What items do you wear ONLY on a cruise?

2SeaWithMe

The whole jeans in the MDR thread seemed to get a little heated, so here's something a little more lighthearted.

Do you dress differently when you cruise? Can you never get your husband in a tie to save your life 11 1/2 months out of the year but you have him suited up at dinner every night?

Do you wear flamboyant or sexier items?

I personally, like hats, and I'm more inclined to wear a more formal/eccentric hat than I would to say, church. (especially since I'm usually the only one below sixty in a hat).

I'm also more inclined to wear bright colors or white after Summer ends, or maybe a dressy pashmina or scarf. I dress pretty conservatively, so I wouldn't say I show a lot more skin or anything like that.

How about you?

The whole jeans in the MDR thread seemed to get a little heated, so here's something a little more lighthearted.

Do you dress differently when you cruise? Can you never get your husband in a tie to save your life 11 1/2 months out of the year but you have him suited up at dinner every night?

I personally, like hats, and I'm more inclined to wear a more formal/eccentric hat than I would to say, church. (especially since I'm usually the only one below sixty in a hat).

I'm also more inclined to wear bright colors or white after Summer ends, or maybe a dressy pashmina or scarf. I dress pretty conservatively, so I wouldn't say I show a lot more skin or anything like that.

How about you?

I'd prefer to wear a Speedo 24/7 during the cruise, but luckily for everyone else, they don't make them in my size. :eek::D

I'd prefer to wear a Speedo 24/7 during the cruise, but luckily for everyone else, they don't make them in my size. :eek::D

LOL

My husband has been considering buying a tux. I think he's going to go less formal (no suits, but sport jackets) and get a tux for the two nights.

I wear a ton more jewelry too. I rarely wear earrings...I'm just always in a hurry, but on vacation I get to take my time and get dressed...to the ears!

How about you?

2Sea, I love to wear hats too! I buy vintage hats like Chanel and Dior if I can get a good deal. They never go out of style. I wear long gowns on my cruises because I don't get to here except for my Christmas party and then I am the only one but now my friends are looking for fancy wear for the party too......... Enjoy all your cruises everybody. Jill

Rarely do I get to wear my formal clothes at home... I really enjoy dressing for dinner while on my cruise. Even on "casual" nights I will still wear nice dress pants or a skirt. But I most look forward to the formals night so dh and I can dress "to the nines"!

Since we alway cruise in December I like being able to bring out my summer clothes, especially my cute sundresses and big floppy sun hat. :p

Ahhhh... just 76 more days until our next cruise...

My husband has been considering buying a tux. I think he's going to go less formal (no suits, but sport jackets) and get a tux for the two nights.

I do not follow this statement. How can he be going "less formal" when he plans to wear a tux? Yet you say he will also wear sport jackets. How many formal nights will you have?

To answer your original question, I am considering a nude dinner on one of the formal nights, if I can convince the wife to eat on the balcony. Then again, I consider a lot of things that never happen...LOL.

I love getting to wear summer clothes on my Caribbean cruises in the winter. My favorite time of year to cruise is in February when I really need a break from the Colorado winter. It's so nice to go through all my summer clothes and pick out my favorites for the cruise.

I also rarely go swimming except on a cruise, so my swimsuits are pretty much cruise-only attire.

How about you?

Formal gear.

I tend to wear dressier clothes for dinner than I do at home as our usual dining out places here are very casual. I also break out the fancier, although faux, jewelry since my real (less glitzy) pieces stay at home.

And I agree, wearing summer clothes in the middle of winter is a treat.

I generally treat myself to maybe one new outfit or even just a nightgown for each cruise...not that I need a thing, but it's an excuse to go shopping.;)

Fran

LOL

I wear a ton more jewelry too. I rarely wear earrings...I'm just always in a hurry, but on vacation I get to take my time and get dressed...to the ears!

I do not follow this statement. How can he be going "less formal" when he plans to wear a tux? Yet you say he will also wear sport jackets. How many formal nights will you have?

To answer your original question, I am considering a nude dinner on one of the formal nights, if I can convince the wife to eat on the balcony. Then again, I consider a lot of things that never happen...LOL.

I believe they meant "dress more casually" on "other than formal" evenings while still wearing a tux for formal nights.

Yes, didn't mean to confuse. On our past cruises he normally wears a suit for each dinner (we normally do MDR and specialty) whereas he's considering going tie-less with a sport jacket and slacks.

We do dress for dinner once a week at home...but not anywhere to the extent we do on the cruise!

DH definitely will dress differently on a cruise, much more casual than in real life, we won't be packing suits & ties, but we'll bring along a nice cashmere sport coat for the specialty resturants. I also have two bathing suits that are just for travel, we've got a pool at home that we use year round, & it really beats up the swim suits, so we keep a couple in the travel box to stay nice.

We no longer wear the formal clothes to functions any longer at home. We've scaled down our lives these days, so we still dress when we cruise. My husband always wears a tux and I wear my formal outfits and jewelry. That's still part of what makes our cruises special to us.

Mary

Formal nights are so fun to wear those dressy gowns that never get to be worn except on a cruise any more. The other nights for dinner we enjoy dressing up a little more than normal-like the old "semi-formal" days. I wear fancy tops with a skirt or a dress/sundress. Not to much skin;far less than the younger girls show every day shopping, but more than I normally do at home. Makes me feel special and DH likes it ,too!;) Hubby wears a sport coat, no tie, with dress pants-very sharp.

Great topic. Glad to see there are so many who enjoy "dress up".

I too like to pull out the long-retired summer clothes (already put away here in Chicago). While I wear suits/skirts to work, I tend to dress somewhat conservatively (I am a librarian after all LOL). I don't generally wear dresses, esp. the sparkly, shiny type when I go out at home so I do enjoy wearing cocktail dresses or sundresses every night, plus the jewelry, shoes & bag to match.

DH will wear whatever makes me happy! He wears a tie every day for work so doesn't mind a suit on a cruise. He does have acouple of Hawaiian shirts he saves for cruises.

Archived