Our trip to Machu Picchu

Coolcruise02

We have returned from our trip to Peru and Machu Picchu. What an adventure!!! I know this wasn’t a cruise but I did get useful information from this board.

It was such a great experience and Machu Picchu is well worth all the effort it takes to get there. We planned this 10 day trip ourselves (9 family members; ages 31-57) and felt we got a great local feel by not going on a group charter trip. Of course, there were issues like mountain fires and a 2 day transportation strike. But, other than only one day at Machu Picchu instead of two it all worked out. We all had a great time!

We spent a couple days in Cusco were we stayed at Hotel Marqueses (highly recommend) we walked around a lot of the town and relaxed. My DH and I took a light dose of Diamox but others didn’t. We all drank the coca tea and lots of water and got along fine in the high altitude. One day we hired a van and driver for $15pp for the day to visit Sacsayhuaman, the Pisac ruins and the Sunday market at Pisac.

We hired a van & driver for $20pp to take us to Chinchero, Moray, Moras, Salinas (salt pans)and Urubmaba.. He was from Urubamba so he took us to his favorite place for lunch where we had delicious local foods. He then took us to Ollanytaytambo where we stayed at El Albergue (highly recommend). After arriving here we found out about the 2 day transportation strike to start the next day. We were already planning on staying two days at Ollany but we had to extend that an extra day and cancel our room in Aguas Calientes. Trying to switch our train tickets was a small nightmare, but we finally did and that reduced our 2 days at Machu Picchu to one. (talked with others who had to miss M.P.-how sad after coming all that way)

So we got the 7:05 train out, which was the 3rd one of the day and made it to Machu Picchu at 11:00. DH and DD were able to climb Huayna Picchu which we had given up hope of doing. (they were # 178/179) Words can not describe Machu Picchu and I won’t try; it just has to be seen for yourself!

We took the 6:05 Hiram Bingham train back. (great experience but expensive) We would not have done this but our daughter had bought us tickets for our birthdays. We spent the night in Cusco and flew to Lima the next morning.

In Lima we stayed at San Antonia Abad in Miraflores (recommend) which is about 45 minutes from the airport. We spent a day here before flying home.

This trip took lots of planning and if anyone is thinking of taking a trip like this and has questions I would be glad to help if I can.

We spent a couple days in Cusco were we stayed at Hotel Marqueses (highly recommend) we walked around a lot of the town and relaxed.

We stayed there too and liked it. They had free oxygen that was helpful! We had to endure a strike which got us to Ollantaytombo 12 hours later than planned and one free day in Cusco instead of a planned tour.

2094444260027599206S600x600Q85.jpg

2911123140027599206S600x600Q85.jpg

We were glad we had made it to Ollantaytambo when the strike started. We spent the extra time hiking the 3 surrounding mountains; one that had fires at the top! I guess they have strikes about once a month. If you are going there you just better plan on it. :)

How dangerous is Lima, really? We will have one free evening there, and we'd like to go to dinner at the restaurant in the ruins (can't think of the name right now) and then see the water fountain park. Could we walk after dinner to the park? Or should we take a taxi? Could we hail a taxi near the park to take us back to our hotel near the airport?

I live in NYC, and I know some people think it's dangerous here, but it's not really if you know what you're doing. Am just wondering if Lima is as scary as it sounds on these boards.

Thanks!

How dangerous is Lima, really? We will have one free evening there, and we'd like to go to dinner at the restaurant in the ruins (can't think of the name right now) and then see the water fountain park. Could we walk after dinner to the park? Or should we take a taxi? Could we hail a taxi near the park to take us back to our hotel near the airport?

Thanks!

You may not get an answer by asking a question about Lima in a thread about Mach Picchu! try a new thread.

We are thinking of taking the HAL cruise that stays 2 nights in Lima. It docks at 8:00 on day 1 and departs at 5:00 on day 3.

HAL offers a Machu Pichu trip that I am sure is very expensive (the price is not posted on their site but it is 4 $ signs) so we were thinking of booking our ownb excursion.

Since you have done Machu Pichu, I have a couple of questions -

1) Is it doable in the limited time frame that we will have or will we be so rushed that it will be a waste of time and money;

2) Do we have to worry about getting back late and missing the ship or are the tours fairly careful with time:

3) Do you have any suggestions as to who we should book with

Thanks

DON

We are thinking of taking the HAL cruise that stays 2 nights in Lima. It docks at 8:00 on day 1 and departs at 5:00 on day 3.

HAL offers a Machu Pichu trip that I am sure is very expensive (the price is not posted on their site but it is 4 $ signs) so we were thinking of booking our ownb excursion.

Since you have done Machu Pichu, I have a couple of questions -

1) Is it doable in the limited time frame that we will have or will we be so rushed that it will be a waste of time and money;

2) Do we have to worry about getting back late and missing the ship or are the tours fairly careful with time:

3) Do you have any suggestions as to who we should book with

Thanks

DON

That seems really tight to get to Machu Picchu on your own. First you're going to have to get to the airport & fly to Cuzco which will cost about $550 (see http://www.lanperu.com). Then from Cuzco you'll have to take train then bus to Machu Picchu. there are only 3 trains to MP leaving between 7-9am and arriving between 10am and 1pm. Returning from MP to Cuzco there are only 3 trains departing 4-6pm and arriving between 7 and 9pm. http://www.perurail.com/en/ Roundtrip cost for trains is $96-$500. Add another $25 pp for tix to MP and bus.

It seems like HAL must be chartering trains/planes/buses to get there in that timeframe.

You may not get an answer by asking a question about Lima in a thread about Mach Picchu! try a new thread.

Sorry to be OT but its hard to tell if the posts on the South America board are alarmist or accurate. Thought we'd get feedback from someone recently there.

We're going to MP in April and are doing a longer stay after reading all the good advice on CC. Can't wait!

That seems really tight to get to Machu Picchu on your own. First you're going to have to get to the airport & fly to Cuzco which will cost about $550 (see http://www.lanperu.com). Then from Cuzco you'll have to take train then bus to Machu Picchu. there are only 3 trains to MP leaving between 7-9am and arriving between 10am and 1pm. Returning from MP to Cuzco there are only 3 trains departing 4-6pm and arriving between 7 and 9pm. http://www.perurail.com/en/ Roundtrip cost for trains is $96-$500. Add another $25 pp for tix to MP and bus.

It seems like HAL must be chartering trains/planes/buses to get there in that timeframe.

We figured on booking a MP tour out of Lima but we also assumed that it would be cheaper than the HAL tour.

DON

We figured on booking a MP tour out of Lima but we also assumed that it would be cheaper than the HAL tour.

DON

You CAN do this on your own (but I wouldn't for a whole variety of reasons). As JoJo1973 posted, go directly from the ship to the airport (which is in the same general area). Fly to Cusco. Rest and VERY light activity. Go to MP the next day (day 2) Day 3 fly back to Lima. You don't need a tour. You can book everything yourself. Your hotel will pick you up at the airport (some hotels have free pickup, some charge a small fee). You DO need to purchase train tickets in advance. Your hotel can make arrangements to get you to the train on day 2. You don't need a tour in MP itself unless you want one. A GOOD guidebook will allow you to enjoy the ruins at your own pace.

Why I wouldn't do this:

1. GREAT chance of getting altitude sickness (AMS)

2. You will have to be one of the first ones off the ship AND in a taxi to the airport IMMEDIATELY. Planes to Cusco after about 10AM have a 50% chance of being returned to Lima. Cusco airport sits in a bowl-the clouds start moving in about 10-11AM. IF the pilots try to land and the clouds are moving in, they circle and circle and circle looking for the "window" to land. IF they can't find it, back to Lima you go. And you have to hope there is seating the NEXT day-LAN won't let you try again later the same day, as they generally cancel all the flights into Cusco.

3. Same thing leaving Cusco, only not quite as bad. About 30% of the flights are canceled or delayed.

4. If you REALLY want to do this, go immediately to the Sacred Valley instead of staying in Cusco on Day 1. It is about 2000 feet lower in Urubamba and Ollay, so that may stave off some of the altitude sickness symptoms. Of course, you will miss seeing anything in Cusco.

Have you looked at the possibility of staying off the ship a few more days and flying into the next port that has airport availability (DON'T try to fly to Arica if that is the next port-you have to fly to Santiago to get to Arica)? What IS your next port?

How dangerous is Lima, really? We will have one free evening there, and we'd like to go to dinner at the restaurant in the ruins (can't think of the name right now) and then see the water fountain park. Could we walk after dinner to the park? Or should we take a taxi? Could we hail a taxi near the park to take us back to our hotel near the airport? I live in NYC, and I know some people think it's dangerous here, but it's not really if you know what you're doing. Am just wondering if Lima is as scary as it sounds on these boards.Thanks!

We actually stayed in the suburb called Miraflores. We walked all over this area and did not feel unsafe at anytime. The latest we were out was 9:00pm. I would let your hotel recommend a driver and amke the arrangements for you after dark.

We actually stayed in the suburb called Miraflores. We walked all over this area and did not feel unsafe at anytime. The latest we were out was 9:00pm. I would let your hotel recommend a driver and amke the arrangements for you after dark.

We satyed in Miraflores as well and walked to a restaurant nearby from our hotel and back around 9 pm on the main roads that were well lit!

That seems really tight to get to Machu Picchu on your own. First you're going to have to get to the airport & fly to Cuzco which will cost about $550 (see www.lanperu.com). Then from Cuzco you'll have to take train then bus to Machu Picchu. there are only 3 trains to MP leaving between 7-9am and arriving between 10am and 1pm. Returning from MP to Cuzco there are only 3 trains departing 4-6pm and arriving between 7 and 9pm. http://www.perurail.com/en/ Roundtrip cost for trains is $96-$500. Add another $25 pp for tix to MP and bus.

I missed the 2 night thing - was thinking you said 2 days. So it is possible but tight. One day of MP with roundtrip train the on the same day will be disappointing and leave you with about 4-5 hours at the site at the busiest time of day. I recommend a night at MP/Aguas Calientes so you can be first in or last out to miss the crowds. There's so much to see in Cuzco too and a shame if you miss it.

The restaurant at the ruins you mention is probably Huaca Pucllana ... if so, you most definitely will have to take a cab/car from the Ramada as it is a considerable distance out. The ruins and the restaurant are on the outer edge of Miraflores, about a 20-30 minute walk from the Miraflores waterfront/mall area. Although we were very comfortable doing the walk during the day, I am not sure we would have walked it at night.

I hope you plan to arrive with time to spare for a tour of the ruins ... if you haven't seen it, here's a link to our experience ... http://2totravelperu.blogspot.com/2009/04/day-15-huaca-pucllana.html.

That's it exactly. What a blog! Very impressive. And helpful, too, thanks for sharing it.

For me, one of the hardest parts of planning a trip is knowing how much time to leave for just getting around. This is where CC and its wonderful members are such a great resource!

A shout out to GreatAm, as well, for excellent info. We booked our trip based on your advice, we're going straight to the Sacred Valley before MP, not running around Cusco first thing. :)

Thanks for the info, you've been very helpful. Unfortunately we're staying at the airport Ramada so I think we'll have to ask the hotel to get a driver for us, no walking around out there!

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT hire a taxi outside the airport/your hotel. Get the hotel to call one, as you noted AND have the hotel number with you at all times so they can send a car to pick you up AFTER you are done with dinner. DO NOT hail street cabs-yes, most are safe, BUT. It has happened to me and I spend a lot of time in SA and KNOW better-taxi driver wants to take you to HIS hotel/HIS restaurant is the low end of the danger scale. The coked out driver I got in a cab with in Cusco (thank goodness, I speak fairly good Spanish and was NOT by myself). I was getting scared (which is an unusual reaction for me-we bailed from the cab the first time he slowed down)

There are many fine restaurants in the Lima/Miraflores area. Two of my favorites-the Japanese restaurant on the lower level of the Larco Mar shopping center, stuffed back in the corner (never can remember the name) and La Rosa Nautica on the peninsula. You MAY need reservations at La Rosa (I always make them).

http://www.larosanautica.com/rn_quienes_en.html

I am not a foodie-I really go for atmosphere more than food (and have had some really crappy meals just because I wanted the "experience"-oh well). The outdoor restaurant on the main floor in the middle of the Larco Mar shopping center is really good and a GREAT place to people watch.

This was really unusual for us but DH actually took pictures of the food the first time we were in the Japanese restaurant in 2002. I think it is the only time we have ever taken pictures of a meal. It was almost too pretty to eat-enjoy!!!

1358720704_20-anotherpicture-ourmealinLima.jpg.19c9a344abd47ff24e0950cb67d62cff.jpg

Did you feel that the 1 day you had at MP was enough?

Because of the train strike that is all we got. (and thankful to get there at all)

That being said we had planned to go 2 days. The first day to arrive in Aguas Calientes around 10:00 get checked into our hotel buy our tickets to MP and hike from town up the trail/steps from town to the entrance gate. We would have spent the afternoon exploring the citadel and taking the bus back to town around 5:30. Then the next morning getting on the first buses up and hiking Huayna Picchu in the morning and having the rest of the day to explore and hike to the Sun Gate and the bridge.

As it turned out we arrived in AC at 10:00 and our train left at 6:05. We discussed on the train ride back to Cusco how we felt about only having 1 day to see Machu Picchu. For most of our group they felt it was plenty. For those of us that wanted to do more hiking it wasn't enough. It was a rushed hike up Huayna Picchu and no Sun Gate. BUT, I do not feel we were cheated in our experience. As for only one day being enough, I guess it depends on how much you want to do. If you just want to explore the main citadel I think one day is enough. IMHO

Archived