Specialty Restaurants charge - was $5 now $15?? Any chance of price adjustment to $5?

hedyc

I am doing a transatlantic next month and just now saw that the specialty restaurants are $15 per person per meal. When I booked on-board last year it was a suggested $5 gratuity. Has anyone had success having the old price held?

I am doing a transatlantic next month and just now saw that the specialty restaurants are $15 per person per meal. When I booked on-board last year it was a suggested $5 gratuity. Has anyone had success having the old price held?

My understanding is that it is a non-negotiable fee rather than a suggested payment. As the $15 charge now includes the gratuity, for me it doesn't change the overall price very much.

I'm assuming you want to give up the included gratuities, the included wine at lunch and dinner, the included shuttle busses, and the expanded Le Club Voyage benefits to save $20 per meal.:rolleyes:

hedy you wont get any sympathy here..

yes the $5 was for gratuity..now they want $15...but no surprise...the rates have doubled ..why not everything else?...

but here you will only be told, if you dont like it, dont sail with azamara...

and that is what we are doing.

Hi Hedy !

As others have outlined, you are getting quite a few more amenities (including paid gratuities) now. Judging from your timeline, you probably paid quite a bit less than the current rates, and are getting a wonderful deal.

It's a near certainty Azamara wont honor the old price - though you can ask. I think $15 per person is still a bargain. If you Dined in similar Restaurants in New York, you would easily pay 10x more for a similar meal.

Enjoy your Cruise !

hedy you wont get any sympathy here..

yes the $5 was for gratuity..now they want $15...but no surprise...the rates have doubled ..why not everything else?...

but here you will only be told, if you dont like it, dont sail with azamara...

and that is what we are doing.

So, are you saying you are no longer cruising with Azamara?

Does the $15. really include the gratuity? If it does, tht is cheap to eat there.

Maria

That is what a number of returning cruisers have reported - which still makes it an amazing deal considering the quality of the food and service. We had such exceptional wait staff in Prime C on board the Journey that we ended up eating there three times on our cruise.

yes jade, that is what I am saying..waiting to see what happens when all those sailing at old prices are done..when do you think that will happen....this april or march?

On Quest starting May 6. Basically starting with the European cruises in 2011. None of those itineraries were out when the changes were made. From my understanding overall the European sailings are selling really well so you won't see Veranda's on a 12 or 14 night for under 2K again. The only way we may be able to continue with Azamara would be to do more repositioning cruises which is exactly what we have planned for next year. They don't sell as well on any lines and therefore a lower per diem. It will be a new experiance for us as we have always picked port intensive cruises.

We always tipped well above the suggested $5 and so depending on what percentage of $15 goes to the wait staff, it may not make any difference to us. On the other hand, if $5 goes to the staff and $10 goes to the ship, we're looking at a bit of a hike. Does anybody know?

I think I am slightly in favor of this change if it means that we have an easier time booking into Aqualina before 10pm. :p

thanks jade..the european itineraries are of no interest to us...the back to back ones repeat ports...and 7 days is way too little....so they are probably selling well in europe...

yes this spring there will be no more old prices...cant imagine those sailing at those prices now will start to pay double...but with some creative and vigilant effort it is possible to spot a good promotion if you can find your way through the labyrinth of all the double meanings...

and if there was an itinerary that interested us...

We have enjoyed all of our meals at Prime C and Aqualina and have no problem paying the $15. We always tipped more and always ordered wine so we feel as though we will be coming out ahead since we will probably enjoy the wines that are being poured.

We have sailed 3 times at the old prices and have two cruises booked at the new prices. We feel that we got an exceptional deal on our previous 3 cruises and, when comparing to other similar lines, feel that we are still getting a good deal on AZ. We have booked b2b European itineraries where we have a double stop in Santorini. I don't know about others, but I think that I can "suffer through" spending two days in Santorini! As long as there are itineraries that we like we will continue to sail with AZ.

Jade - I think that I could suffer through a repositioning cruise;)! Actually, would love to give it a try one of these days. Too many others places to see first.

at least in my mind, its not really a GREAT meal for $15 - you've got to figure your per diem cost in there too (which at the new fares, is a few pennies, to say the least). But we can all decide if we want to upgrade for a meal or two at $15 a head. The food in the MDR and the poolside buffets is pretty darn good so IMO one can dine quite well without even going to the speciality restaurants. After all, those meals are free?!

Eat in the MDR or Windows Buffet. Both are excellent and avoid the $15pp fee. I did notice on my most recent Azamara cruise, there are fewer people eating in the specialty rooms since the increase. Previously when the fee was $5 it was hard to get a table. I truly think it should be fee free like other luxury lines. You are now paying the much higher fares. You would think that Azamara would not nickle and dime like the mas market mega ships...but they do. Azamara is still trying to find out where it belongs in the cruise market. It's somewhere between Celebrity and Oceania. It's a slight step up from mass market...not even close to true luxury. Then again, it doesn't cost like true luxury.

Archived