Considering first RC cruise - have questions

GAMOM4

We have always cruised on Carnival but this year we are considering a Royal Caribbean Cruise - especially since they have the 1/2 price deposit. I am looking to book for the first week of June for my son's senior trip. We were orignally going out of Jacksonville on the Carnival Fascination but the prices are really high and don't seem to go down. I can go out of Port Canaveral or Miami on a 4 night cruise on RC for a lot less money (not true of longer cruises though). I have a few questions - we bring our own drinks on Carnival - such as Cokes, Cranberry Juice, etc. Can you do the same on RC? Is ice cream free 24 hours a day on RC?

Is most everything the same - from the way you can sit at a table for just your family in the main dining room and having the option of anytime dining? Do you set up an account like the sign and sail card when you first get on the ship?

These are probably crazy questions but I just wanted to check and I knew the people on this board would know.

One other question - does RC have a Bon Voyage department that you can order alcohol in advance like Carnival does? I didn't find that on their website but I could have overlooked it.

Yes--everything is just about the same....the "rules" say no drinks can be brought aboard, but folks never seem to have a problem with anything except alcohol.

If you're in traditional dining, you can request a table for just your family...but you might have tablemates, and that's always fun.

Or you can do My Time Dining...if you choose that option, you will have to pay your gratuities when you book it.

Unlike Carnival, unless you do MTD, you won't automatically be charged gratuities..you have the option of paying your tips in cash at the end of the cruise, or you can have them added to your account. RCI gives you a choice in that.

Here is a link for pre-ordering wine:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000ez0qiyyddwPecyjaQ5CYvLt:12hdhu93n?catCode=WINE

Ice cream is not open 24/7 and the ship will have the posted hours by the machine. The basic hours of operation are from late morning until dinner hour. Much of everything else seems the same to me.

Can you pre-order bottles of liquor like you can on Carnival? I saw where you could order the wine.

:cool:That was the main difference in my one (and only) Carnival cruise. It was nice having option to order a couple of bottles to have in cabin. You can not bring wine on board (1 blt pp) like Carnival does either.:cool:

Archived