To think about, before you go.

1. Most persons overpack, we go with one 21 inch roller bag. Yes, it works if you plan well, try it, you will see. If it does not go in the roller bag, it does not go, yes for a 30+ day cruise. :)

2. Many shore excursions are available on the dock or on the site of the port, they will usually be way below the price on the ship.

3. Better get on to washing your hands, about 10 times a day. Do not touch food. Take some soap and wash the fixtures and the door nobs and the phone, all stuff in the cabin, once a day. Yes, do it.

4. I public restrooms, be careful, be hygiene conscious. They can be bad. :eek:

5. Do not, do not believe the travel groups or agencies that say they can get the best price and (unsold cabins)! Shop around, those who boast are the ones who have the highest prices. Check around, a lot, keep checking and do not believe the garbage, (unsold cabins), best deals etc., that is really just to turn you on to their site.

1. Most persons overpack, we go with one 21 inch roller bag. Yes, it works if you plan well, try it, you will see. If it does not go in the roller bag, it does not go, yes for a 30+ day cruise. :)

2. Many shore excursions are available on the dock or on the site of the port, they will usually be way below the price on the ship.

3. Better get on to washing your hands, about 10 times a day. Do not touch food. Take some soap and wash the fixtures and the door nobs and the phone, all stuff in the cabin, once a day. Yes, do it.

5. Do not, do not believe the travel groups or agencies that say they can get the best price and (unsold cabins)! Shop around, those who boast are the ones who have the highest prices. Check around, a lot, keep checking and do not believe the garbage, (unsold cabins), best deals etc., that is really just to turn you on to their site.

On items 2 through 5 agree 100%.

On item 1 working on it, not there yet.

Thanks

Really didn't think about this, but now I know. Thanks

Very good! After 10 or so cruises over many years, I find myself getting older (DW isn't, of course;)) and not strong enough to handle a large suitcase and big carryon. Some clothes can be worn more than once, some are easy to wash and others are made of different materials which take up different amounts of space.

A tip given us after several cruises in which we got back home with a suitcase and half of dirty clothes: During the year you throw away several sets of underwear, set them aside one wash before that and throw them away on the ship instead. Last cruise, I packed some together and wrapped them in plastic and was able to save a lot of space by doing that tightly. The room you save can be used for the souvenier Tshirts you buy or whatever.:p

Great tip on the underwear!!

I do the throw-away with my toiletries too. I either use travel sizes that I can toss on the last day/night or I bring full-size that is running low so I can throw those away on the last night too.

And get creative with packing. I read to put the wife's shoes inside the husbands shoes. That was a great tip. I also take one purse I carry as I fly, one fancy purse, and one for shore excursions. I pack jewelry and small stuff in those - always in zip lock bags.

Thank you for the tips. I have some questions. Do you mean a 21 inch bag for 1 or for 2. Also, I'm leaving in a week on a 12 day European River cruise. The weather will probably be on the cool side. What would you bring on such a trip. I'm trying to bring as little as I can. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bonjour Katiecat,

To answer your question regarding how to fit warmer clothes when packing light -- my solution is that I wear ``all`` of my warmer clothes on the plane as it is usually cool on flights anyways. So I will wear layers: a short sleeve shirt, topped with a long sleeve shirt, topped with a sweater, topped with a light jacket! It saves a bit of space in my luggage and during the trip I have a long sleeve, a sweater or a light jacket to choose from and if it gets really cool I`ll wear the three together;)!

I`m assuming that your river cruise will be in Easter Europe so here is a little tip - in 2000 I went to Eastern Europe land trip for my honeymoon in September and it was quite cool. I regretted not bringing more long sleeve shirts. We ended up buying a sweater each in Prague!

Have fun and happing cruising!

Bonjour Katiecat,

To answer your question regarding how to fit warmer clothes when packing light -- my solution is that I wear ``all`` of my warmer clothes on the plane as it is usually cool on flights anyways. So I will wear layers: a short sleeve shirt, topped with a long sleeve shirt, topped with a sweater, topped with a light jacket! It saves a bit of space in my luggage and during the trip I have a long sleeve, a sweater or a light jacket to choose from and if it gets really cool I`ll wear the three together;)!

I`m assuming that your river cruise will be in Easter Europe so here is a little tip - in 2000 I went to Eastern Europe land trip for my honeymoon in September and it was quite cool. I regretted not bringing more long sleeve shirts. We ended up buying a sweater each in Prague!

Thank you. The forecast for the day I'm leaving is 78 degrees from where I'm leaving, and 60 degrees high in Prague. So, I think I'll wear a short sleeve top, and take a fleece jacket. Other than the one short sleeve, I'm taking only long sleeve tops- 2 sweat shirts, and 4 sweaters (including 2 dressy ones). I'm also taking a vest, a nylon rain jacket, and a denim jacket. I can wear a sweatshirt, the fleece jacket, and the denim jacket over one another. I'm also taking long johns, gloves, a scarf, and a hat.

I do believe I did something wrong hear. It seems that I must have started writing in the middle of your quote. Sorry, I don't know how to fix it.

Very good! After 10 or so cruises over many years, I find myself getting older (DW isn't, of course;)) and not strong enough to handle a large suitcase and big carryon. Some clothes can be worn more than once, some are easy to wash and others are made of different materials which take up different amounts of space.

A tip given us after several cruises in which we got back home with a suitcase and half of dirty clothes: During the year you throw away several sets of underwear, set them aside one wash before that and throw them away on the ship instead. Last cruise, I packed some together and wrapped them in plastic and was able to save a lot of space by doing that tightly. The room you save can be used for the souvenier Tshirts you buy or whatever.:p

Throwing away underwear :confused: That wouldn't leave much extra space in my luggage. :(

I am praying to the God's of Luggage that I can be reasonable (1 garment/1 25inch case) when it comes to packing on my 10day cruise. LoL

I can mix and match tops & bottoms. It's the shoes that are giving me the most problem. I am trying to get away with 3 pairs of shoes each, NOT including the ones we are wearing.

I keep clorox wipes on me at ALL times! LoL So, if you stand still long enough, I might wipe you down with a clorox wipe.

Throwing away underwear :confused: That wouldn't leave much extra space in my luggage. :(

I'm sure it wouldn't do much fer the skinny-mini ladies, but 8 pair of boxers take up a little room. A little room in a carry-on sized bag is prized space. I'll do the same with socks and a couple tee shirts.

I roll all but my dress clothes. Those stay in dry cleaner bags and go in the large zipper flat space that folds over the large compartment. Stuff the shoes with toiletries. Fast dry material when possible. Convertible pants might make the next trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Good tips but I have to say nay to the old / one step away from the trash undies.... On a cruise I would want to feel pretty darn cute and rock'n some old skibbies would be the last thing on my packing list. ;)

~Stephanie

about toiletries: months ahead of time i scour the net and get all kind of single use toitleties samples for free and once they are used you toss the packaging. If your not to picky with what you use this works well. I also found out that the conditioner i was using before wasnt as good as one of the samples. you can also take on excursions that have showers. you can also get single use laundry detergent all for free. this came in handy last trip since I didnt want to spend the exorbent price of the detergent on the boat. It is kind of fun getting stuff for the cruise in the mail every few days.

Good tips but I have to say nay to the old / one step away from the trash undies.... On a cruise I would want to feel pretty darn cute and rock'n some old skibbies would be the last thing on my packing list. ;)

~Stephanie

hahahahahaha..... I'm single and travel with DD and wouldn't feel fabulous for formal night in some frayed panties!! My solution is those teeny stretchy microfiber ones -- bought them for our European cruise and they were fabulous because they can be washed out and dry overnight (unlike cotton granny panties :rolleyes:)

We just got back from a 7 day Western Med cruise on Royal Carribbean. We just loved it! Folowing are some of the tips I think are worthwhile:

Wear a watch - For those of us used to cell phones as our "pocket watch" this was so helpful when we were out on our own and had to watch our time so we could be on a train or back on the ship on time

Bring one pair of long black pants and several tops. Change out your jewelry or wear a scarf to change looks

Make a copy of your passport. Carry this when you are in port - leave your real one in your cabin safe. My husband wore a money belt with his sea pass, copy of passport, a credit card and euros in it. In my pocket - copy of my passport, sea pass card, lip gloss and two kleenex. That's it! I think it's best if you can do without your purse ladies. We knew at least two who lost $$, time, or wallet by losing track of their purses.

Travel light! I used the shampoo/conditioner provided by the ship. It was just fine. The ship also provides hairdryers, soap, towels etc.

We drank the ships water and bought individual bottles of water in port when we were thirsty and had no problems.

Leave the ship as early in the morning as you can. That gives you more time in port. You can always return early and have a nap if you need one.

Have fun!

Make a copy of your passport. Carry this when you are in port - leave your real one in your cabin safe. My husband wore a money belt with his sea pass, copy of passport, a credit card and euros in it. In my pocket - copy of my passport, sea pass card, lip gloss and two kleenex. That's it! I think it's best if you can do without your purse ladies. We knew at least two who lost $$, time, or wallet by losing track of their purses.

almost forgot that one!!! thanks, i have it now!!!

~Stephanie

I have to agree with you there. Cruising without the kiddos is when I want to wear the pretty new undies! ;)

Glad to know I'm not the only one that likes to bring new undies on vacation, especially when it's adults only. My hubby would probably be all over this idea for himself, though. I am trying to fit our stuff into 2 garment bags, 1 25 inch and a carry-on each...with little success. I have got to rethink this packing, it's insane!

With each cruise I get better at only packing what I need. I laugh when I think of all I brought on my first cruise--it was ridiculous! I guess I thought they weren't going to feed me so I brought a duffle bag full of snacks, and I'm embarrassed to admit--a brita water pitcher because I didn't know if the water would taste funny. Our cabin steward must have thought we were crazy.

I completely agree with jotabecu...

After a couple of years of cruising with 2 filled to capacity 26" suitcases, 2 garment bags, and 2 carryon rollers, only to pack on the last day of the cruise & notice that half of my clothes were never worn, I started researching this on the WWW.

I start by making a packing list, my DW laughs at me, until I pack everything in a carryon bag (20" roller).

There are a couple of websites dedicated to this, check out OBOW, a site dedicated to traveling with one carryon bag, no matter where the destination or length of the trip. For serious research into suitcases & carryon luggage check out the Travel Products forum on flyertalk.com. I learned alot about packing from those sites.

I did last years 10day cruise with the 20" roller, no problem at all. The nicest thing is that I have no worries about my luggage not getting there, no extra baggage fees, and, no waiting at the luggage area. Well that's not true, as I had to wait there for my DW's bag. I haven't quite convinced her yet to be a one-bagger, especially on a cruise.

As for the packing list, when in doubt, don't bring it. I wrote up a list, then came back to it a week later and removed items, rinse & repeat. I did this starting about 2 months before the cruise. (Yes - I was obsessed, I had to fit everything into the 20" roller). After 3-4 iterations I had my list, in fact it was so small that I upped the brief's and swim trunks to 3 to add some luxury to my cruise :) Once you have your list, do some trial packing (yes - my wife really get's a kick out of it when I do that). It is the only way to see what fits. I just can't imagine traveling any other way now.

Most of all - as others have said - the key is to enjoy yourself, otherwise, what's the point???

I'm working on getting 3 people packed into ONE large suitcase for our upcoming 7 day cruise. I use Kleinart's disposable dress shields in all of my tops so I can take the shield out and recycle the top another day. Works for day wear and evening wear for dinner. Also a minmun of shoes. Sneakers, crocs that double as water shoes, and sandles that double for evening.

2. Careful about grabbing shore excursions at the dock. They don't always tell you when admission fees are not included in their price. It's better to plan ahead and book well recommended tours that don't collect deposits or payments in advance.

3. Use hand sanitizer provided by the ship before and immediately after going through food lines. This cuts down on the germs left behind by those who don't wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before going in the buffet line.

• 4 weeks later...

almost forgot that one!!! thanks, i have it now!!!

we photocopy or scan ALL our credit and debit cards, passports, driving licence, insurance cards etc. Also our doctors and medical details. We keep one set at home, one set with our dgtr and one set with us. Plus of course one set is also on our computer.

If by chance (we hope not!) anything is mislaid or stolen, we do at least have all the account or card numbers etc with us.

Archived