Maureen Garrigan

norm2002

I have been thinking overnight about the appropriateness of posting this but I think there are people who knew Maureen and will want to be aware.

I regret to say that Maureen passed away on Monday at the age of 51. Those of you who met her will know of her love for Cunard and, particularly, Vistafjord which was renamed Caronia a few years ago. I first met Maureen on my first cruise on Vistafjord (after sailing many years on QE2 and Sagafjord) in August 1999 in the Black Sea. We became close friends and I sailed with her again, as well as some other very good friends from Cumbria I met on the same cruise, on a number of occasions since. She was a regular in cabin 101 and even had her own name sign when she was onboard.

She loved to tell the story of how we actually met, somewhat to my embarrassment, but was always full of stories. She could be a little self-willed at times but underneath she had a very strong heart for her friends.

A year ago she cruised on QE2 and I'm glad that, even though she was already unwell, she managed to sail on Caronia during its last month in service for Cunard. Unfortunately, she had to curtail her stay on the ship due to illness and was unable to be on the whole month she had planned.

Even though we knew she was unwell, her untimely death was totally unexpected by her family and friends.

Below I set out an obituary which another mutual friend has found from the Star Ledger in New Jersey.

starledger.gif

Maureen Garrigan

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

A Mass for Miss Maureen Winifred Garrigan, 51, of Chester will be at 11:15 a.m. Friday in St. Rose of Lima Church, Short Hills, after the funeral from the Jacob A. Holle Funeral Home, 2122 Millburn Ave., Maplewood.

Miss Garrigan, who died Monday in Overlook Hospital, Summit, was the president and chief executive officer of M.B. Garrigan Company in Newark for 20 years. Previously, she worked for the Doral Country Club and the Dade Savings Bank, both in Coral Gables, Fla.

spacer.gifhttp://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.ads/www.nj.com/xml/story//o/obits/@StoryAd?x[/img]"]@StoryAd?xShe graduated from the University of Miami in 1975 with a bachelors degree in education.

Born in Montclair, she lived in Short Hills before moving to Chester 12 years ago.

Surviving are her mother, Winifred; a brother, Mathias III., and sisters, Eileen Garrigan Bender and Colleen Garrigan Lane.

Norman~~~thank you for posting of Maureen's death. I was shocked and saddened to hear of "Charlotte Vale's" passing........Oh, how she loved Cunard!

I met her on a Seabourn Crossing in March of 2003, but her heart "beat" for the QE2 and for the Caronia. She had told me of her sailing on the Caronia a few months ago and I sent flowers to her cabin......in a "Charlotte Vale" style, she had the Hotel Manager send me a thank you e-mail! Then when I boarded the Seabourn Pride in Dec., Maureen had reciprocated and sent me a bottle of fine Champagne!

She was a fine Sailor and certainly will not be forgotten!

'lest we forget, "Later doesn't come for everybody."

Martha B.

I spoke with Martha B last nite after hearing of Maureen's passing....along with the fun we had on these boards as she lived her "Miss Charlotte Vale" persona I also was fortunate to enjoy her kindness while at sea.

On my last cruise this past New Years Eve each day I was welcomed to the cabin with goodies courtesy of Miss Vale / Maureen. It was funny as each day there was champagne, caviar, chocolate covered strawberies etc. Every officer was interested in our welfare as "Miss Garrigan requested that we were well taken care of".

She was young & her reputation preceded her...for me it was on the Caronia!

It was an honor & joy to know her......I know she is in heaven drinking champagne!

So sad to hear the news of Maureen’s death.

We talked to her almost once a month ... the last time just after New Year’s.

One of the last reports we heard was from a Caronia Passenger who saw her in October and told us she was really ailing.

Marueen was a true “fighter” and cruised til the end. Many times we were together on the Vistafjord (our favorite) and many a laugh and good time was had by all .... especially our stops in Lisbon or Lisboa!!

Norm we will be in touch and of course will be seeing you next month on the Pride and will then raise a glass (or two or three ....) to Miss Vale.

Cadum

How sad !

Had been in touch with Maureen in the guises of Miss Vale and Now Voyager for a couple of years. Such a wit - it was lovely to see someone who didn't tolerate fools gladly and was prepared to say so, yet was so generous and caring. She was a one off and I'm sad that we never got to meet.

Ken

Like you Norman we first met Maureen in 1999 on the Vistafjord what a charming lady she was.She did not suffer fools lightly and if you were in her circle her generosity knew no bounds.I well remember the cocktail parties she hosted in the Tivoli Restaurant during her cruises.Tureens groaning with shrimp and the Crystal flowing.Altogether we were on Vistafjord 3 times when she was on board.Although we had not seen her for a few years we still exchanged X/Mas cards and I had no idea she was so ill.

May she rest in peace.

I was one who had the opportunity to sail with Maureen. Ironically enough, it was aboard the Seabourn Pride in March of 2003, although she was so strongly identified with Cunard and the Caronia. She was fond of pointing out that you take people as you find them, and for those of us who knew Maureen, I can think of no more fitting eulogy.

shipflo~~~Yes, Maureen was aboard the 2003 Pride Crossing. You and I must have met during the 12 days.......this March will the the 4th in a row for about 10 of us 'ole Seabourn-ites! We always have such fun and do enjoy being together. We'll miss "Miss Vale".......she was also alot of fun. About 2 months ago she called me one Sunday evening and we chatted for 2 hours.....about what???

Sailing on Cunard and Seabourn, of course!!

Happy Trails and Sails to you!

Martita B.

Maureen / Charlotte was very private....she made me promise I would not give out her name......

I think she is having a good laugh right now(along with a good champagne).

How wonderful life is when you have the opportunity to know someone such as Miss Vale!

• 2 weeks later...

I still can't belive it...how should I start? I met Maureen many years ago on her first cruise on Sebourn and we became immediate friends. It was for both of us a teary moment when we left the ship and I thought we would never hear from each other again. But I was wrong! We planned again a trip together with my parents, she and myself on the Norwegian Sky...where we had a special order of her pink stuff and plenty of additional bottles in our Suite. From that point and 100's of hours of phone calls later we became best friends. Met all over the world and for sure in New York.

I was one of the fortunate persons who got to know the real Maureen...to meet her family, see where she lives and go with her and her mom on a cruise in October 2003 on the Norwegian Dawn, where we booked the Garden Villa.

How wonderful that cruise was, but by that time Maureen was already not feeling very well.

I know all the stories each of you...LOL!!! They will always put a smile on my face how she was able to play all of you!

The real Maureen was a very down to earth person, absolutely honest and the best friend I ever had. You would not belive how many times we cryed on each others shoulders and let all our problems out and talked many nights through.

Wednesday, after Maureen passed away and I got a call from her best friend, who she worked with for over 20 years...I felt the first time in my life lost.

Loosing a friend like Maureen is the hardest thing I have ever been through.

Maureen was cremated and part of her ashes will be together with her beloved dad and the other part will be send into the wide oceans, where Maureen had the best times and felt like home.

Thank you to all Norwegian Cruise Line personell who sent theire condolences and what I can say about Cunard...now you can stop talking bad about her!

Ms. Maureen Garrigan will be always on all the ships in this world and all the oceans...there is always somebody who heard about her or even met her. Her stories touched all our hearts. She rests in peace now and will be a legend forever with some pink bubbles in her hand.

Maureen I will always love you and miss you as long as I may live. You occupied a big peace in my heart.

For friends who want to send a card to her mom or the person who she worked with the last 20 years...I have all the addresses, so send me a e-mail to munichmarcus@yahoo.com.

How sad.....I did not know Maureen, but enjoyed conversing with Charlotte Vale on these boards which will be the poorer for her passing. Her knowledge and wit sparkled, as did her love for Cunard. I know change is inevitable, and without the QM2 shortly there would be no Cunard, but I do fear the tone and ambience of this board has changed. And they are hiring younger Policemen!

I toast you Miss Vale - now you have both the Moon and the Stars!

Peter

Archived