Packing Tips

court1683

Leaving in 2 weeks on our honeymoon aboard the LOS. This is our first cruise so we were looking for a few packing tips. Things not to forget or to leave at home. I know in the past I have seen an "ultimate packing list" on one of the message boards, but I cannot seem to find it today. We look forward to your response.

Don't forget the binoculars and sunscreen...that's about it! Most of the stuff on those packing lists are things that can totally be done without...at least, for 1 week! RCI cabins have good storage, so you don't really need all those "organizational" items...

Don't know if this is what you were looking for but here's a couple of links that I found helpful.

Happy Cruising!!!!!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1156312

Tips and Guide for things you should know!

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90&

Watch the 3rd short video for how to pack!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1145425

Funny posts to read and helpful too!

Court1683 congrats on your upcoming wedding and cruise. As a first time cruiser 3 weeks ago I was so over prepared. I had it all, power strips, extensions cord, hamper, hanging shoe bag, bungie cords, too too many clothes outfits, and so much more.

Lesson learned, take 3 light weight dresses, 4 mix and match bathing suits, several suit coverups, flip flops and that is it. All those capri's, slacks, tops and shorts will never come off the hangers. I did not even need a light sweater in the evening. The ship is so nice you will not need anything else, really.

My next cruise I know I will be able to pack all in a single small suit case and bathroom things in a small back pack. Good luck with packing, go light you will have no regrets.

I found this tip a few years ago here. We are now addicted. We pack undies, swimsuits, shoes, jewelry and anything that will fit into different sized zip locks from snack size (jewelry) to 2-1/2 gal (shoes). When we get to the cabin, we swipe the drawers with an antiseptic wipe and sling the zip locks in and we are unpacked. Getting ready to shower, grab a zip lock with undies, head to the bathroom where there's a see-thru baggie with make-up, perfume, toiletries. When you are ready to pack for home, your zip locks are filled and you toss them into the suitcase. We carry a few extras for anything like a damp swimsuit, a large one for our photos in the folder, just in case our luggage gets to sit outside in rain. Doesn't use any luggage space, keeps everything organized and safe and in case you are chosen for a luggage check at the airport, your dirty undies don't come tumbling out in front of everyone...yep, it happened to us once. I agree with the poster who said that you can throw a few of those versatile wrinkle-free dresses, use a versatile color (hey, who doesn't own at least 3 pairs of khaki shorts?), and t-shirts and a sandal that can be used every night in the MDR. Pack light and have a wonderul time...and remember that anything you forget can be replaced. With 2 people in a cabin, you don't really need all the little items that might be more useful if you are putting 4 people in an inside cabin for 7 days. There's plenty of storage space, especially if you pack light. We only carry 2 swimsuits. One to wear, one drying.

I disagree with a previous poster, but I often find the ship cold at night, and always pack a wrap or shawl or pashmina to wear - but I am cold-blooded!

My packign tip involves ziplocks too. I pack each individual outfit in ziplocs. For example, in one bag, I would have shorts, top, undies, jewellery etc. Roll the outfit in the zippie, take out all air and seal. You can then go one step further and label all bags for the the contents or the day it is to be worn. I started just doing this for my kids, but now the whole family gets packed this way. Stuff does get quite wrinkled but a portable travel steamer does a quick and fine job (it took about 30 minutes to steam all the clothes for both DH and myself)

One of the things I packed this trip (which came in handy) were two re-usable shoppign bags - we used these for going into port and bringing souvenirs home.

Another thing i found quite useful was bringing a re-usable coffee thermos. I would often go to the windjammer and fill with either coffee or an iced tea/lemonade combo and I had a portable drink to take to the pool, ports etc.

Court1683 congrats on your upcoming wedding and cruise. As a first time cruiser 3 weeks ago I was so over prepared. I had it all, power strips, extensions cord, hamper, hanging shoe bag, bungie cords, too too many clothes outfits, and so much more.

Lesson learned, take 3 light weight dresses, 4 mix and match bathing suits, several suit coverups, flip flops and that is it. All those capri's, slacks, tops and shorts will never come off the hangers. I did not even need a light sweater in the evening. The ship is so nice you will not need anything else, really.

My next cruise I know I will be able to pack all in a single small suit case and bathroom things in a small back pack. Good luck with packing, go light you will have no regrets.

Thanks for your packing light tip. I do (with no disrespect intended) have a few questions. I am wondering about other footwear such as a walking pair of shoes and shoes for the formal nights. I am also wondering which ship you went on that was not overly chilly. I did not use my wrap on the SOS but all other ships I was so glad I had it with me just in case. And finally am I to assume that you wore one of the dresses for shore visits.

I am really trying to pare down also. I will not bring 7 complete daytime outfits because as you stated some of them were not even worn. My evening attire will also be of the mix and match variety in the basic same color scheme. The shoes I am limiting to one dressy shoe for both formal nights, one pair of comfortable walking shoes, sneakers and flip flops. (Yes, this is an improvement over once bringing a separate suitcase (small of course) just for my shoes!) Now all the other paraphernalia is ANOTHER story--pray for me. I can't let it go yet. LOL

My wife always finds it to be cold at night, light sweaters and so forth are great. If you like to look off the ship, bino's are great for that, I never forget mine, camera ofcourse, formal wear if you plan on eating in a specialty restaurant or the MDR on formal nights, and then whatever else you see fit.

Congrats on your wedding!! I learned after my first cruise, that I took too many things, that I didnt wear. On my second cruise, I pared it down a bit, but could not get rid of the "what if I need this", "what if I need that"... This cruise... I am only taking a carry on and a large purse. Now I am not a small woman, so my listing below is for clothing items that are in the plus size range. Here is what I am packing in my carryon:

-5 dresses: 3 are maxi, 1 formal, 1 casual (mostly for dinners)

-1 jumpsuit: formal wear, and also for the 70's night :)

-4 pairs of shorts (daytime/excursions)

-6 tops: varies on tees, tanks, etc (daytime/excursions)

-2 shrugs: for the formal nights, and maxi

-Swimwear: I mix and match pieces, 2 tops, shorts, skort, cover up etc (still deciding on a towel, I did bring my own last year, didnt like the possible fee from RC if not returned or lost)

-Shoes: 1 pair of heels, 1 pair of casual sandals, 1 pair flip flops, and 1 pair athletic shoes (to wear on the flights there and back... btw I took 7 pair on my first cruise!)

-Of course underwear, pj's, socks...

For my large purse:

-smaller containers of essentials (I am arriving the day before the cruise and plan on stopping at a Walgreens/CVS/etc in Ft. Lauderdale to pick up larger items to last the week, no checked bag fees for me!)

-Other misc items for the flight

-Power strip, night light, over the door shoe rack (for the bathroom)

THATS IT!!! Believe me, all you will want to do is enjoy your cruise and not sit there thinking... WHY DID I BRING ALL OF THIS?????, and spend you last night packing up all that crap...LOL

ENJOY!!

Leaving in 2 weeks on our honeymoon aboard the LOS. This is our first cruise so we were looking for a few packing tips. Things not to forget or to leave at home. I know in the past I have seen an "ultimate packing list" on one of the message boards, but I cannot seem to find it today. We look forward to your response.

Court1683,

Congrats on your wedding and honeymoon the LOS is a great ship! we are going on our 6th cruise and I still pack about as much as I did the 1st cruise...so I am no help there.:eek:

My suggestion is a backpack- LLbean has them that zip up into themselves.. so they fit into the suitcases well- AND they hold up to 15 lbs - so on your trip back you will have room for all the goodies you bought on your honeymoon:D

enjoy your cruise

Kathy

Asprin, antacide, nail clippers, tweezers and any other personal hygn products. Tooth picks. dental floss. And anything you think you may need. It is a horror when it is 9pm and you discover a hangnail or need tweezers for something and have no supplies.

Also pack a large light weight laundry bag to keep in the closet. A Nylon bag will cost about $4 and will be a God send in keeping your dirty clothes organized from your clean clothes. Plus its easy to pack (and unpack at home) in the end just put the bag in your suit case. Of course a large plastic garbage bag will work too.

Archived