Short review Dawn to Canada/New England Sept 12

flashdog_1

Review Dawn out of New York, to Canada/New England Sept 12, 2010

We started vacation two days before the cruise by driving to Atlanta and staying at Drury Inn where they allow you to leave your car for the duration of your cruise, and shuttle you to the airport and back, too.

After the hair raising cab ride from La Guardia, where we whizzed by intersections so fast I could usually not see the street names, we stayed at Crown Plaza Times Square (Broadway at 48th and 49th), which was very nice, and well located. We met our friend from another state and went to dinner at Tout Va Bien, a French restaurant that is actually run by French men. Just regular, nothing to write home about. But the fixed price menu was only $26.95.

Each of the 3 of us saw a different show and did not feel uncomfortable on the street alone at 10:30 when the shows let out. Chicago was right by the hotel, Mama Mia up a couple of blocks, and Memphis down several blocks.

A simple ride to the pier a few blocks away turned into a $20 cab fare because most of the streets were blocked off! Same way returning when there was a food fair.

Although we arrived at the pier around 11 a.m. we didn't get aboard until about 1. Passengers were still disembarking so it was obvious that we could not board immediately. Our roll call had planned an informal meeting at Sprinkles at 1:30, but since few had boarded by that time, we did not meet.

We did have a formal meet & greet thru NCL on our only sea day. It was held in Star Bar and all the officers, and I mean all, came. Unfortunately only 8 out of our 33 came. They took our names, but for what purpose I do not know. We did not receive any communication about having attended!

Our stern balcony was really too small for 3 adult women & all their clothes (more suitable for two adults & a child who could sleep on the sofa without pulling it out, but we managed. The balcony size was nice. Stewards were good. Balcony is about 2/3 covered which helped when it was raining slightly. One lounger and two regular chairs with two tables. Because of the sofa being pulled out at night the stewards finally put the desk chair out there as well. Coffee pot IS in the balcony cabins.

There were no specials B1G1 for the specialty restaurants, but they did say that children ate free that week (this was in the Daily daily).

Entertainment was fantastic for the most part. The only part that was not so great was the sail away from NY in Spinnaker (gosh, I hope that's the name. I mean the forward lounge with windows all around). There was no narration. When we came up to the Statue of Liberty, they did play "God Bless America." Fire and Ice was outstanding in their Motown tribute. Second City was sophisticated enough in its humor that a 70 year old like me did not "get" lots of the jokes. It is so pleasant to hear music as you walk the ship, knowing you can sit down and settle in, or just lean on a railing for a single song.

I'd been on Dawn before so was aware that there is no great outdoors buffet area, but I still missed having that. So we did not use the buffet except for snacks. We ate breakfast in Veneian every morning.

There may have been a few brave souls who used the outdoor pool and hot tubs, but it got chilly immediately after leaving NY. We had no opportunity to wear shorts. We took some since it was 95° at home the day we left! (and it was still 95 when we returned) but I saw a few people shivering in them!

The food was better than ever. I liked the "new" Dawn menu with one side for items offered only that day (and never again on the cruise), and one page for always available. One of the always available that was wonderful was the asparagus with mushroom garnish. I also frequently ordered the chocolate carmel thingy.

We ate two nights in specialty restaurants, using the coupon for B1G1` in Salsa if you purchased two dinners at Le Bistro. Very good on all counts! Otherwise we ate in Venetian or Aqua every night. The only food I ate in the Blue Lagoon was cheese cake, which was nice. I did hang out there for water and coffee, though.

In Halifax we'd booked a private tour with Halifax Taxi Tours. Our driver was Eric and he was excellent. In a 3 hour tour he gave us everything I'd read would be on longer tours. This was possible because we did not take an hour in Peggy's Cove. Peggy's Cove is not quite as peaceful as the photos lead you to think it is, when there are 3 tour buses there. We ate lunch on the ship and then walked the pier area a while. Nothing outstanding there (maybe we went the wrong way?)

In St John we accompanied DD to the zip line. They are "go, rain or shine" so it went! It was not precisely raining, but cloudy and wet out. Beware. There is no bathroom there. There is one between there and the jet boat ramp, but not a quick walk. They will call a taxi for you if one does not arrive with new zip participants. Our cabbie took, us up the steepest street in Canada and around the square before going to the pier.

We had planned to go into Acadia National Park on the free bus in Bar Harbor, Maine, (I learned that you have to pay $5 to enter the park, and you pay that before you board the bus) but were so enthralled with the town, that we just walked around. Had a lobster ice cream! Ate a hot lobster roll and local beer. Thought that would be our favorite port. (that was the night we had lobster tacos in Salsa.)

The Costa Atlantica was with us in most ports, so they were crowded.

In Boston we had hop on hop off trolley tickets. To get to the stop you have to walk the length of the pier (3 ships were docked there sideways) plus a few parking lots. Strange, because while on the ship I saw the Old Town Trolley drive right by us while we were on deck 12 looking down. We met my high school friend who had come up to see us and did the tour (driver was quite funny, but you sure couldn't talk since the commentary was constant). Since it was raining a bit no one got off the bus, so there were passengers who could not board when they needed to. But the driver called in that another bus was needed at that location. We saw this twice. I mention this only because you might think that if you get off for a particular site, you will be able to hop back on, but that isn't necessarily so. I did get to visit with my friend while the other two in my cabin took the harbor tour that is included with the hop on/hop off fare. We took a cab back to the pier. Yet others told me that the trolley took them right to the pier, not to the "tent" where we'd originally boarded. So who knows?

I was up early to see the mansion as we entered the harbor at Newport. As with tender tickets in Bar Harbor, they were required here. They were given, first come, first served, in Pearly Kings Pub. In both ports, it was slow going, and therefore not much opportunity for doing more than walking around, or picking up a tour in port. The tender problem might be an incentive to use an NCL tour since your assurance of getting off first for an early tour is a given. We ate New England clam chowder at a restaurant that had won the award for best clam chowder, and it WAS delicious. They used lots of dill weed. There was a boat show that day, so all the restaurants were full and service slow. Despite the crowdedness etc. we did find Newport to be our favorite port, probably because of its beauty. We found a section that could have been Colonial Williamsburg, with all the houses bearing plaques showing they were on the national register. All that, plus a sea view!

Disembarkation was by color tags, or self disembarkation. The cruise director had said that usually 85% of Canada/New England cruisers out of NY are from the area, so there was a very large number doing the walk off option. We were only about 15 minutes behind schedule when they called us. Customs was a breeze, but getting up to the booth took about an hour, although the lines were constantly moving. There was no standing. We had to take an elevator up one floor to get a taxi. The taxi because of downtown traffic cost about $40 including tip. This time we were going so slowly that I saw every street sign at every intersection!

Wearing one of my 5 for $10.99 I heart NY shirt I had a pretzel dog in the airport. Absolutely delicious and fun! Our flight on Air Tran left on time and arrived on time, as well. After 4 loads of laundry maybe I can get back on schedule tomorrow.

Thanks for the review! I was looking forward to Newport because I'm meeting up with a friend but after reading your review.......now I'm really excited!:)

Do you by chance remember the names of the restaurant you ate at while in Bar Harbor? And really, was the lobster ice cream good?? Just can't get my head around that one!!!:eek:

The lobster ice cream is available at Ben and Bill's Chocolate Emporium http://www.benandbills.com/ic_lobster.html located at 66 Main St, Bar Harbor. It is about a block from the tender dock and will be on your left if you are walking away from the waterfront.

Enjoy Bar Harbor & your cruise.

SBtS

I guess my H and I are the only passengers on the Dawn last week that found it a major hassle to get off the ship at the various ports. Waiting an hour or more -- even with a scheduled NCL tour -- just isn't right (including the easy/speedy do it yourself carry your own luggage on the last day). I've been on many, many cruises and have never had a situation like this. And the "excuse" of "it's the first cruise of the season to New England" just doesn't cut it. If this were my first cruise experience I would never want to mess with it again.

However, the ports were wonderful --crowded like Phyllis said -- but managable. The Dawn staff were outstanding, friendly, helpful. The shows were great - I loved Patty and Jose! The ship was clean, and the food was very good.

Thanks for setting up the Meet & Greet for us. I was impressed that the staff came -- including the captain!!

We did have a formal meet & greet thru NCL on our only sea day. It was held in Star Bar and all the officers, and I mean all, came. Unfortunately only 8 out of our 33 came. They took our names, but for what purpose I do not know. We did not receive any communication about having attended!

This happens way too often. I wish that people would put a bigger effort into attending when they say they are going to.

Might just be me, but I find it embarrassing when there are more crew staff than CC'ers.

This happens way too often. I wish that people would put a bigger effort into attending when they say they are going to.

Might just be me, but I find it embarrassing when there are more crew staff than CC'ers.

I agree, we have been very lucky, but I have heard similar stories. I don't think people realize what they are missing. Meeting the officers and asking questions is a wonderful way to feel a real part of the ship family and better understand what is happening. We love it.

On the Pearl in April we have about 40 or so at the meeting.

NIta

ps: to those of you getting ready to cruise this itinerary. We loved Newport when we were on the Jewel. We didn't think we would, but it turned out to be one of our favorite ports.

Nita

Hello,

Thanks for posting. My husband and I are taking this same cruise in less than a week! How were the colors? Were the leaves changing much?

Thanks

There's some colour, however the leaves usually peak at around the 10th of October in this area.

cruisetoCA/NE asked: .....taking this same cruise (Canada/New England) in less than a week! How were the colors? Were the leaves changing much?....

This may help, here is a foliage map provided by Yankee Magazine for the current foliage conditions in New England: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/live-fall-foliage-map/

As of today, 9/21, no reporting areas are showing peak color.

I hope one of your ports of call is Bar Harbor because all the other New England ports of call are cities.

SBtS

Thanks for the review! I was looking forward to Newport because I'm meeting up with a friend but after reading your review.......now I'm really excited!:)

Do you by chance remember the names of the restaurant you ate at while in Bar Harbor? And really, was the lobster ice cream good?? Just can't get my head around that one!!!:eek:

1. No, sorry, I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it was on the right side of the hill going into town. You had to go up some steps to enter. Just check the menus outside. Almost all restaurants offered lobster rolls that were cold, salady types. This was the only one that had hot lobster rolls.

2. There was only one ice cream place offering lobster ice cream. It was all the way into town on the left side. Good? Isn't all ice cream good? ha I talked to a man who'd tried pear viniagrette ice cream and he said it had too much balsamic in it! I can't imagine vinegar in ice cream. The lobster ice cream was sweet and buttery, with big chunks of lobster in it. Of course that lobster was about frozen!

I guess my H and I are the only passengers on the Dawn last week that found it a major hassle to get off the ship at the various ports. Waiting an hour or more -- even with a scheduled NCL tour -- just isn't right (including the easy/speedy do it yourself carry your own luggage on the last day). I've been on many, many cruises and have never had a situation like this. And the "excuse" of "it's the first cruise of the season to New England" just doesn't cut it. If this were my first cruise experience I would never want to mess with it again.

However, the ports were wonderful --crowded like Phyllis said -- but managable. The Dawn staff were outstanding, friendly, helpful. The shows were great - I loved Patty and Jose! The ship was clean, and the food was very good.

Thanks for setting up the Meet & Greet for us. I was impressed that the staff came -- including the captain!!

I, too, was impressed that the Captain came.

I was unaware that those with NCL excursions also had to wait. IT did not appear to me that they were using more than 3 tenders. Surely another boat or two would have made it easier.

Having so much less time on shore made us change our plans immediately, thinking we would not have adequate time to go into the park, eat lobster rolls and popovers and blueberry pie at the one restaurant stop on the free bus, and return to town in time for the last ferry. I'd never try to catch the last ferry!

Plus, so many people apparently planning to catch the last tender made the ship's departure about an hour later than scheduled since those 3 tenders had to go back and forth. If N asked me, I'd tell them that.

Archived