Which life vest for 15mo old?

CCH828

She's 24lbs, so still technically in the "infant" category as vests go, I believe. But infant vests have that "collar", which looks uncomfortable. Anyone have any recommendations? Or a swim vest...but would that take away from the piece of mind because a true life jacket will keep her afloat? Am I being paranoid? :o

She hasn't worn a life vest yet, just sat inside a floaty in the pool. But since we will be on beaches and in much more crowded pools, I think we need a vest. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

There are kid's bathing suits that have flotation devices built in...they look SO much more comfortable that a true "lifevest". Remember, on most ships, a diapered person isn't allowed in the pools...there are a few exceptions on some ships, but most don't allow diapers of any sort.

As far as if the ship were to sink, they will have infant lifevests on the ship for emergencies...but you can't take them on excursions!

I have found a life jacket that is pretty comfortable, (if there is such a thing as comfortable with a wierd neck piece). My 10 month old was much happier in it than the other one we tried. It's from stearns the neck collar has a buckle on it so it adjusts. I found mine at either wal mart or target. I went to stearns website and it's called "Infant Hydroprene Watersports Life Jacket". Not sure if it will be as comfortable for a 15 month.

Oh and if you have an older child and are intrested stearns puddle jumpers are my all time favorite personal floatation device. They allow for easy movement and provided my daughter with tons of confidence in the water. Sorry to go off topic a little.

Well you won't need it for the pool on the ship because the baby won't be allowed in the pool (I looked at your history, you are doing Carnival, you won't be allowed to bring a non potty trained child into the pool)

For the beach, I used a swim suit that had an attachable life vest. As she grew, we could attach/detach the life vest.

This was actually the first year that I didn't pack that life vest with us, and my youngest just turned 6. So no, I don't think you are being over protective. ;) Of course, I never ever relied on the life vest. She was always within arms reach while at the beach.

You may want to test them out first. I bought an infant lifevest from Walmart for my son and tried it out in my mom's pool. It was horrible and flipped him face first into the water, he could have died if he were wearing it in an emergency. If you read the fine print you will see the children/infants must hold their head back in an extended position to keep themselves afloat. We tried it multiple times and it always pushed him face first into the water. I dont know any infant/toddler that can hold their head like that, developmentally they just arent strong enough. We ended up getting the swim suit with the padding in them. That worked perfectly and kept him afloat.

Thanks, all. I may look into the swimsuits with the floats built in, since they are on clearance at Walmart for $4. There is also one of those Stearns infant vests, but I am hesitant to spend the money for something just for this trip, since she will outgrow it by next summer for sure, I'd imagine. Of course, I do like the idea of popping the vest on and off as needed, versus having to remove a suit with blocky floats inside, or putting the suit with floats inside on ahead of time. Hemming, hawing...thank you! :)

I am aware of the 'no diapers in the pool' rule, also. Thank you. I meant for while we are in port.

Archived