Livorno to Volterra

nancycoop1

We would like to spend the day in Volterra after docking at Livorno. Does anyone know if it is possible on public transportation (bus, train etc.) or what the cost might be to hire a taxi?

Also - are there tour guides at the port we can hire?

Thanks

We would like to spend the day in Volterra after docking at Livorno. Does anyone know if it is possible on public transportation (bus, train etc.) or what the cost might be to hire a taxi?

Also - are there tour guides at the port we can hire?

Thanks

There are limited (4-5 per day) trains servicing Voltera, and all by connection in Cecina. Some of the connections are by bus. I would opt to (1) rent a car or (2) hire a driver.

It can be done by public transit, but it's not easy ... you really have to want to do this.

Although there are a couple of ways to get there by train and bus, the schedules for the route through Cecina are set up for those leaving Voltera in the morning for school or work, and returning in the afternoon. Therefore, you need to go via Pontedera.

The morning bus from Pontedera to Voltera leaves at 9:24 AM, so you must make the 8:10 train from Livorno Centrale, which arrives in Pontedera at 8:46.

The 9:24 bus arrives in Voltera at 10:40 (schedule here: http://www.cpt.pisa.it/orari/extra/linea500.htm).

Returning, you really need to leave by 2 PM to get back, which makes for a lot of travel with not much "there" time. On the schedule linked above, you'll see a bus from Voltera at 2:02 PM that arrives at Pontedera at 3:23. From there, the next train to Livorno is at 3:36, arriving at 4:18. The limiting factor on the return is the bus schedule.

It would be much better to take the train to Saline, which is only about six miles from Volterra, and a taxi from there. However, I have no idea about the availability of taxis at the station in Saline and I just checked the train schedule ... there are no morning trains, unfortunately. Pontedera really is your only option via train.

I wish folks would quit posting things like this because we like to Volterra a secret from most cruise passengers :). So far, most of the tours stay away which is just the way we, and many others, like it so that this delightful town does not get totally ruined by hoards of buses. That being said, your best way to get from Livorno to Volterra is to simply rent a car (Hertz will deliver right to the pier) and drive yourself. It really is not a difficult drive, and if you rent a GPS it makes the navigations even easier. With a car you can even combine Volterra with a visit to Colle Val d'Elsa (shhhhh don't tell anyone about this town either) or San Gimignano.

Hank

Hank,

We thought that Volterra was rubbish (do you think that will work).

Seriously, it was one of the highlights of our cruise and we have been back several times. Celebrity do a Tuscan countryside tour, that includes a very good meal at a local vineyard with lots of very fine wines.

Andy

For some reason this conversation reminds me of the scene in Pretty Woman when Richard Gere's character calls Julia Roberts' character and tells her not to answer then phone, then calls her back and, when she answers, says "I told you not to answer the phone". Her response is "then quit calling me".

However, all of our chatter is a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to the noise created by the Twilight series.

I was just going to mention the Twilight thing. Even the tourist bureau in Volterra now has a Twilight map to show the fans where things happened. I ended up bringing a few back for some of my co-workers who were Twilight fans - they were so happy with them! I didn't have the heart to tell them that, even Volterra is the place mentioned in Twilight, they acutally used Moltepulciano locations in the movie:eek:

First, it was Cortona and the "Under the Tuscan Sun" thing. Now, it's Volterra. Give me Montalcino and several glasses of it's Brunello a day, and I'd be a happy camper!

Archived