Help me avoid formal nights, please

Merig75484

I'm in the "I refuse to wear a tux or suit or tie, ever" camp. I'm on the Eclipse, leaving Miami on December 18, for an 8 night cruise. I'd like to book a specialty restaurant for each of the 2 formal nights. Please could you let me know which nights I should expect to be formal so that I can plan accordingly.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Note: please don't turn this into a thread on the propriety of what to wear on formal night since all I'm interested in is finding out when the formal nights happen. Thanks!

you may be out of luck there. I beleive the dress code is the SAME for the specialty restaurants on Formal nights as the MDR. and in some cases they adhere to the tie at minimum dress code on non formal nights.

your only options are most likely room service and buffet on Formal nights.

I'm in the "I refuse to wear a tux or suit or tie, ever" camp. I'm on the Eclipse, leaving Miami on December 18, for an 8 night cruise. I'd like to book a specialty restaurant for each of the 2 formal nights. Please could you let me know which nights I should expect to be formal so that I can plan accordingly.

Note: please don't turn this into a thread on the propriety of what to wear on formal night since all I'm interested in is finding out when the formal nights happen. Thanks!

We are also skipping formal nights for our upcoming cruise.

Since dress code in the specialty restaurants is recommended as formal on formal nights, our options are:

- eating in our cabin

- eating in the buffet

- eating at Bistro on 5

- eating too much during the day that we're too full for supper ;)

Formal nights in the specialties will be the busiest nights so we are going off formal night.

Hope this helps.

Judy

I'm in the "I refuse to wear a tux or suit or tie, ever" camp.

Hello, "Merring."

The word, "tie," is mentioned neither in the issues of "Celebrity Today" [CT] nor at the "X" Internet site, when garb for formal nights is described.

Here's what both the "CT" and the "X" site say:

"Formal: Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks."

But I see that you still have one stumbling block on your list (a suit).

Formal nights on Solstice Class in the specialty restaurants are now smart casual although most people still dress up.

Hello, "Ma Bell."

I had heard the opposite (of what you stated) SO MANY times that I at first assumed that you were mistaken. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, however, I went to the "X" site and found the following there (at http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000XvVP4BSRQCqvrz0EpYJzEcI:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&pagename=faq_answers):

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

So, I thank you for setting me straight!

Here is how "Smart Casual" is defined (for anyone who is wondering) ...

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Enjoy yourself, "Merring"! :)

Hello, "Merring."

The word, "tie," is mentioned neither in the issues of "Celebrity Today" [CT] nor at the "X" Internet site, when garb for formal nights is described.

Here's what both the "CT" and the "X" site say:

"Formal: Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks."

But I see that you still have one stumbling block on your list (a suit).

Hello, "Ma Bell."

I had heard the opposite (of what you stated) SO MANY times that I at first assumed that you were mistaken. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, however, I went to the "X" site and found the following there (at http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000XvVP4BSRQCqvrz0EpYJzEcI:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&pagename=faq_answers):

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

So, I thank you for setting me straight!

Here is how "Smart Casual" is defined (for anyone who is wondering) ...

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Enjoy yourself, "Merring"! :)

Looks like you're good to go, Merring! NO suit/tie/jacket required for specialty restaurants!

No problem. Ties and tuxes are not needed on formal nights. Just wear a sportjacket with and open shirt. No problem at all.

you may be out of luck there. I beleive the dress code is the SAME for the specialty restaurants on Formal nights as the MDR. and in some cases they adhere to the tie at minimum dress code on non formal nights.

your only options are most likely room service and buffet on Formal nights.

this is incorrect.

We are also skipping formal nights for our upcoming cruise.

Since dress code in the specialty restaurants is recommended as formal on formal nights, our options are:

- eating in our cabin

- eating in the buffet

- eating at Bistro on 5

- eating too much during the day that we're too full for supper ;)

Formal nights in the specialties will be the busiest nights so we are going off formal night.

Hope this helps.

Judy

This is incorrect. specialty restaurants are never formal. not even on "formal" nights

No problem. Ties and tuxes are not needed on formal nights. Just wear a sportjacket with and open shirt. No problem at all.

This is incorrect. You MAY be able to get away with this and then again you may not. Sport jackets are not part of Celebrity's formal wear description.

They were formal until it was changed a couple of months ago...

We did a TA on Solstice a year ago and the dress code for specialty restaurants was smart casual and above every night. Many people on these boards claimed that this was not the case, so I looked back at the dailies to be sure. Some people were dressed formally anyway.

I have a little different question. We too are looking to skip formal nights, so plan on the buffet or room service. But, I am wondering about the theater. GENERALLY, what type of show takes place on formal night? Is it a production show (singers and dancers), or would we have to miss some decent entertainment?

Ma Bell is correct and that is the usual setup for a 7 night cruise, 8 nights might be a little different so be prepared for that but they will probably be 2nd night and 2nd to the last night...

Just thought I'd mention something related, for anyone who may be wondering ...

When a Celebrity cruise is 4, 5, or 6 nights long, there is only one formal night (in MDR and Blu).

When a Celebrity cruise is 7 to 11 nights long, there are two formal nights.

When a Celebrity cruise is 12 or more nights long, there are three formal nights.

[source: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000yV7DJBqdz6qztm4-GyYt_LX:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers]

Cheers! :)

We too are looking to skip formal nights, so plan on the buffet or room service. But, I am wondering about the theater. GENERALLY, what type of show takes place on formal night? Is it a production show (singers and dancers), or would we have to miss some decent entertainment?

Don't worry, "packedandready."

You will never have to miss a show if you want to avoid formality.

Here is the pertinent part of Celebrity's dress code information:

"Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above' dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances."

[source: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000yV7DJBqdz6qztm4-GyYt_LX:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers]

Enjoy yourself! :)

This is good information that I did not know. Can you tell me if Blu falls into the specialty restaurant category or will we need to dress for formal nights there?

Thank you!

Celebrity does not consider Blu a specialty restaurant but it is smart casual every night...

I have a little different question. We too are looking to skip formal nights, so plan on the buffet or room service. But, I am wondering about the theater. GENERALLY, what type of show takes place on formal night? Is it a production show (singers and dancers), or would we have to miss some decent entertainment?

Celebrity does not have a buffet for dinner, there are choices which are different depending on class of ship but not a buffet as you would get for breakfast or lunch...

Archived