Voyage now has Propulsion Pod Problem

WesW

Has anyone learned about the severity of the damage. Yes, I understand that the final word will only come during dry dock but a poster in another note said that Voyager had to be moved out of its berth with tugs. Perhaps this explains why she did not limp along to the port for Rome and disembark pax there, an easier destination for getting home. This had been the choice on the last down-pod cruise and then Voyager headed off to Genoa.

I certainly hope for everyone's sake that Voyager has an easily repaired problem.

I've been reading all the posts from pax on board with a group, on the other board, and aside from all the disappointment, etc., it sounds like Regent is doing a fair job of this. After all, it's important to remember that this is not their fault (except perhaps in the broadest sense).

If they are towing the ship, this sounds very serious. I will be hanging on every report meanwhile since we are supposed to sail in 2 months. :eek: If our cruise gets screwed up, I'll be spending an unscheduled week in Florida.

Wendy, could you please tell tell me what other board you are reading?

My wife and I are hopefully sailing on Voyager from 11/23 to 12/10 but this pod problem has us really worried. Hope they can fix it. Thanks, Mel

CruiseCritic guidelines do not allow us to post information about Travel Agents. The other board is run by a TA. I can tell you that there is no information on the other board that isn't here. If we read any information on the Voyager, we'll post it here.

Based on what the news articles said yesterday, the engine just wouldn't start. Until it actually gets into drydock and can be looked at, all we will read is speculation.

I heard from my friend who is onboard. Apparently 38 people left as of last night. Many are leaving in the early (very early) hours tomorrow so the ship will remain in Athens one more day.

On a lighter note, lots of OBCs are being used for expensive wine and champagne. They seem to be partying quite heavily (which, under the circumstances is a good thing). The reason some are flying home instead of going elsewhere is simply the difficulty in communications (e-mail and telephone). It's nice that many have one more day to enjoy the ship.

Having been stranded at sea on the Mariner out of Alaska in 2005, I can say it was a logistical nightmare for Regent then....and last year Voyager had the same problem as it's having now. A group of passengers onboard are having a bit of deja vu because they were on the same cruise in 2005. At least in 2005 it was after the final port that the pod broke down. On this one, to travel all that way to go nowhere is very sad.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the towing issue. The cruise terminal in Pireaus is a fairly tight area and they would need both pods to safely manuever away from the pier. I'm relatively sure that the captain just decided to be on the safe side and use tugs.

I have very good friends on board at the moment and they are very upset at the situation and the way Regent have handled it! They just announced it on the tannoy with no prior warning after yesterday telling passengers it was a 'minor' problem! They have disabled the internet access on board so they are unable to go online at the moment, Regent seem unsure of whether they will be giving future cruise credit or any compensation, they have had this cruise booked for a long time and are very very disappointed!

The Regent bookkeeping system is very efficient and they do shut the internet down at the end at midnight. No if ands or butts. I don't think this is an effort to try to censor this mess, but if it is all you have to do is get off the ship and find someplace with wifi.

When the ash cloud stopped all the traffic going into Europe from Cape Town Regent did everything under the sun to fix an impossible problem. You would have to think they are doing it now. But What a Mess.

Oh sorry missed JHP's post, she's right the internet can get very spotty.

Archived