Security?

blkbetty

Most of the staff we speak to are happy and proud to work on the ship. One bartender told us he used to work for a first class hotel in the Phillipines which was devastated by an earthquake in the early 1990's. RCL came and offered many of them jobs on the cruise line. He was proud to tell us that the money he earned on the ship allowed him to put his 3 daughters through university. No one is forced to do these jobs. It's not all the doom and gloom the OP seems to believe.

As for the camera, I have often left it out and never had a problem. I think someone on this thread mentioned the possibility that the OP's cabin door might have been left open when they went to the show. In fact, we did notice this on our cruise last week on the Serenade. Where I expected the door to shut completely by itself, we noticed that it really had to be pushed/pulled tightly shut. I don't know if it was just our cabin, but DH and I had to always check that it closed. This wasn't the case on other ships that I can remember.

Suzanne

Is it possible when you left your room the door did not slam shut. I have noticed walking down halls that once in a while a door is slightly ajar. Unfortunately not everyone on vacation are honest law abiding citizens. It is possible someone saw a door slightly open and helped themselves.

That book is probably written about the entertainers and not the wait staff or the room attendments. They are not paid anything compaired to them. And it comes down to having a heart about others. Some will see it, others won't. When my husband went to work to tell others the bad conditions, the cruisers had a lost look on their face. They could careless, by gosh they love cruising. Great. Go. Have fun. But I do not find that fun. Im done with CC. Like I said before, not all, but alot of people on this site are just plain rude. Its to bad. Because sometimes its nice writing about thoughts or ideas, but here, the rude people ruin it for everybody else. Bye.

I worked onboard and I wasn't an entertainer or staff - I was crew (the low man on the totem pole). It is hard, grueling work for mediocre (at best) pay. But you know what? No one forces you to stay. No one forces you to join. And no you do not have to pay your own airfare.

I worked onboard and I wasn't an entertainer or staff - I was crew (the low man on the totem pole). It is hard, grueling work for mediocre (at best) pay. But you know what? No one forces you to stay. No one forces you to join. And no you do not have to pay your own airfare.

I have many friends who work for the cruise line and according to them the cruise line does not pay for their airfare. They pay it from their own pockets.

There are two separate issues here.

1. The camera being stolen.

2. The condition of life and work on board for some crew members.

While on board the Oasis of the Seas I held a certain expectation that my camera was safe inside a locked room. I had never been on a cruise ship before and didn’t realize that Royal Caribbean hired criminals…. Otherwise I would have brought my Ballistics Vest, Service Weapon, Taser and OC spray to ensure my safety while asleep in the same locked room.

First issue: On Thursday September 16, 2010 my wife and I returned to our room to change out of our formal clothes as we were going to see the play “Come Fly with Me.” My wife snapped a picture of the monkey that our stateroom attendant had made then put the camera in its case and sat it on the desk. We departed the room around 7:45 pm. At about 10:15 pm we returned to the room and ordered room services. The next morning as I was gathering the dishes and tray from the previous night’s room service I noticed that the camera was missing. Guest service was notified and a preliminary form was filled out. I was told to return to my room that security would meet me there along with housekeeping. Security showed up and searched the room. They told me “yes the camera is missing”. Security had a device that could read all the times that our door had been accessed. Security told me to stay in my room while they went outside to attach the device. There was also a security camera outside our door. Security did not share any information with us. They said “come down in an hour and you will get a copy of the report.” I returned to guest services and was given a copy of the preliminary form with a number to risk management. Security had an entire day to determine who entered our room. Any crew member that wanted to know our itinerary only needed to turn the T.V. on. A code should have been required to access our itinerary. This is a flagrant security issue. This Saturday will make a week since our camera with pictures vanished. The purpose of me writing this is I want my camera with pictures returned.

The camera was bought on September 2, 2010 specifically for this vacation. If pictures of one’s trip are to be considered insignificant then why were there photographers all over the ship?

Second issue read: http://waronwant.co.uk/attachments/Sweatships.pdf

While on board the Oasis of the Seas I held a certain expectation that my camera was safe inside a locked room. I had never been on a cruise ship before and didn’t realize that Royal Caribbean hired criminals…. Otherwise I would have brought my Ballistics Vest, Service Weapon, Taser and OC spray to ensure my safety while asleep in the same locked room.

First issue: On Thursday September 16, 2010 my wife and I returned to our room to change out of our formal clothes as we were going to see the play “Come Fly with Me.” My wife snapped a picture of the monkey that our stateroom attendant had made then put the camera in its case and sat it on the desk. We departed the room around 7:45 pm. At about 10:15 pm we returned to the room and ordered room services. The next morning as I was gathering the dishes and tray from the previous night’s room service I noticed that the camera was missing. Guest service was notified and a preliminary form was filled out. I was told to return to my room that security would meet me there along with housekeeping. Security showed up and searched the room. They told me “yes the camera is missing”. Security had a device that could read all the times that our door had been accessed. Security told me to stay in my room while they went outside to attach the device. There was also a security camera outside our door. Security did not share any information with us. They said “come down in an hour and you will get a copy of the report.” I returned to guest services and was given a copy of the preliminary form with a number to risk management. Security had an entire day to determine who entered our room. Any crew member that wanted to know our itinerary only needed to turn the T.V. on. A code should have been required to access our itinerary. This is a flagrant security issue. This Saturday will make a week since our camera with pictures vanished. The purpose of me writing this is I want my camera with pictures returned.

The camera was bought on September 2, 2010 specifically for this vacation. If pictures of one’s trip are to be considered insignificant then why were there photographers all over the ship?

Why do you have a Ballistics Vest, Service Weapon, Taser and OC spray?

It was out because I was charging the battery! The room attendent was done with my room. Why should I not assume that my room won't be broken into by the staff? I was gone maybe 2 hours. All they had to do is check my schedule on the tv to see what time id be gone! How safe is that?

Neither you in your initial post nor your husband in his only post mention that the camera was out being charged.

As a matter of fact, your husband says that the camera was put away in its case.

You two better get your stories straight.

Be carefull! I was on the oasis 9/11/10. On Thursday night after dinner we came back to our room, changed our clothes and went to see Come fly with me. Came back after show and ordered room service at 10 pm. Friday noticed camera was gone. Called security. They searched our room, took a few notes and left. I just want to point out a few detail. One; a camera is outside our door. Two; they checked the black key box. Three; they have face recognition aboard the ship. Four; they could have found the camera in about 2 minutes if they even looked. I told them it had every picture of your trip on that camera! That I bought this camera 3 days before the trip. Their answer is they will send me a piece of paper to submit to my home owners insurance company. This is not the only reason I will never cruise again. No point in discussing the true reason. I was shocked to learn what I did on board. This was our first cruise. Our last cruise. Lets see if cruisecritic prints my on board experence. RC has threatened CC about posting negative reports, and CC was a good little boy and followed orders and removed the comments. Don't beleive? Just do a little research.

Sorry your camera is missing. I will say that I have moved something or taken something and forgotten where I put it.

I'm curious as to why your itinerary was on the TV. I'm curious about the system and what exactly it does, I know it shows the status of your onboard acct and such but I'm guessing it also does reservations and etc?

daze

Sorry your camera is missing. I will say that I have moved something or taken something and forgotten where I put it.

I'm curious as to why your itinerary was on the TV. I'm curious about the system and what exactly it does, I know it shows the status of your onboard acct and such but I'm guessing it also does reservations and etc?

daze

The only thing someone could find on the tv is about someone's excursions or other reservations not much info when at sea. It just shows that you've paid for them, not when they are or where they are at any one time. Who would take the time to turn on the tv and check what someone had paid for? It certainly doesn't say WHEN. You can review your account to see what you've charged to your account, but that's about it.

This is getting really more and more unbelievable and strange.

On our second cruise, we had an aunt who couldn't find a ring of hers. She swore that it had been stolen. Before calling security, we asked if we could help her go through her belongings. We found the ring. I'm assuming she is accusing one of these hard working, repressed workers of theft. I think the staff are underpaid for the hours and the work, so I'm generous with tips. At the same time, I also understand that there are very few jobs they could have that would give this much money for their family or they wouldn't (of their own free will) be signing up for additional contracts with the same cruiseline. I know it must be hard for them to be away from their families for long periods of time. There are, however, many jobs that require long periods of time away from one's family. Even if this was an expensive camera (which the OP says it was not), I don't think you will find crew members risking their job for a camera with your pictures. I'm not particularly inclined to buy products from some countries because of the 5-year old child who is doing the work. Sri Lanka comes to mind as one of those places with no protection for children. That being said, I've seen sweatshops being investigated or closed making clothing for companies I've supported by buying their goods for years unaware. We all have our own special sensitivities. I'm extremely confused and I'll admit curious as to the "I can't believe the things I did" remark. I just find the information given is weird and I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what we are being warned about. I enjoy getting to know our wait staff but I never ask for personal information, just as I don't ask at a restaurant at a resort. I appreciate the service from the room steward, however, I don't ask questions about his living conditions. There have been pictures of the staff's cabins and they are very cramped. There have also been pictures of the newer ships and the crew's common area and they are very nice. I suspect the crew spends little time in their cabins because of the work hours and the cramped quarters. I also think they are for the vast majority, very honest. While it's unfortunate that a camera is stolen or lost on a cruise, and it may sound cheesy, it's the memories that no one can take from a cruise with your family. My family took a cruise to Hawaii before my Dad passed away. We are grateful to have the photos, but mostly, we are grateful for all the memories of my Dad and the wonderful time together we had on the cruise. Obviously cruising is not for everyone. I suspect this person's attitude and accusations may have something to do with the response from RCI. All of us have openly complained on this forum about things we don't like with the various cruise lines without our post being edited or removed. This is just weird. I think I need a drink.

Archived