change to pre-boarding booking in specialty restaurants

more from les

Today I tried to make a booking in advance of our January 2011 Sea of Cortez cruise on Journey, but was informed by the ClubVoyage person who answered the phone that it is no longer possible to make bookings before boarding the ships.

Can anyone confirm this with their experience recently? It would appear to be a change from our experience last October on Quest.

Les

I can tell you that on our August Journey cruise we were asked at embarkation if we wished to book specialty restaurants. Just as we finished our check-in, there was another desk where we were asked if we wished to book any specialty restaurants, which ones, and which dates during the cruise. We made one booking for each specialty restaurant and never had to deal with it once on board. We are not elite cruisers.

Alice

With the higher charges now there seems to be little difficulty booking your dates onboard as the specialty restaurants appear somewhat underutilized.

At least it seemed that way to me on our cruise.

That is useful to know - we are in a suite so can in theory go every night so I was wondering if we might have problems or not. We are cruising over Valentines Day so I need to make sure that night is in one of the specialities or DH is walking the plank as he is already getting out of paying for a meal!!

That is useful to know - we are in a suite so can in theory go every night so I was wondering if we might have problems or not. We are cruising over Valentines Day so I need to make sure that night is in one of the specialities or DH is walking the plank as he is already getting out of paying for a meal!!

I don't think he is getting out of anything. In fact, I think he is paying for a lot more than a meal:D. (unless you are paying for the cruise, that is).

Enjoy your cruise.

I don't think he is getting out of anything. In fact, I think he is paying for a lot more than a meal:D. (unless you are paying for the cruise, that is).

Enjoy your cruise.

if you book a suite you get a table however, the time may be an issue so the solution is book as soon as you complete checkin. They either have someone by the main desk on 4 or go to the restaurant on deck 10 and book

good luck and Bon Appetit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Les!!

This is Theresa from California. My husband and I met you on the Quest in 10/2009(Venice to Rome). Can't believe we are traveling on the Quest again in May 2011(Greek Isles and Turkey). Really enjoyed your company on the cruise. Hope you and your lovely wife are doing well. Have fun on your next adventure.

Theresa

We had no status at all and didn't even have a balcony suite but had no problems at all booking for the two specialty restaurants. We ate twice at both restaurants and made bookings during the cruise, one even on the second last day. It was never crowded and we always got a time slot. I wouldn't panic too much as there was often tables vacant. The food, by the way, was beautiful!

We were in a suite and ate in the Speciality Restaurants 5 or 6 times. The food is superb. We did find it difficult sometimes to find something we liked from the new Discovery Restaurant Menu but the buffet in Breeza, again, was always excellent.

As has been discussed book as soon as you board and don't expect to get a 7pm slot. 6/6.30pm or 8/830pm are the usual and sea days are very busy. Enjoy.

Archived