Clamshells on HMC waitlisted?

Rina's Mom

We are sailing in November on the Zuiderdam. On the day we are at HMC, the Noordam is also there. So I have 2 questions:

1. Currently, the clamshells are waitlist only. Has anybody else experienced this? I am wondering (hoping) if they will add more or if it's a glitch.

2. Anybody been on HMC when 2 Vista ships are there? How crowded is it?

Thanks,

Barb

We are sailing in November on the Zuiderdam. On the day we are at HMC' date=' the Noordam is also there.

Barb[/quote']

Hi, Barb, sorry, no answers for your questions but ... which departure are you on? We are on Zuiderdam Nov 13 and the Noordam is on HMC with us on Nov 14. If you are with us, PLEASE come join our roll-call. If not, have a great cruise anyway.:D

We are sailing in November on the Zuiderdam. On the day we are at HMC' date=' the Noordam is also there. So I have 2 questions:

1. Currently, the clamshells are waitlist only. Has anybody else experienced this? I am wondering (hoping) if they will add more or if it's a glitch.

Thanks,

Barb[/quote']

My DD and I were on the Noordam in 2008 and shared HMC with the Westerdam.

Clamshells could indeed be waitlisted this close to sailing since there are 2 large ships and only a fixed number of clamshells available for rent. We had rented a cabana for our visit. The cabanas sold out within 24 hours from the time that they became available to book.

There is some dappled shade where you can place lounge chairs, but get there early because those spots go fast.

As far as actual crowding, the beach is very large so if you walk to the area just beyond the last cabana you should have plenty of room. When lunch is served at the pavilion there will be a lot of people but things generally go pretty quickly. I'm not a big fan of the food that's served at the barbeque (the ribs are prepared on the ship and heated on a steam table - I've never gotten ribs that were even remotely close to warm).

Enjoy your day at HMC - it's my favorite beach.

They will not add any more clam shells -- there are just so many -- and that is it for the island.

We have been there a few times with 2 Vista ships -- yes it does get crowded -- especially if it is a beautiful day.

The worse is the bar areas and the BBQ -- 2 ships -- and no extra spaces to sit for lunch and drinks.

Extremely crowded. That island was originally designed for one ship. When CCL got its hands on HAL, it decided to stretch the limits of HMC.

Extremely crowded. That island was originally designed for one ship. When CCL got its hands on HAL, it decided to stretch the limits of HMC.
I believe CCL owned HAL before HMC came to be. HAL became a subsidiary of CCL in 1989 and I'm not remembering HMC in that time period. I could be wrong of course. That was 21 years ago.

Correct -- Carnival owned HAL before Half Moon Cay came to be. The first time we were to visit HMC was in 1998 -- coming up from South America. We were so excited to be stopping there -- it was mentioned that it had only been in use for a couple of years. As luck would have it -- too windy and we missed the stop.

Thanks everyone for your info, though it was quite disappointing to read.

I've been at HMC twice and I do like being there. Unfortunately, my husband needs a place with complete shade to return to--the tree-dappled shade won't work. Plus we're traveling with a couple who would have trouble walking down the beach.

Sounds like we'll be staying on board.

Oh darn!

We are sailing in November on the Zuiderdam. On the day we are at HMC' date=' the Noordam is also there. So I have 2 questions:

[/quote']

HI,

I was on HMC last February when there were 2 Vistas there. I was also waitlisted for a clamshell but found the voucher for it when I got on board. Have hope! ;)

I believe CCL owned HAL before HMC came to be. HAL became a subsidiary of CCL in 1989 and I'm not remembering HMC in that time period. I could be wrong of course. That was 21 years ago.

Correct -- Carnival owned HAL before Half Moon Cay came to be. The first time we were to visit HMC was in 1998 -- coming up from South America. We were so excited to be stopping there -- it was mentioned that it had only been in use for a couple of years. As luck would have it -- too windy and we missed the stop.

I was about to say the same thing, but you both beat me to it!...Carnival Corp. acquired HAL in 1988....It amazes me when posters blame Carnival for HAL's changes, scheduling etc when they don't even know the history of the two Companies...

Hal is an autonomous company which handles their own scheduling, pricing, bookings, etc..Carnival Corp. & PLC , the Parent Company, has nothing to do or say about HMC...

However, Hal is now leasing HMC to Carnival Cruise Lines (not the same as Carnival Corp. & PLC) during times that Hal does not sail the Carribbean..

You never see a Carnival ship & a HAL ship in HMC at the same time..

cheers.....:)Betty

:confused: It seems to me, that I should only be booking one clam shell for $14.00 for both DH & me..Don't they put two chaises into one?

However when I try to book on-line it says do you want to book for both Mrs.XXXX & Mr. XXXX, which means that they will charge me $28 ($14.00 per person) ...For that price are they giving us two clam shells or one clamshell? If it's one then will it cost me $14.00 for two chaises?

I think I made this same mistake last time & ended up with two clamshells..

The WEB site is confusing to me..:confused:

Thanks. for your help....

Cheers.......:)Betty

:confused: It seems to me, that I should only be booking one clam shell for $14.00 for both DH & me..Don't they put two chaises into one?

However when I try to book on-line it says do you want to book for both Mrs.XXXX & Mr. XXXX, which means that they will charge me $28 ($14.00 per person) ...For that price are they giving us two clam shells or one clamshell? If it's one then will it cost me $14.00 for two chaises?

I think I made this same mistake last time & ended up with two clamshells..

The WEB site is confusing to me..:confused:

Thanks. for your help....

Cheers.......:)Betty

Just book one. I made the same mistake as you and had to cancel the second one. Each clamshell holds two chaises..... the website IS confusing!

Ok, this is sounding better! :)

It's good to know that someone else has been in this situation and the waitlist cleared (thanks Mollynme!). And I agree that the website is confusing--even though I've booked a clamshell twice before, I even wondered for a moment if I was supposed to book two (lol). If enough people have done this, and figure out before the cruise that they only want one, we have a chance.

So, we'll just play it by ear. Thanks everyone!

Archived