space bags and flying

jenms2000

I'd like to add to this question! When returning from your trip, how do u get the air back out of the space bag? I'd love to use them,but really need them on the way home when I've added lots of goodies to my suitcase that I bought while on the trip.

I'd like to add to this question! When returning from your trip, how do u get the air back out of the space bag? I'd love to use them,but really need them on the way home when I've added lots of goodies to my suitcase that I bought while on the trip.
your room steward would probably let you use the vacuum if you can catch them out in the hall. you can also roll the air out if you can't find a vacuum. i just wondered if TSA would atleast do that if they open it.:confused:

There are bags you can buy that you press the air out of same as you can a ziploc. Actually, they make really large ziplocs (available at Target) that you can roll after putting your articles inside. Lay it flat roll from back end toward zip end and you push the air out. Works great.

Keep in mind that you can fit lots more in a suitcase using space bags and your suitcase may become too heavy. Most airlines charge extra over fifty pounds.

TSA has no problem with space bags. If they wish, they will open and empty them if they need to inspect contents.

I have been using the non-vacuum cleaner type bags for years now. I have had suitcases opened and inspected but as far as I can tell no one ever actually opened one of the plastic ziplocked bags.

I also believe that I haven't had a Space Bag in checked luggage opened by the TSA. I had, however, had loose items go missing including bras and one nice blouse. Those items were ones that I added to the bag at the last minute before closing it up.

Lesson learned. Don't leave loose items in your suitcase, bag them up!

I can answer your question because I work for the TSA. If your space bag has to be opened to clear an alarm, it will be opened. It's just that simple. I have had to do so myself. I have also had to open the sealed bags liquor comes in when bought in Europe. We do the best we can with suitcase contents but, alarms must be cleared or the case can't go on the plane. The bad guys make it very hard for honest people to fly. As for trying to remove air from the bag before repacking it, well, to be honest, it depends on a lot of things. As I said before, we do the best we can but, when people pack their whole house in a small suitcase, you can only do so much!

I've never mastered using those bags without having everything wrecked with excessive wrinkling. I've had better luck with packing folders. Folded neatly, they come out and don't need to be steamed to relieve wrinkles. one 18in folder holds 3 pair slacks and 4-5 blouses easily and fits in my carry-on. You can google packing folders to see what I mean. With packing cubes and packing folders, everything stays nice and organized.

They may be expensive up front, but you can re-use them for years.

I think the only success I've had with space bags is for sweaters. I can never get the bags that are big enough to need vacuuming to stay sealed.

I can answer your question because I work for the TSA. If your space bag has to be opened to clear an alarm, it will be opened. It's just that simple. I have had to do so myself. I have also had to open the sealed bags liquor comes in when bought in Europe. We do the best we can with suitcase contents but, alarms must be cleared or the case can't go on the plane. The bad guys make it very hard for honest people to fly. As for trying to remove air from the bag before repacking it, well, to be honest, it depends on a lot of things. As I said before, we do the best we can but, when people pack their whole house in a small suitcase, you can only do so much!
thanks for answering my question. i fully understand that you have a job to do and i want you to do it!!! all i'll have is clothes, shoes, and my oversize liquids in the checked bag so hopefully there won't be any alarms.:)

Ever since everything in my bag got soaked while sitting on the tarmac in a rainstorm at Heathrow, I always pack everything in a combination of space bags (the kind that you zip shut, not vacuum) and various zip locks. I do this with my carry on as well, because it makes it easier to repack if TSA needs to go through it all.

Do watch the weight, as sail7seas points out. The bag reaches its weight limit with the bags before it's full.

Ever since everything in my bag got soaked while sitting on the tarmac in a rainstorm at Heathrow, I always pack everything in a combination of space bags (the kind that you zip shut, not vacuum) and various zip locks. I do this with my carry on as well, because it makes it easier to repack if TSA needs to go through it all.

Do watch the weight, as sail7seas points out. The bag reaches its weight limit with the bags before it's full.

oh, don't worry. i have a scale and i'm taking it with me.

I have packed using 2 1/2 gallon ZipLock bags for years now, and find it to be very efficient and easy, requiring no vacuum to remove the air.

Simply fold your clothing items carefully and slide stacks of 3-5 items, depending on the bulkiness of the items, into each bag. Place the bag on a firm surface, close the zipper most of the way, and slide your forearm across the bag from bottom to the zip top to burp out the air, and finish closing the zipper.

The clothes do not slide around during transit, which can create wrinkles, and the bags can just be placed on the closet shelves when you unpack on the ship. As the bags are emptied, they can be used to put soiled/used clothing in for the homeward trip.

If it's not a breach of security, can you tell us what kinds of things make the alarms go off? That way, we could pack them on top, easily in view of TSA. I always worry when I coil up my flat iron and magnifying mirror base (electric) that it must look suspicious on xray. What about checking wine or liquor? How can we protect it without it looking suspicious?

Sorry for the little hijack of your thread!!:p

I use the plain zip lock bags because they are scrunchable. Some of the vacuum bags get really stiff and a lot of space is wasted once they are stacked.

If it's not a breach of security, can you tell us what kinds of things make the alarms go off? That way, we could pack them on top, easily in view of TSA. I always worry when I coil up my flat iron and magnifying mirror base (electric) that it must look suspicious on xray. What about checking wine or liquor? How can we protect it without it looking suspicious?

Sorry for the little hijack of your thread!!:p

I use the plain zip lock bags because they are scrunchable. Some of the vacuum bags get really stiff and a lot of space is wasted once they are stacked.

I can't really answer your question, for obvious reasons. I can tell you and all travelers this much. First of all, The TSA has a website specifically designed for the traveling public. I seem to keep running afowl of the posting rules concerning websites so, I won't post it here. If you do a web search, you will find it. It is a treasure trove of advice for travelers.

Secondly, if you have lots of change or small electronics in your carry-on bag, expect it to be searched. All that metal is very difficult to see through. So, it would make sense to take out as much as possible before hand.

Lastly, I cannot and will not talk about what does or does not cause an alarm in checked bags, again for obvious reasons. I will say, however, that wrapping a bottle in several pounds of bubble wrap will only aggrevate an already overworked screener who has to cut through all that wrap to clear the bottle. After my last cruise, I brought home a bottle of champagne. I wrapped it in clothing and put it in a padded cooler in my suitcase. It arrived home just fine.

your room steward would probably let you use the vacuum if you can catch them out in the hall. you can also roll the air out if you can't find a vacuum. i just wondered if TSA would atleast do that if they open it.:confused:

:p:D

I can't really answer your question, for obvious reasons. I can tell you and all travelers this much. First of all, The TSA has a website specifically designed for the traveling public. I seem to keep running afowl of the posting rules concerning websites so, I won't post it here. If you do a web search, you will find it. It is a treasure trove of advice for travelers.

Secondly, if you have lots of change or small electronics in your carry-on bag, expect it to be searched. All that metal is very difficult to see through. So, it would make sense to take out as much as possible before hand.

Lastly, I cannot and will not talk about what does or does not cause an alarm in checked bags, again for obvious reasons. I will say, however, that wrapping a bottle in several pounds of bubble wrap will only aggrevate an already overworked screener who has to cut through all that wrap to clear the bottle. After my last cruise, I brought home a bottle of champagne. I wrapped it in clothing and put it in a padded cooler in my suitcase. It arrived home just fine.

I completely understand your responsibility to the safety of travellers and appreciate what you and your fellow screeners do to keep us safe. Your experience with the Champagne is really exactly what I wanted to know! I'll continue to keep my electrical items in easy view in case my suitcase is opened. :)

I completely understand your responsibility to the safety of travellers and appreciate what you and your fellow screeners do to keep us safe. Your experience with the Champagne is really exactly what I wanted to know! I'll continue to keep my electrical items in easy view in case my suitcase is opened. :)

You are very welcome. And thank you for your acknowledgement. If you or anyone ever has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I can answer, I will be happy to.

Archived