Food comparison to RCCL?

TurnLeftKasey

I just stepped off the Majesty two days ago and have been raving to my fiance about the food, he is a Chef by the way...

We have our honeymoon coming up on the Elation (Nov 15), and I have not cruised w/ CCL before, but from some people I have talked too, they say compared to Royal, Carnival food is not that good.

He has not cruised at all, and the cruise was totally my idea, obviously. Ha ha

Please convince me otherwise, tell me good stories about the food! LOL We are not expecting perfection and the best food in the world, he is not tooo critical, but as one person pointed out to me, "Compared to RCCL, Carnival's food SUCKED!"

She has me worried, but I'm hoping my CC friends will tell me otherwise :)

I am absolutly not a cheerleader for any certain line (look at my signature and future cruises). However, Majesty was the worst cruise food I have ever had. The MDR was pretty bad in my opinion. Everyone has different taste and things certainly do change, but this was my reaction. Regardless, the food on a ship is not going to make or break a cruise for me.

.........We have our honeymoon coming up on the Elation (Nov 15), and I have not cruised w/ CCL before, but from some people I have talked too, they say compared to Royal, Carnival food is not that good.

...........:)

Carnival's food is consistently good for quantity, quality and presentation, surprisingly, with all the back talk Carnival gets. I was on a 4 day Baja and 15 day Panama Canal cruise on Carnival Elation in AprMay 2010 and loved the food. I usually sail Hal or RCI. Next 4 up are Carnival. My last Voyager cruise I did not like the food. Sometimes it is hit or miss on some cruises, any cruiseline, but Carnival seems pretty consistently very good. I always think it is a well kept secret amongst Carnival cruisers!:) (and especially with Carnival cruises being more reasonably priced, you may not expect such good food)

Boy, I have to agree with Jerseygirl79, I was very disappointed with the food on RCCL, very salty and dinner rolls were hard as rocks. The Windjammer's lunch choices included lots of goopy casseroles/stir fry and they were also very salty. Just my personal opinion.

We have had excellent meals on both lines and love both lines.

As others stated food is always subjective.

If I had to choose one over the other I would rather have Carnival food. Have never had anything I disliked on CCL. Our last RCL sailing food was hit or miss.

I just stepped off the Majesty two days ago and have been raving to my fiance about the food, he is a Chef by the way...

We have our honeymoon coming up on the Elation (Nov 15), and I have not cruised w/ CCL before, but from some people I have talked too, they say compared to Royal, Carnival food is not that good.

Please convince me otherwise, tell me good stories about the food! LOL We are not expecting perfection and the best food in the world, he is not tooo critical, but as one person pointed out to me, "Compared to RCCL, Carnival's food SUCKED!"

Carnival's MDR food is clearly better than RCL's. Not a lot, but better. Beef dishes are fairly sad on both lines.

In the buffet, RCL steam table offerings are better than Carnival's, but Carnival has so many prepare to order statins that RCL does not have. So a tossup or a slight ad to Carnival.

In Specialty restaurants, Carnival's Steakhouse is so far out in front of RCL 'Chops' that there is NO comparison.

I have sailed on both RCCL (Mariner and Grandeur) and CCL (Inspiration, Imagination, Valor and Liberty) and I am a real foodie. To my taste, I don't think there is any comparison; CCL food is better. The steakhouses are comparable, but the MDR and buffet are better on CCL, IMHO. The only thing I miss on CCL is the smoked salmon in the buffet in the morning; you have to go the dining room for breakfast for that.

Best,

Kathryn

Having been on both lines several times...

I can truly state that Carnivals' food is superior to RCCL..... the choices are more and varied, the buffet, salad bar, pizza bar, deli and the steak house are also much better, and don't forget that the grill bar outside is fresh...fresh burgers etc, not "steamed"....sorry RCCL, I love you too, but you have really deteriorated in your food...

Mass market cruise lines are cooking for between 2000 and 6000 passengers per meal. They all seem to do an acceptable job of providing good tasting food. Some dishes are better than others. In general the food on all of them is more alike than it is different.

It is been a while since we were on RCCL, but as I recall the food was pretty much the same as on CCL. Neither was bad, and neither was special enough to write home about. If anything the food on RCCL was a little bit better . On a scale of 1 -10 I would give RCCL a 6.5 and Carnival a 6.

The only way you are going to get gourmet food on a cruise line is to go on one of the 3 or 4 five star lines that cost more per day tan Carnival and RCCL do for a week.

I've found that the food on RCI varies quite a bit in quality from ship to ship. It's puzzling, since they have pretty much the same menus and budget. But perhaps some chefs know how to tenderize and flavor their meats better than others.

In general, in the main dining room, I prefer the food on the lone Carnival ship I've sailed on, Paradise, except for the crappy white bread/rolls served every night (and they're often stale by the third night, but I don't need the bread, anway....)

I prefer the RCI buffets - I find that they have better variety and the food seems fresher to me. But you can't beat the stirfry station on Carnival IMHO.

If food is your main concern, than I think you'll be fine.:)

I walked off the Liberty and went on the Majesty a a day later.

1) The shrimp on RCL were much smaller. That's nice as it reduces the chance of accidentally choking on them. On CCL, they have these huge shrimps on skewers and those skewers can be dangerous!

2) RCL cooks their hamburgers ahead of time and lets them sit in a heater.CCL serves you burgers right off the grill. That, combined with the fresh fries, might make you burn your tongue.RCL really knows how to to be safe here.

3) The cuts of beef on CCL were tender and eating them really wasn't a challenge. On RCL, every cut of beef was challenging in chewiness and that is good for building up your jaw muscles.

4) CCL serves lobster tail even on short cruises. RCL recognizes that some people are allergic to lobster and will not serve it on short cruises.

Yup, I guess that RCL has better food, after all, it is all subjective, right?

Archived