Walmart in playa

maldenmusic

I just saw a recent photo of WalMart in Playa and aside from the color it looks just like the WM here in my hometown in Missouri. Does anyone know if they sell Cuban cigars there? My husband would like to smoke one while he is there. Also, do they have a pharmacy? If so, is it like other Mexican pharmacies where you don't need a prescription? I hope to stock up on Retin-A while I am there. Can't beleive I'm considering visiting WM while in Mexico but I am curious about it.

• 2 months later...

I have not been to the Wal-Mart in Playa But I have been to many all over Mexico and they all seem to have about the same thing.

Don't know about the cigars but all the ones I have been in have a pharmacy you can get most things without a prescription usually things like painkillers and such requires a script.

Enjoy the Mexican Wal-Mart experience it is quite different than you are used to.

Also you might want to get the translation to Spanish for the medication you want it will make it easier to make sure you are getting the right thing.

I just saw a recent photo of WalMart in Playa and aside from the color it looks just like the WM here in my hometown in Missouri. Does anyone know if they sell Cuban cigars there? My husband would like to smoke one while he is there. Also, do they have a pharmacy? If so, is it like other Mexican pharmacies where you don't need a prescription? I hope to stock up on Retin-A while I am there. Can't beleive I'm considering visiting WM while in Mexico but I am curious about it.

Why in the world would you want to put $$$ in Walmart's pocketbook? There are plenty of small independent farmacias where you can get your medications without prescriptions and there are plenty of shops that sell Cuban cigars in Playa. Give the local guys the business. The people are really nice and easy to deal with and speak English.

Why in the world would you want to put $$$ in Walmart's pocketbook? There are plenty of small independent farmacias where you can get your medications without prescriptions and there are plenty of shops that sell Cuban cigars in Playa. Give the local guys the business. The people are really nice and easy to deal with and speak English.

Sheesh....lose the attitude! She was just wondering. Why do you feel the need to reply if you don't have any helpful information to share?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, WalMart does have Cuban cigars and at a reasonable price but the large store right across from the bus station on 5th and Juarez has them at a better price and they are genuine. I would not purchase them from most of the merchants on 5th because they are not genuine Cubans. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I know it is not a local business, but I bet the employees are locals.;)

Also, I wanted to go just to experience it. We didn't make it there.

Maybe next time.:)

We have shopped in Walmart a few times. It is a fair walk from the pier and quite crowded. A taxi would charge about 5 dollars each way.

When you walk along 5 Ave which runs parallel to the beach, there are a few small independent pharmacies and I have bought Retin A in these. There is also a place to buy contact lenses, if you know your numbers! When you get to the far north end of 5th ave and go past the taxi stand, note ther is a taxi stand near the pier, but keep walking for many blocks, ignoring the salespeople as best you can. Just a few doors past the north Taxi stand up on the right side of the street there is a place that is like a 711. It is locally owned and the locals go in to buy sandwiches, pop, nuts, liquor,candy etc. It sells Romeo and Juillet Cuban cigars. Great prices.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a condo in Playa and shop at Walmart regularly when we are there. I was just there last week. You will find it much like the Walmarts in Canada and the US but an interesting experience nonetheless...check out the bakery and the cactus for salads. The beer and liquor are also well-priced. If you want the true Mexican experience there is a Mega along the street from Walmart - which I call the Mexican Walmart - I would not recommend buying cigars on 5th unless the place is recommended as having genuine cubans. If you are not familiar with Playa I think that your idea to buy cuban cigars at Walmart is your best bet and probably the best value. There are lots of fake cubans around. As for the Walmart pharmacy I always find it much cheaper than any farmacia and the products "more american" than the farmacias so you can usually fiigure out the packaging yourself. You can use Mexican pesos or USD and of course major credit cards. Please remember to tip the packboy at Walmart as they rely on those tips. The local Mexicans shop there - why can't you??? :) It's the Mexican thing to do .

In Playa del Carmen the only guaranteed Cuban dealer is the La Casa Del Habano (LCDH). Here is their address:

5th Avenue, between 26 and 28 street, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

If you are going anywhere else in the Carib, I've attached a list of reputable and trusted habano dealers. If anyone has any other they would like to have added to the lsit please feel free to posted them on this thread or the "cigar aficionados" thread (do a search on cuban cigars)on the Carnival boards

Habano Dealers_17Feb2011[1].pdf

• 1 month later...

We like the Mega! Better prices, better selection (beer and booze prices better the Wally World great bakery too) but further from the ferry pier. There is now a Mega in Cozumel. Across the street from the Mega in Playa is the best Mexican food in the area on Constitution (sp?).

One day stopping at Wally World someone took out the front end of our parked rental car. Thank goodness for extra premium insurance.

As DH aways says Mega, Mega, Mega, Mega!

• 2 weeks later...
In Playa del Carmen the only guaranteed Cuban dealer is the La Casa Del Habano (LCDH). Here is their address:

5th Avenue, between 26 and 28 street, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

If you are going anywhere else in the Carib, I've attached a list of reputable and trusted habano dealers. If anyone has any other they would like to have added to the lsit please feel free to posted them on this thread or the "cigar aficionados" thread (do a search on cuban cigars)on the Carnival boards

You are spot on regarding "Cuban" cigars and LCDH. If you buy a "Cuban" from anywhere else in PDC (including Walmart or Mega) you are almost certainly smoking a Dominican with a Cuban label.

I'm not passing judgment, but US citizens are prohibited from buying nearly all Cuban goods, even when the citizen is out of the country.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/pages/cuba.aspx

The question is often asked whether United States citizens

or permanent resident aliens of the United States may

legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and

alcohol products, in a third country for personal use

outside the United States. The answer is no. The

Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of

the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing,

or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions

with respect to any merchandise outside the United States

if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or

has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or

(3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article

which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/ccigar2.pdf

There is also a place to buy contact lenses, if you know your numbers!.

Really? Has anyone here bought any there? Are they safe? I haven't had an exam in a year and a half, and the place I get my contacts from requires you have a new eye exam every year. I am down to one pair and my cruise leaves on Monday! I would love to get a few pairs to tide me over until I go back for a new eye exam, and our cruise stops at PDC on Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, you should visit it! Walmart or not, it's definitely an experience. We were so surprised that they had aisles and aisles of liquor, just like it was cereal or something!

Sorry, I'm not sure about the cigars or pharmacy... though I would guess yes.

Here are our honeymoon pics at the Royal in Playa, about a 5 minute walk to Walmart! Lol and yes, we have some Walmart pics.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.541735845301.2102249.44001403&l=15297e66d2

And part 2

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.541736758471.2102252.44001403&l=e3bd415ff6

Archived