What's the library like on Spirit?

unfathomable

We've been underwhelmed with the library on the other ships, especially the limited fiction selection. Can anybody who has been on Spirit say whether the larger ship has a larger library, with many more books? (We do know about the paperbacks in the cupboards.) Thanks.

Seems to me that the library selection aboard Silver Spirit was about the same as Shadow. I normally bring my own books in paperback, but there was not much of a selection when I tried to swap them out for other paperbacks.

We've been underwhelmed with the library on the other ships, especially the limited fiction selection. Can anybody who has been on Spirit say whether the larger ship has a larger library, with many more books? (We do know about the paperbacks in the cupboards.) Thanks.

We have not been on the Silversea Spirit, but from being on the Silver Cloud this summer, I thought the various book, CD, video and newspaper options on this ship were very good. I assume the selection would be a little larger on the 550-passenger SS Spirit can compared to our 296-passenger Silver Cloud. Here is a picture for how their library looked on our ship. I liked its look, furniture, style, selection, etc. Having been on a large public library board for 14-years in Columbus, I know it's hard to make everyone happy, especially given that about 60,000 books are published, new, each year. It's hard to do inter-library loans at sea.

From the info on the Silversea website and their printed booklet, they show a picture of this area and it looks like they have combined some of the computer/Internet and library functions together in one larger room/area. Are you seeking a certain type or speciality of fiction reading materials?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The library on the Silver Cloud has both a nice selection of books, DVD’s and CD’s, but also a very warm and inviting style. Major newspapers from around the world are printed out each day and are available there.:

CloudLibrary.jpg

I thought the Spirit's library was small vis-a-vis the whisper and shadow. Coupled with

the eight computers (again a small number for spirit pax) co-located in the library and this space (i.e., the libaray on the Spirit) is just not quite the respite one hopes for on board.

I thought the Spirit's library was small vis-a-vis the whisper and shadow. Coupled with

the eight computers (again a small number for spirit pax) co-located in the library and this space (i.e., the libaray on the Spirit) is just not quite the respite one hopes for on board.

For us the best library at sea is a Kindle, on a lounge chair, with a blanket, outside of Panarama Lounge. Up to 1500 books, under a pound. Worth every penny. By the way . . . I was able to connect and download new purchases with easy on most days, even circomnavigating Iceland =)

+1 Rally, plus u can get daily newspapers (at certain ports) downloaded to your

kindle.

Why would you want daily newspapers when you can get two-day-old news for free every moring in the news digest at your door? =)

Jgibbs, I must disagree with my good friend Wes. After 41 days on the Spirit this year, the library is not only larger than on the other ships, but the book selection is considerably larger. Fiction and recent fiction are more plentiful. Remember, Wes read only from his Kindle on our January crossing.:)

Dieter

Why would you want to download news. I go on cruise to get away from all of that BS. Seems that when we get home it's still the same old stuff. I do like the Wall Street Journal, but mostly for the business news. Gotta keep up with that the way these crooks in DC are robbing us blind. I think Wellseasoned is the best authority on the Spirit library, since he has a lot of time aboard, has been on all of the other ships, and uses the libraries.

I will check the library out again next month. Like Wes, I thought it was scaled down from what it should be and from the other ships. Since those of us on the maidens did not experience 100% of what was to be the true experience (50 old movies and now over 400 with up-to-date selections now, etc.), I think our accessment might be more negative than those with more recent sailings.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Why would you want daily newspapers when you can get two-day-old news for free every moring in the news digest at your door? =)
Hahahahaha. Not so recent as I recall....!
I will check the library out again next month.
See you there!

Archived