South American Bargains

Jane110

Just got back yesterday from our South American cruise and thought I'd share some shopping tips with any of you that might be going on a similar itinerary.

BUENOS AIRES - with the downfall of their economy a few years ago, everything is incredibly cheap. If you're lucky enough to get to this wonderful and exciting city, put aside some money for shopping.

LEATHER- the best buys! DH and I both had leather jackets custom made (overnight). His is italian lambskin (soft as silk) and mine is carpincho (animal that's native to Argentina, similar in look to pigskin or ostrich). We paid about $450. per jacket and his would be about $2000. here and mine would be over $1000. I bought a gorgeous leather handbag for $100. that would definitely be about $500-$600. here in the states. I bought a gold leather evening bag for $45. that looks like it would cost over $200. here. DH got a few basic, but very well made, belts at a fine men's shop for $25. each. Similar ones in Sak's are usually about $150.00. I didn't get any shoes because they were all too wide for me. I'm a 'B' width and they all seem to be a 'C' width. Those of you with wide feet will be in shoe heaven!

CLOTHES - Gorgeous linen suits, high quality that would easily sell for at least $400. here were under $100. I bought a fabulous designer blouse for $45. that would sell in a better dept store in the USA in the $150-$200. range.

BEAUTY - if Buenos Aires is your first stop, then forget about having your mani/pedi at home and do it in BA. I got a manicure for $3.00 in a very nice salon and was sorry that I already had my pricey pedicure at home. Hair wash and blow-out was about $7.00. I ran out of time, but could have had a full one hour facial for $12. at a very upscale spa. They were offering a 3 treatment pkg (each one hour) which included choices like lymphatic drainage massage, cellulite massage, special facials, etc for $30.00. There are many salons/spa's around, easy to find - ask any hotel conciege or info desk at the nice shopping centers.

BRAZIL - THE place for jewelry and gifts. Agate necklaces that would easily sell in the $50-$75. range here were $3.00 each. Matching bracelets were about $2.00. Obviously not real gold, (stones real) but very pretty and a great gift since they take up so little room in the suitcase. I bought a set of 6 coasters - beautifully carved wood with agate insets for about $18.00. Lots of pretty items for the home that would sell in places like Neiman Marcus for 10 times the price. DH bought me a gorgeous pair of 18K gold and topaz earrings for Valentine's. :-)

Happy Shopping!

Jane

Hi Jane:) I am going on Century and it is my birthday the week we sail:) This is a "From Me to Me Gift". Of course, they are all as there is nobody else.

It is the Western Caribbean which I have been to but for me, this ship is my destination. I love her very much.

They are offereing a new excursion in Cozumel though and it sounds FUN. It is a Mexican Cuisine and Tasting Workshop. Food and Beverages. I LOVE Mexican food! I had never seen this offered before and I already booked it online.

This will be my 3rd time on Century and it is one of those ships where the staff stays the same quite a bit so I am looking forward to seeing some familiar faces:)

Archived