Appropriate Attire for Brazil tours?

loum140

:confused: Sorry if this has been asked before but our first visit to Brazil will be in December and my DH loves to wear shorts as soon as the weather will allow. We will be taking tours in each city on the itinerary. Are longish shorts appropriate for men? I will be wearing capris. Thanks in advance!

Additional cultural info: Shorts are perfectly fine for lunch at a nice restaurant too!

I live in Brazil and would say "well, it depends." At some of the nicer restaurants I've been to you would look decidedly out of place in shorts. But you may not be the only ones. There are enough foreign tourists in Rio that people are used to seeing pretty much everything. I guess you already know that with shorts and capris you'll stand out even more than usual as foreign tourists, but that's no biggie. I wear shorts all the time in Brazil, but my wife (Brazilian) does get a little uneasy if I want to wear them into offices, nice stores and restaurants, etc. And in some places, especially indoor restaurants, the air conditioning can be so strong that one could get cold. And Brazil is a big country, so the weather can vary widely from region to region, but Rio is indeed generally warm in December.

For lunch , in Rio , I would have to disagree . I have eaten in many "top" restaurants there . Shorts are fine. I´ve lived in Brazil for more than 20 yrs , work in the fashion business and am very fashion conscious . My husband´s family is from Rio and I have been visiting them there since 1989.

Even in São Paulo , which is much more formal , shorts are frequently seen. However , not paired with sloppy t-shirts and big white tennis shoes. These "accessories" will make you stand out. Try for a more streamlined "look" .

Capris and shorts are very normal for Brazilian women ,again , just not with big clunky tennis and socks...sandals and Havianas are preferred. I promise , wearing shorts in Rio in December will not make you a "tourist"...maybe other factors will , but not the shorts or capris.

Relax , have fun and do not worry about clothes. Rio is a very laid back city and you will have a lovely time in your shorts.

Kim

Kim

Archived