7 mile beach or Rum Point

djmaine

We are 4 adults and a 4 and 9 year old going. I want to do the beach but also want to see some of the island too. Is 7 mile beach really nice or will I be dissapointed not seeing Rum Point?

If we do Rum point I will do a priviate tour and maybe see a few sites then a stop at Rum point. Or, is it worth the cost and should we just go to 7 mile beach?

I thought it was well worth the cost to rent our own vehicle, visit the sites we wanted to go to and then head out to Rum Point Beach. It depends on the type of beach environment that you are looking for. I prefer a quieter, more relaxed beach and that is why I love Rum Point. The chairs are also free for use there and there are plenty to choose from.

I'm sure that no matter what you choose you will have a good time but if it were me, I would check into renting your own vehicle (maybe a mini-van for the 6 of you) and do your own thing.

We rented a jeep from cayman auto rentals and for four of us it was less than $30 each including the gas to fill it back up before taking it back, etc.

thanks for the reply, I thought of renting a van but for the short time on the island and the stress level driving on the other side of the road would not be good. I'd rather spend a the extra and have someone else drive and really enjoy my time looking around.

Whether you will enjoy Seven Mile Beach more or less than Rum Point depends on what you are looking for in a beach experience.

SMB:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free facilities are Royal Palms and Sea Grape)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Rum Point:

- smaller beach, more "secluded tropical island" in feeling

- lots of natural shade, less sun

- 45 minute drive from port area, can only be reached via excursion or rental car

- not a major tourist area; surrounded by large vacation homes

- attractions more-or-less on the way there include Pedro St. James castle, botanical gardens, blowholes, cheesy pirate caves

- single company runs the beach and provides excellent free facilities such restrooms, showers, chairs, hammocks, etc.

- only one restaurant (beach bar) and one small gift shop

- one watersports operator (Red Sail)

- easy access to okay (and slightly better than okay) snorkelling

- crowd levels vary dramatically depending on day and number of excursions present, but usually less crowded than SMB (except on weekends/holidays)

The two areas are both great, and we have a fantastic time at either spot, but they are very different... :D Pick the one that matches what you're looking for...

To me, Rum Point wins, hands down. 7 Mile isn't anything special, just a long thin stretch of sand in front of homes and restaurants. Rum Point is more like the secluded tropical cove surrounding by palm trees with great swimming and some snorkeling (where we went on 7 Mile, at Royal Palms/Reef Grill, there was NONE).

• 2 months later...
To me, Rum Point wins, hands down. 7 Mile isn't anything special, just a long thin stretch of sand in front of homes and restaurants. Rum Point is more like the secluded tropical cove surrounding by palm trees with great swimming and some snorkeling (where we went on 7 Mile, at Royal Palms/Reef Grill, there was NONE).

First off--I have to say, you have some great insight MamaParrotHead! We are thinking of going to Rum Point on our next GC stop. We are not really interested in the extra excursions though (we've been to the island several times). Did you go there on an excursion? From what I have read, it sounds like we can't take the bus there, so now we're trying to decide between a cab or rental car. Can you share your transportation experiences and knowledge? Thanks!

We are thinking of going to Rum Point on our next GC stop. We are not really interested in the extra excursions though (we've been to the island several times). Did you go there on an excursion? From what I have read, it sounds like we can't take the bus there, so now we're trying to decide between a cab or rental car.

A rental car is the only practical way to get to Rum Point if you don't want to go with an excursion.

A taxi would cost somewhere in the range of $80 US each way, for a group of 2-3 people. And, since it's 45 minutes out of town and not near any other attractions, there wouldn't be any taxis waiting for the return trip. You'd have to prearrange the return and trust that the driver showed up on time to get you back to the port in time to catch the ship... :D

• 3 weeks later...
I thought it was well worth the cost to rent our own vehicle, visit the sites we wanted to go to and then head out to Rum Point Beach. It depends on the type of beach environment that you are looking for. I prefer a quieter, more relaxed beach and that is why I love Rum Point. The chairs are also free for use there and there are plenty to choose from.

I'm sure that no matter what you choose you will have a good time but if it were me, I would check into renting your own vehicle (maybe a mini-van for the 6 of you) and do your own thing.

We rented a jeep from cayman auto rentals and for four of us it was less than $30 each including the gas to fill it back up before taking it back, etc.

Does Cayman auto rentals have an office near the port? Do you have any contact info?

Thanks! Helen

• 3 weeks later...

We rented a car last year with Avis. You go to a gift shop by the port and call them and they pick you up. Takes a little while to get shuttle, get the car and drive to Rum Point and then return car and get shuttle back to ship. Allow plenty of time. Beach was very nice (a bit crowded with a group of school children the day we went), and it was quite fun to drive around, although slightly challenging driving on opposite side and navigating the turnabouts. We love to rent a car and explore on our own in many different ports.

A rental car is the only practical way to get to Rum Point if you don't want to go with an excursion.

A taxi would cost somewhere in the range of $80 US each way, for a group of 2-3 people. And, since it's 45 minutes out of town and not near any other attractions, there wouldn't be any taxis waiting for the return trip. You'd have to prearrange the return and trust that the driver showed up on time to get you back to the port in time to catch the ship... :D

Exactly why we didn't go there.

I did Rum Point as part of a Sting Ray city excursion and it was OK.

It is a rockier beach with trees right up to the waterline.

(personaly I prefer soft, sandy beaches, with trees back from the water-like 7 Mile Beach)

To me it was too far from Georgetown, to be enjoyed via a cruise.

We only got to stay for an hour, like a few have stated before, because of the distance.

If I was staying on Grand Cayman for a week, I would gladly try it again.

But I preferred 7 mile's beautiful water and soft sand anyway and it is only 5 minutes from the tender dock.

Bill

We decided to book a private excursion with John Michael, owner of Outrage. He will pick us up at the port, take us in his 27' boat to anywhere we want. our plan is stingray island, starfish island to let the boys run and possibly rum point or another restaurant in the area for lunch. We get to plan the day, and he even has a tube to pull you on behind the boat if you are interested, and fishing poles in the boat. $400 for 4 hours - of $500 for whole day. At the end he will bring you back to the port. We booked directly though him. He was very responsive to my emails, has great reviews, and asked for on money upfront.

We are really excited and can't wait!

If you don't want to drive or take a taxi, is it ONLY available as a ship tour?

Or...are there vendors @ the port with vans trying to take several people to Rum Point for a group price?

There are lots of private excursions that will take you to Rum Point as one of the stops. However, you aren't likely to find many of them at the port for day-of bookings. Most of those drivers will be collecting people for Stingray City or Island Tours, or they will be looking to do short shuttles back and forth to the beach or nearby attractions.

Rum Point is extremely far away by Cayman standards...

Whether you will enjoy Seven Mile Beach more or less than Rum Point depends on what you are looking for in a beach experience.

SMB:

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free facilities are Royal Palms and Sea Grape)

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Rum Point:

- 45 minute drive from port area, can only be reached via excursion or rental car

- attractions more-or-less on the way there include Pedro St. James castle, botanical gardens, blowholes, cheesy pirate caves

- single company runs the beach and provides excellent free facilities such restrooms, showers, chairs, hammocks, etc.

- crowd levels vary dramatically depending on day and number of excursions present, but usually less crowded than SMB (except on weekends/holidays)

The two areas are both great, and we have a fantastic time at either spot, but they are very different... :D Pick the one that matches what you're looking for...

I really really love this post and want to do rum point, but it is far...Can you tell me if there are any Hammocks on 7MB? Water sports? What beach do you think will be the least crowded? I am going for the 1st time @ the end of March! Thank you so so much!!!!:D

I really really love this post and want to do rum point, but it is far...Can you tell me if there are any Hammocks on 7MB? Water sports? What beach do you think will be the least crowded? I am going for the 1st time @ the end of March! Thank you so so much!!!!:D

No hammocks that I saw at Royal Palms. No water sports that I noticed either (other than a snorkeling shack). Rum Point will most likely be less crowded because it takes more effort to get to it.

No hammocks on SMB, but then again, as many times as I've been to Rum Point, I've never been able to score one of the hammocks there. They always seem to be already in use by the time I arrive.

There are water sports all along SMB, the same company as the one at Rum Point in a couple of spots even.

Crowds vary. In general, yes, Rum Point is usually less crowded than SMB...unless it's a weekend, a holiday or there's a school trip or cruise ship excursion that arrives at the same time you do. I've been to Rum Point when it's like that, and I fled in terror. I've also been to SMB on a one-ship-day and it was virtually empty in spots. A lot has to do with timing.

The nice thing about SMB is that if it's crowded, just walk down the beach a bit until you find a spot without crowds and throw down a towel. Walk back when you want food/drinks/facilities. The spots with the "stuff" will be much more crowded than the spots without.

Both are great beaches in their own ways. Personally, I'd pick based on the distance and how comfortable you are with the idea of renting a car and driving on the left, and with managing your time to make it back to the ship before departure. If you don't want to deal with that, stick with SMB.

We did an excursion thru Nativeway Watersports and went snokeling and the sting ray stuff before heading to Rum Point. It was gorgeous but we were all so wiped out we didn't really enjoy it. I would love to visit just there.

We rented a jeep from Cayman auto rentals and drove to Rum Point. Got the jeep at 8:00 am took our time, got there around 9:00 am and had a great time. The jeep was apporx 115.00 us dollars including insurance.

• 4 weeks later...

SMB:

Rum Point:

Does anyone know if you have to rent the poolside cabanas @ Royal Palms, or are they first come? I know at night they have bottle service, but not seeing anything for day use??? Thanks, Shelly

Never been to 7m so can't compare, however, drove to RP last week and loved it. It was exactly the vision in my head when I think of the Caribbean. Paradise found! Just remember that you could run into traffic heading back to town so don't cut it too close.

Does anyone know if you have to rent the poolside cabanas @ Royal Palms, or are they first come? I know at night they have bottle service, but not seeing anything for day use??? Thanks, Shelly

I'm not sure...we've never bothered with the cabanas or pool, although they look nice.

I'd contact Royal Palms to ask them. Their contact info is here: http://www.reefgrill.com/first.html

Archived