An answer to the question: E-cigs

2SeaWithMe

To reiterate-- Celebrity's smoking policy does not currently address e-cigs. E-cigs are not smoking. Vape away. You're welcome to do so at our table in the MDR, if you so desire.

Should Celebrity change its policy, it's most likely going to be to avoid the hassles of chasing down false reports of smokers. If black e-cigs with blue tips are not easily confused with cigarettes, this won't happen. But are there white e-cigs with red tips that can easily be confused at a distance? If I see someone three doors down or two decks below who's appears to be smoking, I'm reporting them. If I can tell it's an e-cig, more power to them. Time will tell if false reports cause Celebrity to include e-cigs in their smoking policy, but if they do, it's their call, and vapers should honor their decision.

I understand the concern over being exposed to something that has the potential to be hazardous to bystanders, and the all the research may not be in yet. I'm personally willing to take what would seem to be a slight risk if it will aid someone else to quit smoking. Nothing we do is risk-free; this seems like it would be a good cause. If the concern is being subjected to an unpleasant aroma, we need to switch the topic to objectionable colognes and perfumes. I doubt there will be anything in Celebrity's rules any time soon regarding personal scents, except possibly under the general heading of disruptive behavior. Anyone ever experience someone drenched in Patchouli oil?

I propose that, in polite company, someone should have the freedom to vape without having to ask, "Do you mind if I vape?" If someone has an objection, they should be able to raise it without fear of censure. The courteous thing to do is to refrain from doing something that makes others uncomfortable,ill at ease, or concerned for their health, but they should not be required to get prior approval of all those around them first.

After reading this thread I started looking into e-cigs. I ordered a sample one on the web, it took 3 weeks to get here from Hong Kong. It's interesting to 'smoke', or vape, one. There actually is a 'hit' when drawing on it.

I'm interested in comments about which brands people like,a s well as where they purchase them. Is it 'cool' to post that info here?

BTW - Celebrity does have a policy on them (I just read about it)...

To all the e-cig people who, to me, are educating people about an alternative in helping smokers quit, where would one go to learn more about this alternative? I have discussed this with a few friends who are very, very interested but are clueless.

Thanks for any information you can give to educate & help them

There is a lot of information on a message board much like this one. e-cigarette-forum.com

There are far worst things out there then people trying to stop smoking by using and E-Cig.

1: Rude people

2: Pushy people in line

3: People that hog pool chairs

4: People you drown in perfume

5: People that don’t move so and elderly disabled person can get by

6: People with ticket number 100 to get off the ship and not let number two by so they can get off

7: People who block the hallways even when the ask you not to.

8: People who smuggle things on board that they know is wrong

9: People who find fault with others who are not perfect themselves

10: Tattle tales

Everyone (even you) do things that are wrong or not following the RULES!

I am grateful that some people out there are still kind and care about others.

So if you are without fault then ok find fault on the poor person WHO IS TRYING TO QUIT SMOKING! Use your e-cig all you want it would not bother me!

Should Celebrity change its policy, it's most likely going to be to avoid the hassles of chasing down false reports of smokers. If black e-cigs with blue tips are not easily confused with cigarettes, this won't happen. But are there white e-cigs with red tips that can easily be confused at a distance? If I see someone three doors down or two decks below who's appears to be smoking, I'm reporting them. If I can tell it's an e-cig, more power to them. Time will tell if false reports cause Celebrity to include e-cigs in their smoking policy, but if they do, it's their call, and vapers should honor their decision.

I applaud your common sense. This will likely become less of an issue as time goes on. Most of us "vapers" use devices that are NOT likely to be confused with cigarettes as they do not look like cigarettes. The ones that do generally have shorter battery life, and most of us lose the desire to have one that looks like the "real thing" very quickly.

It has been two months for me (after almost 50 years of smoking). I'll never go back.

Archived