Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey

Rhodes, Greece

Santorini, Greece

Naples/Capri, Italy

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

I was wondering if anyone could recommend both good places to eat (local food) as well as the types of souvenirs/gifts that are must-haves at these ports?

Thanks!

nutsngum: have to agree with Fblack in that your post questions would require a very lengthy reply indeed.

I also see that you are new to the boards.....with only 5 posts. We call you guys "newbies" :D

For some constructive help......you might try the search function on each forum..... example: search the Italy forum for "souveniers" or "shopping" and see what pops up. For your query on restaurants - that is even harder as many of these places are big cities..... to have one restaurant suggested and then for you to have to find that one restaurant when you are there doesnt make sense. It would all depend on where you are staying (if pre and post cruise stays are in order) and best advice is to ask a local..... they always eat at the good places..... ;)

Hope this helps and have fun researching your trip - we all do :p

I'm going on the Star Princess departing on 11/10 to the following ports:

Venice, Italy

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Corfu, Greece

Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Rhodes, Greece

Santorini, Greece

Naples/Capri, Italy

I was wondering if anyone could recommend both good places to eat (local food) as well as the types of souvenirs/gifts that are must-haves at these ports?

Thanks!

Hello nutsngum,

You may find it helpful to check the Ports section here on Cruise Critic. You will find lots of useful information for each port, including an "Overview" and "Quick Facts" with brief information on topics:

Language

Currency & Best Way to Get Money

Best Souvenir

Where You're Docked

Getting Around

Watch Out For

Don't Miss

Been There, Done That

Accommodations

Lunching

Shore Excursions

Staying in Touch

Go to various websites, just Google a phrase as simple as, "Rome tourism" and you will find MANY sites to research. Just do a little homework so you can "know before you go".

Watch some Rick Steves videos. He has great information. You can find his videos on Hulu. Check out his books, or other travel books at the library.

Cruise Critic folks are helpful, but really it is up to you to be an informed traveler.

My tip for restaurants, look for where you see the locals eating.

Have a great cruise. I will be on the Star Princess in July, same itinerary.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry I'll work on narrowing down my asks in the future

Get to know some of the crew members, since they have been to these ports many times, they might be able to help you out on where to eat. Everything else is personal taste. Do a little research on these ports and find out what their known for. Personally I prefer taking pictures a lot lighter to carry and if you see something you like, you can always order online.

I'll be right behind you on RCCL 11/13

Have fun

I added a few notes below

Venice, Italy

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Corfu, Greece

Athens (Piraeus), Greece - You can spend a fortune or next to nothing to dine in Athens. If you want traditional food go to Souvlaki Row near the Plaka area and dine at one of the "fast food" places. We also ate at two places that we just wandered into in the areas below the Acropolis and both were wonderful.

Also do not hesitate to try the street foods. Wonderful, and take the time to enjoy a coffee or Ouzo!

Mykonos, Greece - We discovered a couple of places that we enjoyed. Any of the Tavernas along the water front will provide a great sea food lunch.

4691021380_36d22ea91a_b_d.jpg

For dinner we wandered away from the water front and found a beautiful outside restaurant that served a great dinner. I wish I could remember the name, but if you head back from the main square and up the hill you can find it. Here was part of dinner:

4691054976_b08295b054_b_d.jpg

Rhodes, Greece

Santorini, Greece

We ate at the at a little restaurant my wife found. Here criteria for selection was that the family grandmother was giving the kids who ran the place more than they wanted to hear to keep the standards up. My wife was right. Just look around.

Naples/Capri, Italy

Thanks!

As far as souvenirs, that is tougher.

We bought carpets in Kusadasi along with Turkish Delight (It is a candy and make sure to get some that is fresh. I found a shop at the end of the pier in the shopping center selling it fresh. Also try some Turkish baklava.

We were not really looking but we bought some religious items on Mykonos (there is a wonderful icon painter who has a shop near the fish market.)

We found soem great buys on leather goods on Santorini.

Jewelery is also in demand. It never hurts to buy an "evil eye" or a mati, and ceramics on the islands make nice gifts.

Hope this helps.

I'm working on a website with a lot of information gathered when researching some of your ports for various cruises I've gone on.

It is a work in progress but there is a

souvenir section

ports of call you can find information on some of your specific ports.

Our Cruises - you'll find exactly what I did on the med and greek cruise

Hope the info will give you a starting point for your research

http://web.me.com/fsmaxwell/Site/About_Us.html

I'm working on a website with a lot of information gathered when researching some of your ports for various cruises I've gone on.

It is a work in progress but there is a

souvenir section

ports of call you can find information on some of your specific ports.

Our Cruises - you'll find exactly what I did on the med and greek cruise

Hope the info will give you a starting point for your research

http://web.me.com/fsmaxwell/Site/About_Us.html

What a great website! Good job!

Thanks, it's a work in progress.

My sister comes across many cruisers in her job and I got fed up off her asking me to send her info on the ports as she would never save the stuff I sent, so I decided it was worth pulling it all together in one place.

Venice, Italy sorry didn't go here

Dubrovnik, Croatia if you like wine go to D'Vinos you can find it on Trip Advisor...I loved it and you should try the tasting of the red local wines:D

Corfu, Greece We had saginaki which is fried haloumi cheese and I also found the best shoes on sale there...also i wish I had bought the cute Greek shoes with sheep skin lining and pom poms for gifts and myself...would have made great slippers an gifts...9.50 Euros and the cheapest in any of the Geek ports we went to!!! Also good jewellrey and worry beads...this was one of the cheapest ports for those type of souvineers...buy at this port.

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece Nothing here ...great waterfront cafes and coffee shops with free wireless internet so unless you go to Olympia...I didn't...there is not much to see....the shops are expensive too!!!

Athens (Piraeus), Greece We ate at the Plaka...plenty of great eateries and once again if you like drinks try Bretto's which is the oldest distilary in Athens...look on Trip Advisor again..I loved this place.

[/colorMykonos, Greece Sorry didn't go here

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey Very agressive sales people...so unless you are willing to haggle and fight it is just too hard...I did buy a great dress and a Fez and some shawls....we had freinds that bought some really nice leather jackets...but don't bother with Turkish delight unless its fresh and not in packaging...I have eaten better in Australia!!! We did eat at Ali Babas and it faces out on to where the ships dock..very nice and not expensive.

Rhodes, Greece Didn't go sorry.

Santorini, Greece I found the best cheap jewellry for gifts...there is a shop just near the cable cars you can't miss it as it is very good....all the girls back home loved the rings and neclaces I bought them...we also got some great bronze miniture statues...cheaper than most places...I would have bought glass and leather goods too but I ran out of time!!!

Naples/Capri, Italy We went on a tour but if you get to Positano I loved the clothes and if you go past Sorrento the pottery is great.

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Lots of shops and the market for food is the place to eat...not anything special just all good and fun:D

Thanks!

I hope this helps as we only got back two weeks ago..I have a review on our cruise here is the link...I know it is not with you ship but some of the ports are the same:D

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=73447

Enjoy your wonderful holiday!!!

Archived