Jewel vs Gem

bermuda8553

Hi,

I had reservations on the Gem for the week of 12/4. Ncl has cancelled that cruise so they have given us some options. Go the following week or go the next day on the Jewel. I've been on the Gem before and I loved it. Never been on the Jewel. My dh's birthday in 12/7 and I wanted to celebrate it on a cruise. Does anyone think or know if there is that much of a difference in the 2 ships. Thank-you for any help

Thank-you for all the help.I also checked out the other web site. A lot of good ingo. Thanks. I guess the Gem seems to be the better of the 2 ships, but not so much that it should matter. I'm on vacation, no kids, laundry or house cleaning so I guess anything would be ok.LOL I'll just relax and enjoy the ride!

NCL Jewel currently has mechanical malfunction, we were booked on the cruise that departs NYC on Oct 1st, they changed the itenerary significantly, I think that a part called Azipod (spelling?) is not working, this causes the ship to move at a slower speed, and consequently, they are not able to spend as much time at the ports, what really got to me is that they keep this problem hidden when you make the reservation, and they notify you of the malfunction about a month ahead of sailing, or at least, this is what happened to us, further more, they refused to cancel our cruise with full refund, untill we contacted higher up in teh company and threatened to reach the media. I heard they allowed other cruisers on different dates to cancel without penalty though.

Be carefull, I read somewhere on this board that NCL currently has 3 ships with mechanical malfunction, Jewel, Gem are two out of the three.

Good luck with your choice

Hi,

I had reservations on the Gem for the week of 12/4. Ncl has cancelled that cruise so they have given us some options. Go the following week or go the next day on the Jewel. I've been on the Gem before and I loved it. Never been on the Jewel. My dh's birthday in 12/7 and I wanted to celebrate it on a cruise. Does anyone think or know if there is that much of a difference in the 2 ships. Thank-you for any help

We are also in your same situation- booked 12/4 Gem but now on the 12/5 Jewel. Come over to our Roll Call (link below); we'll be arranging a Meet & Greet for all of the CC'ers! I won't miss the bowling, but I will miss having a nice spa- we were considering getting the weeklong spa pass on the Gem. I guess we won't on the Jewel. I just hope the Jewel's mechanical issues are fixed by then!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1196926&page=2

Having cruised on both, I am perfectly happy on either. Gem has bowling, which is totally unimportant to me, and perhaps the spa on the Gem is a little nicer. The buffet layouts are somewhat different, but overall the ships have many more similarities than differences.

hi njhorseman...can you elaborate on the different buffet styles; i'm also trying to decide on the Gem or Jewel. (Carnival Miracle we had to stand in lines; Royal Explorer/Voyager you mostly snuck into a buffet station without the feeling of being in line/or cutting in line).

The Norwegian Jewel is going into drydock the week prior to the Gem's scheduled drydock and will have a fully functioning azipod system ready for the voyage you are looking at OP. :) Both are showing some wear of their bearings so both are being drydocked one week apart with the Jewel going first. I'd book the Jewel! She's a beauty!! :D

hi njhorseman...can you elaborate on the different buffet styles; i'm also trying to decide on the Gem or Jewel. (Carnival Miracle we had to stand in lines; Royal Explorer/Voyager you mostly snuck into a buffet station without the feeling of being in line/or cutting in line).

The Jewel has (or at least had when I cruised on her) a number of small horseshoe-shaped buffet stations with different offerings. The buffet on the Gem looks more like a traditional buffet line, although the line is broken up into individual "action stations" so in theory you can more easily jump from one section to another without waiting on a long line.

I am thinking of going on the GEM around 12/18 i think from NYC.

Even though it is cold in NYC, I have off that week and it would be cold at home in NJ anyway.

I did the Jewel in June. I enjoyed the buffett. There were a few salad stations, a pasta station, a few more stations that had other things.

For breakfast, i really enjoyed the setup. You could even take your food to the seating area outside.

The "therapy" pool on the Gem (in the spa) is twice the size and has lots of jets.

I've been on Gem and Jewel and the spa facilities are very different. Gem's spa facilities are so much nicer in every way shape or form. NCL certainly did improve that aspect of the ship in the newer Gem sister.

I've been on Gem and Jewel and the spa facilities are very different. Gem's spa facilities are so much nicer in every way shape or form. NCL certainly did improve that aspect of the ship in the newer Gem sister.

Thanks for sharing this! I've been debating between the same sailing for the Gem and Jewel. We LOVED the spa facilities on the Gem and were considering the Jewel as it's a little less expensive but it's not worth it to us if we can't enjoy the same spa experience as on the Gem.

Archived