do you read what you post

m steve

I just read this entire thread. Kudos to FridayEyes and MamaofMimi for the wonderful poetry. I had a good laugh over both of them. Our language is very confusing. I hadn't realized how confusing until I began to study another language.

Hear, hear!

I've spent many years in educational publishing, hence the knee-jerk response to fixing typos and the like. Being dyslexic as well keeps me very, very humble. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Cheers,

Friday (who, just for the record, is a she)

I believe you got it -- at first!

My comment was intended to be very subtle and apparently it was!!!

Oh it wasn't that subtle :D....I shall take my extra apostrophes and post no more.:o.

Sorry.

I was just relishing a little irony.

Please post away, apostrophes or not!

I had a boss who used to use apostrophes to form plurals. You can imagine how the editors cringed when they got his memos.

"There will be a meeting of all editor's at 3 p.m. to discuss plan's to cover the first day of school in our local community's."

Someone took a red pen to one of his memos that was posted on a bulletin board. He later called me into his office -- and no, it was not I who edited him :eek: -- and asked me for a grammar lesson! Apparently a two-minute overview on the formation of plurals did not sink in, and he was back to his old habits before long.

Oh my...You all are making me feel so inadequate!

I can still remember my Mother & (English Teacher) Aunt Betty constantly correcting me:

"Elizabeth Anne, It is JUST a minute, not JIST a minute" ;)

Now you all are throwing It's & its at me.... :eek:

:o Betty

Excellent post!!

Regardless of anything I've said about pet peeves, I have to edit virtually every post I make, and I'm dead certain there are posts of mine on here that are far from perfect. (said to all, not just to Colley)

As an analogy, I am not a dog person, but I don't think less of dog owners. Do I notice those things? Yes. Do they bug me (or amuse me) sometimes? Yes. Do I think less of the poster, publicly correct them or make snide remarks about them? Never.

And the being bugged is more because it makes me itch to go in and fix it, and I can't! I think others may feel the same way if they go to a friend's house and see a piece of clutter, or crumbs on the countertop, etc.

FYI - there's a particular bit of the brain that is directly involved in error detection. It's called the Anterior Cingulate Cortex, and it's connected to the limbic system, which is responsible for a lot of our emotions. Some people are much more strongly wired in this area than others, which is why some of us notice every jot and tiddle, while others either don't notice, don't care, or both.

Boy do we have some deep thinkers on this thread.

I'm not one but I agree with the above thoughts.

I also know that IMHO the purpose of CC is for information sharing not (oh boy now I'm going to get it)

Nit picking.

Okay, I'm looking for spell check, but I don't see it on mine. Do I need to do something to turn it on? I just have the Switch Editor Mode and the increase and decrease size in the right corner.

BTW...my pet peeve is people who can write an entire 3 page review with no paragraphs...I don't even bother reading it!

SPELL CHECK has to be downloaded & then it appears in the upper right hand corner above all the smilies..It is a Check mark with a little ABC right above it in the reply box...

The problem is, when I downloaded it about two years ago don't remember exactly how I did it...Thought I had instructions in my WORD program, but it's not there...

Believe I used www.ispell.com

While I was looking for the instructions on how to download spell check, came across this poem, which I found on the Floataway lounge on CC many years ago:

Whoops...Same one on a previous thrtead which I read yesterday....Oh My...I''m geting very forgetful..Sorry Mamm

Spell Check

Cheers.....:)Betty

Okay, I'm looking for spell check, but I don't see it on mine. Do I need to do something to turn it on? I just have the Switch Editor Mode and the increase and decrease size in the right corner.

BTW...my pet peeve is people who can write an entire 3 page review with no paragraphs...I don't even bother reading it!

Terre see my post just above this one..

There is a spell checker just for Internet Explorer at: http://www.iespell.com

V

Betty

before clicking submit. There are so many spelling errors that it becomes annoying but we are not supposed to correct anyone. I know that my fingers don't always go where they are supposed to go. I have corrected errors on my posting and have even gone to advanced to correct a subject line. I just wish more posters would do the same.

I just noticed I transposed 2 letters but caught it.

How about the lack of punctuation and the use of incomplete sentences. See examples above. ;)

Probably best if we just live and let live? As someone mentioned, no one is perfect.

Things I get a laugh out of are when someone types a word correctly, but it has a couple of ways to read it, and I read it incorrectly the first time. Example - sewer. The first time I read it as a place for waste run-off, when in fact it was meant to describe a non-gender seamstress! It certainly stopped me in my tracks and made me think twice about what the poster was talking about! :D

I am the (very) anal type of person who likes to proofread, edit, preview post, re-edit, post, and if needed, edit again before I am happy with what I have said. I also will open Word and type the word I am trying to spell to make sure I have it correct, even though my computer does auto spell check when I type on CC. Then I do a final post, and on occasion have returned to the thread only to discover I have still missed some very basic error!

I like to edit my post until I feel I have correctly explained my feelings without coming across as judgmental, negative, condescending, or superior. I can't live with myself if I feel I have hurt someone's feelings. I like to say what I have to say without imposing myself on others. I also was raised by a very strongly opinionated family when it comes to "the King's English!" My grandmother especially felt that if you were fortunate enough to have a proper education, it was a sin not to use it! If I find I've made an error, I still hear her voice in my ear and make sure I correct it quickly!

I feel CC is a place for people to be able to be open and ask any question they may have that they would like an answer to, and if I can help them, or they can help me - great! If someone posts something I disagree with, that is their right to their opinion. In the same vein, if their post contains spelling or grammatical errors, so what? Who am I to judge? It is the question they want help with, not an English lesson. If I am fortunate to have an answer that will help them, I like to add my two cents. If someone disagrees and is offended, or gets caught up in the grammar or spelling aspect, then they have missed the intent of CC, in my opinion.

If I make spelling errors, I am already a pretty harsh critic for myself. If someone else makes them, it doesn't bother me. I'll continue to edit the most glaring ones that I make, but please have patience and forgive my boo boos! After all, I also have a host of reasons as to why I physically (and mentally) am challenged when typing. That's why I cruise - you can usually tell when I am getting closer to my next cruise. The errors start to build up and I need to get away to soothe the broken body!

I read CC for the articles and look forward to what gems of information others share with us. If I notice any of you have been creative with how you spell things, no problem! It just adds another element of fun to the process! Enjoy! :)

Unfortunately many programs spell check what I can "American English" rather than what the rest of the world (or at least Canada, Australia, and Great Britain) considers "English."

Examples include: flavour, colour, Favourite and the like. Very frustrating....

My spelling and punctuation are usually pretty good, but I must admit that "theater" vs. "theatre" has me stumped. What are the proper usages?

I am not sure there is a right or a wrong per se and there are hundreds of examples (tonne/ton, programme/program, centre/center, jewellery/jewelry, amoeba/ameba, analyse/analyze, pyjamas/pajamas.) As Britain is the source of English I consider it to be the 'original' English - you may call "American" a dialect.

I do say that I am kept on my feet as some of the crosswords I do on any given weekend are from Canada and thus use 'Queens English' spelling and the others originate in the US so I have to switch gears.....

So there is no right or wrong? For some reason I was under the impression that one referred to the building and the other referred to the medium. So if I use "theater" for both, that's correct?

To us up north of the 49th there is only one way to spell it - theatre.

So there is no right or wrong? For some reason I was under the impression that one referred to the building and the other referred to the medium. So if I use "theater" for both, that's correct?

Yes. That is appropriate for American English and grammar.

Archived