My Husband's Vacation cancelled

im4clowns

My husband works for the government. Before I booked our cruise in May for the Glory leaving 11/7/10 both my husband and I submitted our time to our respective companies. We both were approved. My husband called me at work and told me that they had a briefing and all vacations scheduled for Oct 1st and beyond are cancelled and will need to be re-bid. They haven't told them when the re-bid will occur, only that it is a day by day decision.

I am hopeful that he will get approved....but if not I am going to be besides myself....we booked a suite since for 4 of us and have two other cabins booked for family. I took insurance out but didn't get the cancel for any reason since we had been approved. If he can't go, I will go but it won't be the same without DH!!

Did you book Early SAver?? If not for $50 you can change to someone else to cruise with, worse comes to worse. ES you are stuck like me. Im going to do a couple by myself next year.

We did Es! I would have so paid the 50 and took my niece along and have her be my nanny!

Well that just bites, could he maybe explain that he booked a trip because they approved his vacation time? I don't think it's fair, hopefully hubby can go,keep us posted.

I am hoping they will do that! Plus it's not a holiday time so hopefully those with more seniority won't want that week!

I took insurance out but didn't get the cancel for any reason since we had been approved. If he can't go, I will go but it won't be the same without DH!!

What's your insurance company? Even though you didn't get "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance, your policy may still include "Cancel for Work Reason" insurance.

I got insurance through Travel Guard (Gold) for our August cruise. A month before the cruise, I was assigned to a new position at work and my vacation was cancelled. My money was refunded 100%!

I had to send them a notarized letter from my employer stating that I would be required to work, along with a copy of the cruise invoice, proof of cruise payment, the cruise line's cancellation policy, and proof of any refunds. It took about 45 days to get my refund, but I'm glad I took that insurance!

Man, that is sure not fun. Looks like you are past final payment.

Does the cabin hold 3?? If so you could pay the 3rd person rate for your niece to go with you and hubby is a no show if he cant go.

Iv been going over all the angles myself trying to figure out ways to make my cruises work and booked that darn ES. ES is great when it works, not so much when something comes up.

Man, that is sure not fun. Looks like you are past final payment.

Does the cabin hold 3?? If so you could pay the 3rd person rate for your niece to go with you and hubby is a no show if he cant go.

Iv been going over all the angles myself trying to figure out ways to make my cruises work and booked that darn ES. ES is great when it works, not so much when something comes up.

In her original post she said that there are 4 of them in a suite. Maybe she can add a fifth.

you should have him have the form or whatever he has to fill out and i would write right on it "prior to this change for resubmittal of vacation requests and my time was approved before so we booked and paid for a family cruise that i will lose out on all monies paid. I do hope that you will give me this time off, thank you for your attention to this."

i'm hoping he gets his time off, that would definately be a huge bummer

In her original post she said that there are 4 of them in a suite. Maybe she can add a fifth.

nope, she is on the glory (glory doesnt allow 5 to cabins). Well, sounds like there isnt a way out I can think of.

..when ES doesnt work .. it really doesnt work. .. OP I wish I could think of a way to help.

What's your insurance company? Even though you didn't get "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance, your policy may still include "Cancel for Work Reason" insurance.

I got insurance through Travel Guard (Gold) for our August cruise. A month before the cruise, I was assigned to a new position at work and my vacation was cancelled. My money was refunded 100%!

I had to send them a notarized letter from my employer stating that I would be required to work, along with a copy of the cruise invoice, proof of cruise payment, the cruise line's cancellation policy, and proof of any refunds. It took about 45 days to get my refund, but I'm glad I took that insurance!

Yes! I also purchase Travel Guard Gold and does include the cancel for work reason.......we get it for this very reason.......

OP check your policy.......

My husband works for the government.

What government does he work for? The state of denial?

That is absurd. What does "re-bid" mean anyway? You have to bid for vacation? Ask the employer to show you where it is written that they have the authority to cancel prior approved vacation.

Question: if you get sick, do you get time off? What about personal time, if you have a nervous breakdown, can you get a week off?

Well, just have an "episode" just before your cruise and call in.

What government does he work for? The state of denial?

That is absurd. What does "re-bid" mean anyway? You have to bid for vacation? Ask the employer to show you where it is written that they have the authority to cancel prior approved vacation.

Question: if you get sick, do you get time off? What about personal time, if you have a nervous breakdown, can you get a week off?

Well, just have an "episode" just before your cruise and call in.

OP lives in Florida, home of the "Right to Work" movement. Regardless of who her husband works for, if he calls in sick/asks for personal time, his place of employment would have ever single right to terminate him. It's one of the crappy things about living/working here, and it's one of the reasons why our unemployment rate is so high!

OP I feel for you big time - hopefully your husband will be able to "get back" the week that he had requested. I'd hate to see him get fired if he called in sick, went on the cruise, and got caught.

OP lives in Florida, home of the "Right to Work" movement. ............, and it's one of the reasons why our unemployment rate is so high!

Are you seriously saying that if FL was NOT a "right to work" state, that there would be more jobs in FL?

Has your husband gone to his employer and told them that he has already paid for his vacations....... you have the proof that it paid for...

feel for you but vacations are important to me I have major attitude also ....... I would quit I could careless about any job I always find something and never have to collect unemployment

but that is my choice and it is me,,,,, government jobs are not easy to get

going to to Aistralia for 5 to 8 weeks asked for the time off ... boss asks what if I don't give you the time off ..... my reply was Good Bye now we are discussing this matter as he knows I am serious... not worried

Has your husband gone to his employer and told them that he has already paid for his vacations....... you have the proof that it paid for...

feel for you but vacations are important to me I have major attitude also ....... I would quit I could careless about any job I always find something and never have to collect unemployment

but that is my choice and it is me,,,,, government jobs are not easy to get

going to to Aistralia for 5 to 8 weeks asked for the time off ... boss asks what if I don't give you the time off ..... my reply was Good Bye now we are discussing this matter as he knows I am serious... not worried

LOL! Come live in the U.S. and try that right now:p

I'm sorry for the op and her family. The job situation is tough right now. Last May this happened to my son-in-law on a land based vacation. Our family which is a big family gets together at a home on the ocean each summer. He didn't know if he could go until a wk before the trip. I hope it works out well for your husband too.

A right to work state does not mean right to make promises and then break them. A company's word should be its bond. If circumstances change, companies can find a way around them without cancelling vacation.

Now, if the place can fire you for no reason, they they will fire you if they want to, vacation or not. So if they fire you for taking the vacation, they will fire you if you don't take the vacation.

If they don't need you they will fire you... if they do need you they will keep you (especially if you are a good worker and are well-liked.) That's how it works. Vacation won't matter.

If I was him, I'd visit the Doctor a few days before the trip. Tell him he's not feeling well. Too stressed with work and needs a break. The doc will give him at least a week off. No need to worry that the employer will find out what his illness is. For short illnesses Doctors will only say he is off under doctors care. Then he can bugger off. In the meantime, tell him not to make a big stink about the vacation and when he's away try not to get too much sun.

This works, trust me.

Archived