Where Oceania Docks at Marseille

caroak

I spoke to Oceania and they said to expect Insignia to dock at Poste 95 which I believe is at Terminal de la Joliette in Marseille and closest to the city center. Can anyone confirm this to be accurate?

I also mentioned the shuttle issue and was told they have not been advised any any new shuttle policies. Will Oceania ever get it?:confused:

Both times we docked there we were at the dock just outside the city walls and opposite the new cathedral. I don't think the docking is guaranteed as all dockings are at the whim of the port authorities but I would feel pretty safe that it would dock there.

It is a short walk through the wall to the old port. No shuttle or taxi is needed unless you are elsewhere in the city at the end of a long day.

Don't miss the little train that goes up to the church (Notre Dame de la Garde), it is well worth it. It leaves from the end of the old port.

We were told that Oceania ships dock at two areas, depending on whether it is an enroute port of call (near the old port) or the emarkation/debarkation port (in the industrial area).

The embarkation/debarkation ports require stocking of supplies which cannot be done at the place near the old port.

Our own cruise on the Insignia started in Marseille at the industrial site, but while we were in Marseille pre-cruise, we say one of Insignia's sister ships at the old port place enroute.

We will be in route when we dock at Marseille. At first the agent told me they don't know until 24 hours in advance where the ship will dock. I then asked him where Oceania has docked in the past so he put me on hold and checked with someone and came back with the Poste 95 answer. He also knew that we will not be there until May 2011 so it sounds like the "in route" factor is what enabled him to come up with the dock number.

We were told that Oceania ships dock at two areas, depending on whether it is an enroute port of call (near the old port) or the emarkation/debarkation port (in the industrial area).

The embarkation/debarkation ports require stocking of supplies which cannot be done at the place near the old port.

Our own cruise on the Insignia started in Marseille at the industrial site, but while we were in Marseille pre-cruise, we saw one of Insignia's sister ships at the old port place enroute.

We were enroute and still docked outside the city in the industrial area.

We were enroute and still docked outside the city in the industrial area.

If I understood what we were told, the industrial port is a necessity for embarkation/debarkation, but enroute docking could be at either, depending on the availability near the Old Port.

Here's a photo of the enroute Nautica docked near the Old Port while we were pre-cruise and a photo of the industrial port were our ship (Insignia) was docked. Insignia was docked roughly where the leftmost cruise ship is located in the distance. In the left foreground, you can see the Old Port where Nautica was docked.

N10_7023_Web.jpg.9905c2248bf98b0597534f453517742d.jpg

N10_6874_Web.jpg.32a3833fafb177c35102b25a0ed4515e.jpg

Archived