What items do you wear ONLY on a cruise?

2SeaWithMe

The whole jeans in the MDR thread seemed to get a little heated, so here's something a little more lighthearted.

Do you dress differently when you cruise? Can you never get your husband in a tie to save your life 11 1/2 months out of the year but you have him suited up at dinner every night?

Do you wear flamboyant or sexier items?

I personally, like hats, and I'm more inclined to wear a more formal/eccentric hat than I would to say, church. (especially since I'm usually the only one below sixty in a hat).

I'm also more inclined to wear bright colors or white after Summer ends, or maybe a dressy pashmina or scarf. I dress pretty conservatively, so I wouldn't say I show a lot more skin or anything like that.

How about you?

First of all, let me mention that I am a woman (so that the following post will not raise any eyebrows :))

I love hats and wear them all the time even though this is not really the style in casual California. I have a collection in various styles, materials, vintages and designers and I have always been told that I look good in hats. There is one hat though, that I wear only on a cruise or on a beach vacation and that is a special cowboy hat. I love it and it never fails to arouse interest if I wear it in a foreign country.

Another item I only wear on a cruise is a maxi, resort-style summer dress or a vintage Indian caftan. It's a lovely look but a bit too flamboyant for wear in the city.

Fun to see what everyone likes to march out for vacation!

For the hat-wearers....how do you transport your hats to the cruise? I've been pondering this, I have a few non-crushable (including one really fun wool teardrop) that I'm in a little bit of a quandary about)

I'd prefer to wear a Speedo 24/7 during the cruise, but luckily for everyone else, they don't make them in my size. :eek::D

Saw one the other day in a Mens' size 52 at Ross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Myself, I love wearing wild Hawai'ian Shirts.

During the sixties clothing stores had a special department during the winter called "cruise wear" which included casual outfits with very loud prints. That was at a time when most people dressed up in a conservative manner for work, cultural activities, and fine dining, but wore clothing on a cruise that they would never wear in any other venue. With this in mind, I find it interesting that so many people today only dress up when they go on a cruise.

I have a lot of Chico clothes that I wear only on a cruise. Also costume jewellery that I take when I travel.

I also have a lot of Chico clothes that I only wear on a cruise because they are acceptable for formal night, travel well, and don't take up much room in a suitcase. However, what I consider acceptable for formal night on a cruise is very different than what I wear to a black tie wedding.

I work two jobs at home.I am a childcare provider and a winery tasting room pourer.For both those jobs I wear New balance double wide walking shoes.Only on a cruise I wear formal night shoes in the MDR or specialty restaurant.For the rest of the night I switch to comfy shoes under formal wear.

Golfino still has a cruise collection, next to the regular season collections.

Something I only wear on a cruise is my bikini. I never wear it at home and I just realisedthat during all my vacation time in Florida, I have never put a toe in a pool or jacuzzi or sea, so I never wore one there.

Also some summer clothes for when it's very warm. I would also wear them at home, but since it never gets really warm here, it's only worn on a cruise :)

I play in an orchestra so get to wear my tux on a regular basis back home. Even though it's workwear on those occasions, it doesn't stop me enjoying dressing up for formal night - I relish the chance to wear it and not be "on duty!"

Beyond formalwear, I suspect that virtually everything I wear on a cruise I wear ONLY on a cruise. My swimshorts and vests that I like to wear by the pool or on the Solstice deck would be a bit chilly in the UK :D ! The casualwear I take on holiday is a bit brighter / louder than I would normally wear on a hot day here - I enjoy being away from home and feeling that bit different for a couple of weeks.

I wear the same socks though. Couldn't possibly put on my tux without an outrageously bright pair of socks glinting out when I sit down...

I am like most of the posters and cruising is my only chance to dress formal and also my fancier dinner wear. Isn't it funny that most of the responses have been DRESSY clothes, yet most cruises are much more casual these days than they used to be. I guess that's one of the reasons we like Celebrity, as they are a bit more dressy than some of the other lines. :)

I also have a lot of Chico clothes that I only wear on a cruise because they are acceptable for formal night, travel well, and don't take up much room in a suitcase. However, what I consider acceptable for formal night on a cruise is very different than what I wear to a black tie wedding.

Exactly! Also, I have old clothes that I keep for travel. I try not to pack anything I really care about, just in case of loss of luggage.

I too have clothes I keep just for cruising. Where we live;going out for dinner is forty miles away. Cold weather is here from October through April. Our dress clothes are pretty sweaters and warm slacks during this part of the year. We always cruise over our anniversary in early Dec. Smart casual is dressy slacks with a light dressy top and usually an over jacket/blouse. And I adore hats! I'm a sports nut and follow all of our local high school teams. Soooo.... I make my own hats for those outtings. :) PS I am a Red Hatter too! Thus enjoy being a little out of style!

My nude dinner comment notwithstanding, I do not plan to take any "special" clothes on my upcoming (first) cruise. I have not asked, but as far as I know, the same goes for the other 3 in my group.

One thing I have noticed on these boards is that many people are really into dressing up and eating on cruises. I believe it is fair to say that our group is more into itinerary and sampling food off the ship (local fare). That said, I am confident we will enjoy our meals on the cruise and will likely participate in two if not all three formal nights (but not really looking forward to it the way many here do....just another night, etc....but we WILL dress within code...LOL).

My nude dinner comment notwithstanding, I do not plan to take any "special" clothes on my upcoming (first) cruise. I have not asked, but as far as I know, the same goes for the other 3 in my group.

One thing I have noticed on these boards is that many people are really into dressing up and eating on cruises. I believe it is fair to say that our group is more into itinerary and sampling food off the ship (local fare). That said, I am confident we will enjoy our meals on the cruise and will likely participate in two if not all three formal nights (but not really looking forward to it the way many here do....just another night, etc....but we WILL dress within code...LOL).

My cruise style is very similar. I'm all about the itinerary, and can't really see myself ever taking a cruise where the ship is the destination. I'm too antisocial for that :p

The biggest difference is that I'll be wearing "comfort sandals" rather than cute sandals, since our cruise is very port intensive & involves a ton of walking. There won't be much lounging about on the boat.

Actually, there is one item that is for the cruise only. I read here that European pick-pockets can spot American and Canadian tourists because we tend to wear white sneakers while in port, so I bought a pair of black Skechers for that reason.

Archived