Cozumel excrusion to Tulum

EGG

Sorry for posting this here, but I did not get a response on the Cozumel board and our cruise on the Solstice is next month.

I would rather not do the Tulum day on my own, but from a few descriptions on the Cozumel boards, we will have limited time at the ruins between bathroom breaks and sales pitches.

If you've done this on the Solstice which is scheduled to arrive at 9 a.m., please tell me how long you actually have to explore the ruins. If you have time, a detailed schedule would be appreciated.

Also, do you think an 80 year old can handle this?

Thanks

We will be on the Eclipse in December - with the same intinerary you'll have on the Solstice.

For Mayan ruins, we have chosen the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Tour through the Native Choice in Costa Maya. It is a 50 min drive and the area around the ruins are supposed to be very navigable. I believe that Tulum has pretty uneven walking surfaces and that the ferry boat ride can be rough.

Also, check your Roll Call. We are getting a group rate as there are a number of us going together.

Let us know what you decide!

Sara

Sorry for posting this here, but I did not get a response on the Cozumel board and our cruise on the Solstice is next month.

I would rather not do the Tulum day on my own, but from a few descriptions on the Cozumel boards, we will have limited time at the ruins between bathroom breaks and sales pitches.

If you've done this on the Solstice which is scheduled to arrive at 9 a.m., please tell me how long you actually have to explore the ruins. If you have time, a detailed schedule would be appreciated.

Also, do you think an 80 year old can handle this?

Thanks

I may have already answered on the other board but we did this on Century. We had about 1.5 hours at the ruins. The only Sales pitch was on the bus. There is a lot of travel time, ferry, walk to bus, bus to ruins. You could spend your time at the ruins or leave earlier and go to the shops prior to meeting the bus. We did Tulum with beach break.

I may have already answered on the other board but we did this on Century. We had about 1.5 hours at the ruins. The only Sales pitch was on the bus. There is a lot of travel time, ferry, walk to bus, bus to ruins. You could spend your time at the ruins or leave earlier and go to the shops prior to meeting the bus. We did Tulum with beach break.

Hi Jade,

We're scheduled to do this for our Solstice sailing in 2 weeks. Did you think it was worth it for the time you had at Tulum? Are there some other Cozumel excursions you'd recommend? I did diving on my July cruise to Cozumel but we were thinking we might try something different. Just looking to get a gauge on how worthwhile the Tulum trip is considering all the travel time. SOunds like it's at least 4 hours of travel time including ferry & bus, is that about right?

For Mayan ruins, we have chosen the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Tour through the Native Choice in Costa Maya. It is a 50 min drive and the area around the ruins are supposed to be very navigable. I believe that Tulum has pretty uneven walking surfaces and that the ferry boat ride can be rough.

I second this if you have a choice. I have done both the Tulum (cruise tour) and Chacchoben (through Native Choice) ruins. The Chacchoben ruins wins hands down - especially if you do this through Ivan of Native Choice. Ivan grow up literally on the ruins property before the government took it over to reclaim the ruins. He knows his history and the culture of the Mayan people. You will see ruins in all states - natural (a big hill of what looks like dirt), as well as excavated. He might even show you his boyhood home, which is over a hill a stone's throw away from one of the reclaimed ruins. Amazing!

We did Tulum over 20 years ago - nice, . . . but once we went with Ivan, we really understood the Mayan people, culture, and the site far better than the large group tour to Tulum.

As for what to do in Cozumel if you choose to do the ruins in Costa Maya, . . . we enjoyed the swim with the dolphins a lot, and it is located at a beach so there is something for everyone.

Enjoy

Tulum ~ while I have no experience with Celebrity, we did go to Cozumel on RCCL Voyager of the Seas last February and took the ship's Tulum excursion. We usually enjoy going on our own but took the ship's because of the time crunch! It was our first trip there. We took just the Tulum trip not the one with the Beach Break.

If I remember correctly we docked in Cozumel at 7am and our excursion left at 7:15am. We left the ship and walked along the dock a short way to the ferry that took us right to Costa Maya - it was a very rough 45 minute ride - all the warnings I had read were true to their word!! (It was during the winter! - summer waters might be smoother!) It was sort of a private pick-up for those from the ship who were going to the ruins.

After the ferry docked we walked about 4/5 blocks to the a parking lot to get the bus - I think there were 2/3 bus loads in all from our ship. It took about 45/55 minutes to drive to the ruins - we didn't stop along the way. When we got there we went right into a silver store to use the rest rooms - they weren't very clean! As people came back into the store there were plenty of sales people around but I didn't think they were pushy unless you made the first move - anyone who started looking intot he showcases had a sales person immediately by their side!

Right after the last person finished in the RR we all started walking towards the ruins. We had missed the tram and our guide suggested it wasn't far so lets all walk together. It was about 1/4 mile and HOT even in February! But it was easy walking along the paved road or sidwalk. As we got into the ruins we began walking on grass growing more on a mix of sand and dirt - it wasn't even at all! Inside the wall we again walked on grass for awhile and then on paved road. There are large sections of the ruins roped off so no one can climb on them or walk through them. Our guide said they were being mistreaded by tourists who often painted on them. He stayed with us for about an hour (from the ruins' entrance) and then let us go on our own. There were steps up to the ocean overlook but I don't remember any railing. We spent about 1/2 hour + walking around and then took the tram back to the main entrance. We walked a little around the shops and then went to the bus. I'd say we had about 2-2 1/2 hours actually at the ruins. At the bus they gave us a box lunch - but all I could think of was the ferry ride back! Lunch consisted of a fruit cocktail container, bottle of water, tuna fish packed (that alone turned me off and I love real tuna!!), some crackers - think that was it! I just ate crackers and drank the water.

We drove back to the Costa Maya and the bus let us off about 5/6 bloks from the ferry. This time our guide gave us tickets for the ferry and told us when the next one was leaving. We took the ferry (another rough ride!) back tot he ferry dock - about a mile from where our ship docked. We walked around town about 1/2hour then took a taxi back to the ship. The area around the ship was filled with new stores and a calypso-type bar where we ate lunch.

If you take a private tour try and find out where they will meet you. If its in Costa Maya ask about getting to/from the ferry and a schedule. Also try and find out just where your ship will dock - ours was at least a mile from the ferry terminal - I would think they'd have taxis around when the ship docks but we didn't need them going to the ferry since it picked us up at the ship.

As far as an 80 year-old - its so hard to say! My DH was 70 and he made it OK, althought we probably would have walked more at the ruins 10 years ago! And for February it was HOT! and not much shade in the ruins - walking there, there were many trees and waiting for the tram it was also shady - but the main part of the ruins was wide open!

I thought Tulum was well worth the adventure but only once! Hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Hi Jade,

We're scheduled to do this for our Solstice sailing in 2 weeks. Did you think it was worth it for the time you had at Tulum? Are there some other Cozumel excursions you'd recommend? I did diving on my July cruise to Cozumel but we were thinking we might try something different. Just looking to get a gauge on how worthwhile the Tulum trip is considering all the travel time. SOunds like it's at least 4 hours of travel time including ferry & bus, is that about right?

We liked it because of all of the Rock Iguanas on the property. I like ruins but note we were just in Angkor in February. I have worked on an archeological expedition before but its not for everyone (My DH just felt it another pile of "rocks"). The teenagers(stepdaughter and her friend) liked the beach break part much better. Would I recommend it. Yes. They are World famous ruins. Just note we never did see Cozumel and it was dark when we got back. It was a very hot day and you are correct about the travel time.

The only other excursion that sounded interesting to me was the one to the caves, but you also need to cross by ferry. The big decision is if you wish to miss Cozumel. I just re-read and you have been there.

If I remember correctly we docked in Cozumel at 7am and our excursion left at 7:15am. We left the ship and walked along the dock a short way to the ferry that took us right to Costa Maya (see note below)- it was a very rough 45 minute ride - all the warnings I had read were true to their word!! (It was during the winter! - summer waters might be smoother!) It was sort of a private pick-up for those from the ship who were going to the ruins.

Just a minor note on this post to avoid confusion - if you take the Tulum tour stopped in Cozumel, you will either be tendered off (as we were 20 years ago), or have to take a ferry to Play del Carmen and not Costa Maya. Costa Maya is a lot further south than the Tulum ruins and would take a significant amount of time.

Just a note...I live in Playa del Carmen part of the year and am on this board because I also enjoy sailing on Solstice.. Anyway, there are two ways to get to Playa from Cozumel. Most of the cruise ships are arranging for their own tenders to travel to Playa and they dock at a different dock than the ferry dock. This dock is at the north end of town. The ferry dock is at the south end of town. Either will get you to the town itself. I travel to Tulum frequently as the beaches there are beautiful. There are several ways to get there but, once there, you can hire your own guide and take your time. Here are a few ways to get to Tulum and they vary in price:

1. book the trip through the cruise line

2. take the ADO bus at the bus terminal. The bus terminal is on 5th avenue. If you take the ferry over you will walk up the hill after disembarking and turn right on 5th avenue. The bus terrminal will be right there on your left. It is on the corner of Juarez ave and 5th ave. The bus leaves frequently, is air conditioned and quite comfortable. You can buy tickets at the bus terminal for the round trip excursion. It will leave you off at the highway and then you will walk in to the ruins. There is a tram that will take you all the way in but you will need to walk from where the bus leaves you off to the tram station by the stores which is about a 3-4 min walk.

3. colectivo - the colectivo system is used by locals and visitors alike from Cancun to Tulum. It is an expensive way to travel. There are continuous vans up and down the highway. The cost to Tulum is either 30 or 35 pesos or less than $3 US. To find the colectivo you will walk up the hill from the ferry pier and turn right on 5th avenue. Walk to Calle 2 (street 2 or 2nd street) and turn left. Walk up the street to the colectivo stand which is between avenue 15 and avenue 20. The colectivo drivers will ask you where you want to go and you just tell them Tulum ruins. They will guide you to the appropriate van. There are many vans you will not have to wait long. The vans leave you across the highway from the ruins and you will need to walk over just like the bus. On the return trip you stand out by the highway and the colectivo will stop for you. They will flash their lights if they have room. Just wave and they will stop. Same price on the way back. They will drop you off at either the corner of Juarez and 20th or the same colectivo stand. Walk to the right on Juarez to reach the ferry pier.

4. Taxi - the most expensive way to travel around. I do not know the prices for taxi's to Tulum but you can either flag them down on the road or you can go to the taxi stand on the corner of Juarez and 5th ave next to the bus station.

The tender ferry is on Constituyentes and is about 9 blocks north of the ferry station. You can either walk down if you want the options above or take a taxi. Tell the taxi driver that you want either the bus station on Juarez or the colectivo stand on avenue 20.

FYI there is an excellent local restaurant opposite the colectivo stand on avenue 20 that serves only chicken.

Or you can opt for the tour from the ship. As for the ruins itself. It is a smaller site, very well tended and the pathways are fairly easy to navigate. The question about the 80 year old is difficult to answer. My mom is 80 and would have no problems there but if you have mobility issues it may be difficult.

Have fun.

PLEASE consider doing a ruins tour from Costa Maya! We did the Native Choice tour with Ivan last week and it was VERY good. The drive to the ruins was on a comfortable bus, and was well narrated with Mayan history by Ivan. The ruin tour was fascinating, and required several hours of walking and standing, but was not overtly difficult.

The port area in Costa Maya was great, with lots to see & do. Very nice day! :)

They are not docking in Costa Maya. They are in Cozumel. Two very different places. One is on an island and one is on the mainland.

Yes... well aware of the fact that the OP was asking about Cozumel. However, the Solstice itinerary goes to BOTH Cozumel and Costa Maya, and, if given an opportunity, I was suggesting perhaps they consider visiting ruins in Costa Maya. :)

PLEASE consider doing a ruins tour from Costa Maya! We did the Native Choice tour with Ivan last week and it was VERY good. The drive to the ruins was on a comfortable bus, and was well narrated with Mayan history by Ivan. The ruin tour was fascinating, and required several hours of walking and standing, but was not overtly difficult.

The port area in Costa Maya was great, with lots to see & do. Very nice day! :)

Hi Julia, welcome back:) hope you had a good cruise! I thought about

you and hopefully our paths will cross on the high seas one day:D

Thank you all for your responses. We are planning to go to the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya. Now we are trying to weigh whether it is worth it to go through the ferry/bus ride for the short time we will have in Tulum. DH has no patience for half hour bathroom breaks and shopping breaks on a tour with a tight schedule. Since the Solstice does not dock until 9:00 and we will get a 10:00 ferry to Tulum. It would be so much more convenient if there was a ferry at 3:00 back to Cozamel which would make the independent tour much more viable. Then, if we missed the ferry at 2:00 we would not have to wait until 4:00.

We are sailing in January on Century - do you know which port we will be arriving?

I am a bit confused with the different threads as to where & how we will get to Cozumel.

We thought to do Tulum and then decided against because of the Ferry ride.

If we use Ivan of Nature choice will we still have to get the ferry ?

Thank you all for your responses. We are planning to go to the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya. Now we are trying to weigh whether it is worth it to go through the ferry/bus ride for the short time we will have in Tulum. DH has no patience for half hour bathroom breaks and shopping breaks on a tour with a tight schedule. Since the Solstice does not dock until 9:00 and we will get a 10:00 ferry to Tulum. It would be so much more convenient if there was a ferry at 3:00 back to Cozamel which would make the independent tour much more viable. Then, if we missed the ferry at 2:00 we would not have to wait until 4:00.

We've done both and Tulum was our favorite, just spectacular. The bathroom break isn't that awful and the area the ruins are in isn't that large so there is time to take them in.

We are sailing in January on Century - do you know which port we will be arriving?

I am a bit confused with the different threads as to where & how we will get to Cozumel.

We thought to do Tulum and then decided against because of the Ferry ride.

If we use Ivan of Nature choice will we still have to get the ferry ?

I quick checked and Celebrity Century is only stopping at Cozumel in January. Throughout this Summer and Fall, Celebrity Solstice cruises are stopping at 2 Mexican ports, Cozumel and Costa Maya.

Tulum is an excursion only applicable to Cozumel. To get there, you first take a 45-minute ferry from the island of Cozumel to the town of Playa de Carmen on the mainland. Then you board a bus to Tulum.

Ivan's company, Native Choice, runs Mayan Ruins tours (none of them to Tulum) from the port of Costa Maya which is located on the Mexican mainland south of Cozumel.

EGG

If it were me, . . . and this is my opinion, . . .

If you are doing the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya - I would skip the Tulum ruins altogether and enjoy some other activity on Cozumel directly. I just don't think you would add much if anything by going to the second set of ruins at Tulum. This is especially true if you are doing the Chacchoben tour with Ivan's company)

Why? A few quick reasons, . . .

Costa Maya is a cruise created port. Beyond cruise excursions, there isn't much else to do there except shop, beach, etc. Cozumel, on the other hands, has lots of options.

No ferry - which can be hot, bumpy, and long. I had forgotten that we had to take the ferry one way on our return, . . . it was not too fun. :(

A tour with Ivan's company will be far more informative (history & culture) than what you will get with a cruise tour. You can only get this experience in Costa Maya. Frankly, Ivan's tour was one of the most memorable tours we have ever taken in the Caribbean while cruising - it was that good. Even if you take a cruise sponsored tour of the Chacchoben ruins, . . . I would still skip Tulum due to the travel involved.

The only thing that Tulum has that Chacchoben doesn't, the Tulum site is on the coast overlooking the ocean - which is a cool site. That said, I think the Chacchoben ruins are superior to the Tulum ruins overall (at least when we visited - Tulum, 1986, Chacchoben, 2005).

Archived