primary determinant...We always looked for the lowest price...we cruised in inside cabins and put the kids in the cabin with us...

Of course, at this point in life, our kids are through college...and they no longer cruise with us...our mortgage is all but paid off...and our income is considerably higher...

So, the price of the cruise is no longer the prime consideration...Sure, I don't mind getting a bargain...but, I first look, now, at the cruise line, the ship, the itinerary...We don't book inside cabins any longer...instead, we go for the balcony we want, even, on occasion, a concierge class or even a suite...

Of course, I am a little concerned about how we'll cruise ten years from now...when I am retired and our income goes down...and we have to worry about managing our funds to match our expected lifespan...

25 years ago when I started cruising, I think price, food and itinerary were the most important factors to me when booking a cruise. Today, I still try to find the best price, but have moved up from an inside cabin to CC class. I still book my cruises based in itinerary as much as anything else, and I still want the best food I can find, which is why I sail on Celebrity. So I guess that besides hand picking my cabins now, my priorities are still about the same.

I think my MAIN cruise priority is to escape the winter for 3 weeks at the best possible price. Sailing on Celebrity out of San Juan fits the bill very nicely. Sadly for us, in 2012, there will no longer be the 10 or 11 day San Juan itineraries. So, we will have to think of an alternative.

We did one TA. In those days, there was a bridge director. Now there isn't, so I don't know what we would find to do for so many seadays.

We are doing our second Mediterranean. We really prefer to visit that area on our own, but (here I go again!) the price was irresistable.

The very best cruise we have ever done was Northern Great Britain and the Fjords on the Constellation, followed by a few days in London.

Of course, I haven't answered the question! I think my priorities are still the same. We started cruising about 13 years ago. Our children were already grown. They came with us twice only.

We are happy with inside cabins. Must be midship and I like to be on the front desk deck if possible. We are easy!

First for us is the smoking policies on the ship...how lenient or stringent. We highly value not dealing with second-hand smoke.

Second is a balcony.

Third is trying to stretch our cruise time....we started with a bunch of 7 day cruises, then did a 10 day, then 11, next one is 14....easy to see where this is going! :)

Archived