Poble Espanyol-Barcelona

neil5054

There is one shop there that my wife likes (shawls...MORE shawls). Since we both love Miro, we are going to be close by anyway, so we usually stop in. Beyond that, I doubt we would bother.

I have never understood the fascination with the "Magic Fountain." Buckingham Fountain in Chicago is a better show and if you really want to see water fighting gravity, the Vegas strip is better still.

The Magic Fountain is only something to see at night. It doesn't do anything in the daytime(not even spout any water)

Poble Espanyol is a recreation of towns/villages/tourist sites throughout Spain.

Some people enjoy it. It is not on my list of interesting things to do.

The MNAC museum is right there and THAT is quite interesting even if you just look at it from the outside and then look at the view of the city from the steps in front of it.

On Montjuic nearby is also the Mies Van der Rohe(sp??) sculpture and the Miro Museum which shows his evolution from young artist to maturity.

Not sure what sights you have already seen but I will bet there are a few other things you could try !

I liked it! Found it very attractive, quiet (in the morning) and relaxing, and enjoyed all the different types of architecture. There were small craft shops, art galleries, sculpture exhibition, large "cafe" squares, and at least a mile of houses from around the country. While it's not a major attraction, it was certainly a pleasant diversion from the crowds and queuing, especially when you have been there before.

kate

I have wanted to see the Mies Pavilion for many years. I'm not a big Miro fan but the other museums near the fountain sound interesting. Although since we are coming into Barcelona and leaving port at the end of the day I want to have time to see the Maritime Museum anyway. I've read a few reviews that said that Poble Esp is not worth the trip. tx

I liked it! Found it very attractive, quiet (in the morning) and relaxing, and enjoyed all the different types of architecture. There were small craft shops, art galleries, sculpture exhibition, large "cafe" squares, and at least a mile of houses from around the country. While it's not a major attraction, it was certainly a pleasant diversion from the crowds and queuing, especially when you have been there before.

kate

I totally agree.Have been there a few times and some of the nicest things I have bought in BCN came from there from the artisan's themselves.

I was in Poble Espanyol; once some years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

While I think it is not in the MUST visit list I beleve it is worth your time, if you have it, to look at the different architectural styles and the craftsmen who perform their trades in the exhibits.

Enjoy!!!

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with most of the other posters. We have been to BCN 3 times in the past 5 years and although Poble Espanyol is not on my list of Top 5 Must-Sees, it is worth visiting if you have already visited la Sagrada Familia, walked on Las Ramblas, toured La Pedrera (Cas Mila) and Parc Guell, etc. Some of the shops in the village carry items not found in the usual souvineer shops and the crafts are quite good.

The Poble Espanol is lovely and we always enjoy going there. It's a peaceful haven in a busy city and there's some lovely places to shop and eat. Would recommend it.

I agree. It is a haven of peace in a hectic city. It is one of my favourite places in BCN. There is a good flamenco show in the Andalucian quarter in the evenings.

Archived