Question regarding current "deals" on PG cruises

Pinkybo

Hi everyone,

I'm helping my parents plan a Tahiti centered cruise. I found the Paul Gauguin website, and see that they currently have some deals. Specifically, if we book a cruise for 2011 we can save 50% off the regular price and get free air fare from LA. This would change the price from $11795 to $5897 for the 10 night cruise I was looking at.

What I'm wondering is, is this really a limited time promotion or do they always have this "deal"? I find it hard to imagine anyone actually pays $11795 for a 10 night cruise. Even the price of $5897 is very high compared to what I recently paid for a 7 day cruise on the Norwegian Epic (we paid $1500/pp incl. air from home to Miami and tax). I realize the Paul Gauguin might have more things included than the Epic like drinks, etc.

I'd like to find out from people who've cruised this line before if $5897 is a good price for the 10 day Society Islands/Tuamotus cruise on a D class balcony. Also, if you didn't book directly through the cruise line, where did you go to?

Thanks so much!

Hi everyone,

I'd like to find out from people who've cruised this line before if $5897 is a good price for the 10 day Society Islands/Tuamotus cruise on a D class balcony. Also, if you didn't book directly through the cruise line, where did you go to?

Thanks so much!

Folks here on the PG board can definitely tell you if the price you are getting is a good price but Cruise Critic guidelines do not allow members to recommend travel agents or ask others to email them for travel agent information. If you'd like clarification on this check out the guidelines at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines

I haven't gone on PG yet. I am looking at doing the same cruise in May when DF and I get married. I have see the 50% deal with airfare for several months. Be forewarned, the airfare isn't exactly free. It is included in the fare. The price will be different if you do not select airfare. The rebate for airfare is comparable to what you might get on your own if you booked seperately. PG includes transfers and day rooms in their price. Taxi's and day rooms are not cheap in FP.

Have just done this cruise 30 days ago. The price quoted is well in the ballpark, and IMHO is a great deal on the best cruise of our life...There is no better or more economical way to do FP PERIOD. We are seasoned cruisers and travelers and we will do this cruise again and have recruited others to do so. Strongly suggest you refine this price with the assistance of a TA well versed in this line and it will become even more attractive as an option...:D

Folks here on the PG board can definitely tell you if the price you are getting is a good price but Cruise Critic guidelines do not allow members to recommend travel agents or ask others to email them for travel agent information. If you'd like clarification on this check out the guidelines at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines

Oops, sorry, I didn't realize I was breaking a rule. Everyone, please ignore my request on recommendations for "who" to book with. I'd just like to know if PG cruisers booked with the cruise line or went elsewhere and what they paid for their cruises.

I'd also like to find out if late April/early May is good weather wise for Tahiti.

THANKS!

May is a great time, April is a bit hotter and more humid. So split the difference, it's a crapshoot. On the ship it really doesn't matter much, unless it rains (which it will from time to time, but hopefully not too much.)

As for recommending travel agents, no, we are not allowed to. But, I am allowed to say that you should find one, if you can, who has intimate knowledge of this cruise line and can help you make informed choices and be your advocate.

As for the prices, if PGCruises continues in the tradition of the former ship management, Regent Seven Seas, then the two-for-one price will be pretty standard. The included air will vary however. Sounds like a pretty good price to me. And I've never found it easy to book my own air to Tahiti, so I've always had the cruiseline manage this for me.

Try to convince your parents to go a day or two in advance as well. PGcruises offer pre-cruise packages which aren't badly priced, considering the awful prices in french Polynesia.

First I must say we had a wonderful time on our 11 day Cook islands cruise Feb. 2010, though we never made to Cook islands due to cyclone. Then I must say we dealt directly with PG cruise, and they were indeed stubborn. We did not want to take their LA to Papeete flight as it would be much longer distance for us to go via LA instead of Tokyo but they said their cruise fare include the LA to Papeete "free flight". After some time, they annouced a discount for our cruise, and it was a cruise only fare. We got the discount, so they re-wrote the invoice, and put the flight cost on a separate line, and then it was possible to split the flight from the cruise. To be honest, I felt they were dishonest. But we already paid the first flight to LA so we had to live with it. Finally they sent our cruise documents to the correct city name but wrong country name, so the documents had to travel through 7 countries before reaching us, what ignorant people. So I would suggest contact a TA and not PG directly. As to price, what we paid for our B category cabin for Feb. 2010 is somewhat 28% lower than the same itinerary/cabin in Jan. 2011.

The 50% off is pretty standard for these economic times.

The "no worries" solution is to let PG do everything for you - including air and pre or post cruise; however, these all come with costs. We sailed on the PG in 2009 and again will take their 10 day cruise in 2011. We "took" their "discount" of $1,250 each for not booking air with them.

We were able to go online and get Business Class from our hometown to PPT on Air Tahiti Nui for less than PG asks for their just their upgrade to Business.

Our travel agent was able to get great deals at the Intercontinental Hotels in Tahiti and Bora Bora (including breakfast and dinner) and air on the island hops for far less than the rates charged by PG.

It's all a matter of style - are you a DIY kind of person?

I can assure you that whichever way you go your parents will have a wonderful time. We can't wait to return to the South Seas and the Paul Gauguin.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived