Self tanner vs. Hair remover

Tao Diva

Ok, I didn't want to hijack either the shaving thread or the self tanner thread but I am looking for insight on both.

When I use a self tanner on my legs, I find that I end up loosing the color when I shave. It's like I shave off the thin shell of tan skin cells and when I get out of the tub I'm white as a fish-belly again:eek:

I found that the cream hair removers seem to "bleach" the color away and waxing, though not as severe as shaving, also seems to exfoliate the tan from the skin.:mad:

I'm actually considering spending some time in a cancer coffin (tanning bed) but I'm hoping for a less dangerous method to achieve the sun goddess look:rolleyes:

What works for you to have smooth, silky, golden legs? :o

Well, you ARE! When you shave, you do scrape off a layer of skin...the trick is to keep applyiing the tanner....all it does is "dye" your skin...a "stain" of sorts. A hair removal cream will also cause some of your skin to "sloth" off....same with waxing....

I tan in the sun...and have been known to start a "base" tan in a tanning bed. I don't do it all the time, or for very long, but in the winter (when you're going on a hot weather vacation), you can't tan outside!

The self-tanners are NOT "tanning" you...they are staining your skin....most look very realistic, but it's NOT a tan!

Just keep applying the tanner...do it AFTER you shave or whatever you do to remove hair! Yes...it's a total pain. The sun is much easier!

I take a shower and shave my legs, then put on lotion as usual, then the self-tanner (or go to Mystic Tan). I don't scrub my legs in the shower (just the bottoms of my feet), and use lotion morning and night. I don't think that soaking in the tub would be a good idea at all!

P.S. I am very, very sorry that I ever used tanning beds or "layed out" in the sun in my younger years. I now have brown spots that that popped up years after I stopped tanning,

and have had to have several pre-cancerous lesions frozen off.

P.S. I am very, very sorry that I ever used tanning beds or "layed out" in the sun in my younger years. I now have brown spots that that popped up years after I stopped tanning,

and have had to have several pre-cancerous lesions frozen off.

I'm with you there. I have those big blotches of sun damage on my face and though a good fade cream and careful make-up application minimizes the appearance of the problem, if explsed to strong sunlight, my face looks like the hide of a pinto pony!:eek:

Thanks for the advice, I'll just keep trying to apply the tanner faster than I shave it off and avoid a good soaking or scrubbing until I'm back from the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Are there any self tanners or mytic tans that are salt water proof? dont want to go snorkling one color and then come out like a patchwork quilt!

thanks,

From my understanding, you won't lose patches of color, your tan will just fade all over when you go into salt water/chlorine. I asked about this when I got my spray tan at the salon.

I know it sounds scary, but epilating is a great alternative to shaving. After a few sessions, it doesn't hurt that much. I only need to epilate once a week if I'm diligent or every other week if I'm not wearing leg-revealing clothes.

Same here! It took a few sessions to "de-sensitize" but, now that I have been using an epilator for about three years, it doen't hurt on the legs at all and a lot of the hair doesn't grow back anymore. It still stings a little when used on the underarms (and...um.....I haven't been brave enough to try it on the bikini area). I epilate really well then start using the self tanner on my legs a couple of days before vacation and I'm usually okay 'til I get home though I do pack the epilator just in case.

Archived