Zuiderdam dissapointment

ethan1171

We were aboard the Oosterdam for a 12 day cruise in April of this year and then stayed aboard for the 3 day repo from San Diego to Vancouver. It was hard to define but there was a distinct difference in the 3 day portion. Hoards of new people came aboard and the demographic changed dramatically.

Maybe it was because people who were not used to cruising took the trip that was offered very cheaply and did not have time to get into the rhythm of the experience----as I said, it was hard to put a finger on it but things changed. The change was not in the attitude of the staff but in the feel from the passengers.

I'm with Kazu in that I would not consider it worth the effort to pack for and travel to a three day cruise--- even if it were to be offered for free.

I've posted a review of my recent 4-day cruise on the Amsterdam, and some of the issues we encountered, mainly service and a lack of shipboard activities. Had I never sailed HAL before, I wouldn't be running back to them either. That said, I did enjoy the cruise.

We were in Code Orange at the END of the cruise, the crew explaining that they needed to prepare a "clean" ship for the passenger embarking on the 69-day Asian cruise.

I agree that the short cruises aren't reflective of the 7 day and longer cruises. As for those of you who think a short cruise isn't worth, by far the majority of the passengers were from Washington and Oregon, more specifically the Seattle and Portland areas. Also, we spent some time in Seattle pre and post cruise, so it made for a week long vacation.

My sister owns a restaurant, and getting for a long period of time is almost impossible for her.

Roz

Thank you for the review of an imperfect cruise and thank you HAL posters for not tearing the original poster apart. On the Celebrity board it seems that every question or negative comment is torn apart by a bunch of hyenas and vultures.

I have had a few negative experiences on different cruise lines and I am currently looking for one where the topic can be discussed without the accompanying bloodshed.

I think the nature of a very short cruise with HAL is far more the problem, than any reports that passengers have not found them particularly happy experiences. I wonder if the net loss of passenger appreciation, particularly for those trying out HAL for the first time is worth the extra revenue selling these short trips. Though we had a very happy report from someone on a one night (!) cruise but I think they booked the penthouse.

We were aboard the Oosterdam for a 12 day cruise in April of this year and then stayed aboard for the 3 day repo from San Diego to Vancouver. It was hard to define but there was a distinct difference in the 3 day portion. Hoards of new people came aboard and the demographic changed dramatically.

Maybe it was because people who were not used to cruising took the trip that was offered very cheaply and did not have time to get into the rhythm of the experience----as I said, it was hard to put a finger on it but things changed. The change was not in the attitude of the staff but in the feel from the passengers.

I'm with Kazu in that I would not consider it worth the effort to pack for and travel to a three day cruise--- even if it were to be offered for free.

I think she's just sticking by me because we are from the same province (In Canada). kidding :p just had to add a little humour to the thread:p:p

Archived