$30K or so to spend on a SB cruise for two

curiousx

Our SB cruises in the past have been only 7-12 days and we'd like to sign up for a longer one, probably in Fall 2011. We like seadays as well as visiting smaller ports. We love snorkelling and sailing and dancing. We speak French, English and a bit of German, if that makes any difference. We don't like cold weather. We'd prefer to be on one of the triplets. We're happy with an A1 suite though have usually benefitted from upgrades..are these as common for the longer voyages as they are for the short ones.

With a budget of $30-$35K for two, what would you those of you experienced with longer cruises recommend for us? All advice gratefully received.

unless you ve been there,,,really lovely, also Adriatic sea,,,many great and scenic ports....of course,,always caribbean,,,but I live in Fl..and close so not as adventurous....hey,,how about south seas,,,australia area,,,sorry,,,,maybe too many choices from me,,,PS...plus now I want to go with you..haha....PS...save some of budget to splurge on first class flights...Did S.America but was not that impressed with many of the ports,,just a few,,plus Rio and BA,of course....didnt go around tip though,,too rough for me...let us know,,,what a great choice,,,I m envious.....:)

Thanks for the feed back and advice - keep it coming please!

I love the West Indies but we are going to be there for 6 weeks this winter (as we do every year) and have already done two Caribbean cruises and Panama Canal with Seabourn in prior years. So probably looking for something new!

We also know Europe and the Mediterranean quite well from having lived in England and Germany for some years (currently based centrally in North America so can really leave from anywhere). Sailed the Med in a private yacht as well as lots of other land trips and loved it but probably not ready to repeat.

I've done a land and barge tour of Egypt (with Insight) but would be happy to repeat with Seabourn as it would be a first for my guy and was a fabulous trip.

ALEXANDRA CRUISER - thanks for the reminder about saving some pennies for air fare.

JANE BP, I thought it got pretty cold going around the tip of South America...I don't mind rough seas but cold is OUT if my understanding is correct.

Definitely interested in the Norwegian fjords (in temperate times), Dalmation Coast, Barrier Reef, New Zealand, South-East Asia. And Egypt (as previously mentioned). Do any of you have preferences among or advice about these voyages?

I'd also like to repeat my question about the availability of upgrades for longer term voyages...we're happy with A1 cabins but on our shorter trips, have benefitted from generous upgrades and wonder what people have experienced. We've met longer term passengers who booked A1 guaranty and had it for the whole trip (40 days in their case).

The SA cruise is during their summertime. I was not cold, but I did pack a sweater and windbreaker. It was a bit bouncy around the Cape, but I had booked a land stay in BA so got off in Ushuia and then re-boarded a week later in BA. That was a wonderful option.

Seems as if the Northern Capitals can be miserable during the summer, cold and wet as it is now. Terry had great luck with the weather as I did several years ago.

The Pyramids are at the top of my 'bucket' list. I doubt the Mid-East itineraries are chilly.

The Hong Kong to Singapore is a spectacular trip. It is their summer in December and January so the weather is lovely--at least it was on our trip. If you want to be on board for longer than 14 days, there is one that goes on to China. Haven't done that on Seabourn, but it's sure to be wonderful.

there were a lot of COLD days on the South American circumnavigation....and I also believe that is now done on the Odyssey not the Pride..... $30 to $35 would only pay for ONE person. Maybe the first part of the South American cruise....or the last part which takes in the Amazon....that was fantastic and also HOT and I plan on doing it all again!! :D

The Hong Kong to Singapore is a spectacular trip. It is their summer in December and January so the weather is lovely--at least it was on our trip.

Singapore has tropical climate and is hot and humid all year round. It doesn't have seasons. Temperature averages 30C during the day throughout the year.

Hong Kong winters are generally from Dec to Feb, when it gets cold (by HK standard), especially around Chinese New Year, which will next fall on Feb 3, 2011 (Year of the Rabbit).

Okay---here's my two cents....The best cruise we have ever taken (we've done Europe, Black Sea, New Zealand, Australlia, Caribbean, river cruise in Europe, Mexico, Hawaii) was our cruise in the South Pacific. We were on the Tahitian Princess. It is the only cruise that I've ever been on that I want to do again. We are doing Bangkok to Hong Kong next March which is why I was on this board but we absolutely loved the South Pacific. The weather was fantastic....not too hot but perfect for water activities, the people were wonderful and the scenery was gorgeous. We had a balcony cabin which was perfect. I think we're going to try this again in April 2012 with Oceania.

Hi there first time poster....but don't hold it against me !

I would agree with previous post, my partner and I had the most fabulous trip ever ( we have been lucky enough to travel all over the world both independently and through work) when we cruised on Tahitian Princess around French Polynesia and the islands of the South Pacific. The seas are the most beautiful I have ever seen, the people friendly and welcoming and for snorkeling more wonderful than even the Maldives. The people we met onboard were a diverse and friendly group. We are undertaking our first Seabourn cruise next month and can't wait, reading the forums am sure we won't be disappointed.

If you could combine a luxury line with the beauty of French Polynesia I am sure you would not be dissapointed.

The Odyssey has a nice trip in Jan. '12 that would take you to French Polynesia, but that might be out of your time frame.

I hesitate to recommend another line as it wouldn't be Seabourn but the Paul Gauguin is in FP all the time and it's a wonderful line. They don't have fall 2011 posted yet but there are usually several difffernt itineraries that you might consider doing a B2B.

Thanks for all these suggestions.

The South Pacific Paul Gaughin itineraries sound really special although I visited their website and found it very frustrating - it demands all kinds of personal info before allowing access to their e-brochures.

How does PG compare to Seabourn in terms of service quality and food? I'd really hate to take a step backwards!

What are the arrival and departure ports? Which airlines did you use? Guess I will be contacting my TA soon.

I read with interest the suggestion about going with Princess but I have sailed that line once and, frankly, never again. The itinerary was fantastic (Alaska) and we thoroughly enjoyed it - but the ship was waaaaay too big and the food consistently mediocre. As well, we loathed the constant nickel and diming, the tacky 'shows', and the immense amount of space given over to art auctions, bingo, gambling. Sorry bout that.

It would be a little step backwards, but that is the only upscale option (to my knowledge). Search the Cruise Critic boards for the PG. They will have more recent info than I can give you.

As far as I know, they use only Papeete as their main port. I haven't kept up with their itineraries.

BTW - just a thought, but LAN Chile flies Papeete to Easter Island. If you are looking for a way to spend up to $30K, you could save some of that and fly to EI for a 3-4 night visit. (Two nights are not enough.) That is one unforgettable trip!

I think Tahitian Princess would be a step backwards compared to Seabourn, though we will experience it for the first time next month. The Tahitian is a smaller ship than the ones doing Alaska/ Caribbean etc, I am not sure if it has now repositioned but when we sailed it's home port was Pappetee. We flew from Lon via NYC with Air Tahiti (business out, quite good, first class back was absolutely excellent).

I have also cruised South America a couple of times (following several years of cruising as a pax worked for some time on P&O/Cunard) and found it a great place to visit. Buenos Aires was fabulous and for sheer beauty the Chilean Fjords and Ushaia. Wherever you decide it sounds like you will have a great trip.

Paul

Although Paul Gauguin offers a very nice product it is not imo of the quality of Seabourn. You book the ship for its intimate exploration of the area, a much more comprehensive one than you would get at Seabourn. So the question becomes which is more important to you, the ship itself or you experience ashore.

Off topic, please forgive me.

Am sailing Ocean Princess next month and expecting a step backwards from SB. Chose by itinerary--W.Africa--which SB doesn't do. At least I don't expect to be tempted by the food. Back on Seabourn in March .

One other suggestion if you decide on French Polynesia, we stayed in the over water bungaloes at the Sheraton in Moorea precruise. It was the first precruise we've ever booked through a cruisline but in this case it was cheaper than booking it ourselves. We are a little jaded with beach resorts as we are from Florida and have travelled extensively in the Caribbean but this was an incredible experience.....really special. As far as the Tahitian Princess, now known as the Ocean Princess, the food was very good as were the cabins. The people on the cruise were great and we booked several activities with cruisers we met on the Cruise Critic Roll Call. I have heard that the Paul Gauguin is more upscale than the Princess. All I can say is that I wouldn't miss this itinerary because it's not on Seabourn. We will be using Seabourn for our next cruise because of the itinerary and the dates but I wouldn't hesitate to do French Polynesia on Oceania, Paul Gauguin or Princess (and I am very picky about food). Check out the cruise critic reviews for these cruise lines and French Polynesia...maybe that will help you with a decision.

Archived