Husbands middle name not on ticket..

tigercat

When my TA did the ticket for my husband she got his first and last name right but his middle name did not get put on the ticket. He has all 3 names on his passport. The TA said that she called the airline and that the middle name was on another part that I don't see so no problem. I am really afraid of getting to the airport and finding out that they will not allow him to fly. Should I be really worried about this? I am from Canada so we need the passports. Mine is fine.

tigercat

This is part of the e-mail I got from American Airlines a couple of days ago - it depends on when you're flying. Can you check the reservation on the airlines website?

The next phase in this program requires that effective November 1, all passengers have Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD) in their reservation at least 72 hours prior to departure. You will be unable to travel without providing this information.

How will this affect you?

In compliance with this mandate, you will be required to provide Secure Flight Passenger Data (full name, date of birth, gender and redress number*, if applicable):

• To purchase any ticket on or after September 15, 2010, regardless of travel date
  • To travel November 1, 2010, or later, regardless of purchase date

Take steps now to be sure you are ready to travel.

You will need to provide Secure Flight Passenger Data:

• If it was not provided when you made your reservation
  • For reservations made prior to adding SFPD to your AAdvantage® account profile
  • For all future reservations

I don't fly but I do make airline reservations for two bosses and four computer programmers in my office. When I make these reservations I am told by the booking agent that their "airline tickets must match the name on their driver's license."

Call your TA back and ask him/her to please issue you new tickets and that any extra fee to do so will be handle by their agency.

Hi,

I have never used my middle name when booking even though it is on my passport and I never have had a problem when checking in.

Linda

It has been fine in the past but Homeland Security is beginning to roll out the stricter guidelines starting with Airlines 1st and I'm sure Cruiselines will follow.

I've updated my SFPD in my airline memberships and expect within the year to have to do so with Carnival as well.

I don't understand this business about 'the info is correct but you can't see it' that she said to you.

Sounds like she made an error and is trying to fluff you off and leave you to deal with it when you get to the airport.

Be firm with her she should supply you with proof that she made the reservation in the proper name and the records are correct. If she flubbed up, she needs to fix it.

I don't understand this business about 'the info is correct but you can't see it' that she said to you.

Sounds like she made an error and is trying to fluff you off and leave you to deal with it when you get to the airport.

Be firm with her she should supply you with proof that she made the reservation in the proper name and the records are correct. If she flubbed up, she needs to fix it.

I think what she means by this is that when you view your reservation online, their names will be in the format that they originally booked the tickets with, but in the airline's computer system they have inputted the full information needed to clear TSA.

I would not want to take that 'for granted' and assume that to be the case.

You may be (and well may be) correct but who needs the hassle at the airport and possible refusal to board if that is not the case.

This happened about 4 years ago flying LAX to San Juan.

My brother's first and last name is the same as his son (who was around 12 at the time). Their middle name is different, thus they are not Senior and Junior. However, we often call him Jr because of the first/last name thing. His TA, who is a personal friend has heard him called that and without giving it a second thought put Jr. at the end of his name. The airline didn't like it. Maybe it was because he was a minor child flying with only one parent (yes we had the proper paperwork) or whatever their issue was, who knows, but it was a HUGE mess. He had to call his TA at 4:00 am, she had to go into the office and take care of this problem before they'd let him check in by removing "Jr" from his ticket to match his ID and papers. Took him about an hour standing at the check in. Time was getting tight.

My point is - you just never know what they will call you on. We were all stressed that they wouldn't make the plane. Is it really worth it to be unsure?

I have never used my middle name when booking even though it is on my passport and I never have had a problem when checking in.

I concur; this has never been an issue for us. Everyone's middle name is on their passport but I doubt everyone's middle name is on their ticket or boarding pass. Hmm.

I concur; this has never been an issue for us. Everyone's middle name is on their passport but I doubt everyone's middle name is on their ticket or boarding pass. Hmm.

With "Secure Flight" after Nov 1 everything will have to match and you have to put in age and gender too. Prior to Sept 15 (I think) the airlines usually didn't have a middle name space when you made your reservation - now they do. I just checked the American Airlines website and all 3 names are included - the middle name isn't required but if you have all 3 names on your DL and passport you will need to fill it in.

Be advised that this is reportedly something new - effective November 1, 2010 (possibly different dates for different airlines are being phased in, not sure).

Be advised that this is reportedly something new - effective November 1, 2010 (possibly different dates for different airlines are being phased in, not sure).

Secure Flight actually started in August, 2009, but the airlines were allowed time to update their data processing capabilities to comply with the new requirements, so the program has been phased in on an airline by airline basis. Some airlines have been requiring the match of name to identification document for the better part of the past year.

Even where an airline is in full compliance with Secure Flight, the name printed on the boarding pass or eticket may not exactly match the full name carried on the airline's internal data record because of space constraints. The primary purpose of the program is not as much to match the name on the boarding pass to the drivers license or passport as it is for DHS to be able to match the names submitted on the airline's manifest to terrorist watch lists.

From TSA's Secure Flight FAQs:

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/secureflight/faqs.shtm

If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch lists.

Due to differences in boarding pass systems, boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide when booking your travel is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences between the passenger's ID and the passenger name printed on the boarding pass, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, or hyphens and apostrophes should not cause a problem for the passenger.

Hi,

Linda

Me neither....DH and I travel extensively, have done many cruises... and neither of us have ever used middle names, even though they're both on passports.

Also... when my husband uses his middle name for ANYTHING.... it causes confusion... because his middle name is J. (yes, just J!!)

Me neither....DH and I travel extensively, have done many cruises... and neither of us have ever used middle names, even though they're both on passports.

Also... when my husband uses his middle name for ANYTHING.... it causes confusion... because his middle name is J. (yes, just J!!)

Ah, the Southern initial. :) My mom's family was from Tennessee and she had a male cousin - J R - just the initials, no first name - no middle name. Just thing what kind of problem that would cause.

Read below:

June 2010 OnePass Statement Message

The message in your June OnePass Statement regarding Secure Flight requires clarification. While it is necessary for the name you provide for Secure Flight while making your reservation match the name on your government-issued ID, it is not mandatory that the name on your ticket or OnePass account match your ID. For more information, go to tsa.gov.

Thanks that's the site I stumbled on today while trying to find out more information. There is a part that says that you are to send information 72 hrs before a flight and that goes behind the scene. It would clear up any problems with the passport. Thanks everyone for their answers. I knew I could get the answers.

tigercat

Archived