Clothes on "Mad Men"

robthens

where the decor staff...all depts, there of..did alot of homework for and strive for perfection of decor, fashion, all involved.. I think they've done a bang up job. My age permits me to be retro..and in the moment of the time as a teen to 20. I wore those type dresses, and hair do's. My mom looked great as a grown up in her later 30's. I lov lov lov the program, and see why it wins awards..in my TV book...triple star

I read an article a while back where Jon Hamm was saying how tight-fitting the clothes were back then -- the shirts especially for men. He said you had to learn to move differently and certainly couldn't "lounge around" in your clothes like most do today.

In some way, I guess the clothes got less restrictive as society got less restrictive. The clothes are beautiful, but I'd rather look at them on someone else than wear them!

I read an article a while back where Jon Hamm was saying how tight-fitting the clothes were back then -- the shirts especially for men. He said you had to learn to move differently and certainly couldn't "lounge around" in your clothes like most do today.

In some way, I guess the clothes got less restrictive as society got less restrictive. The clothes are beautiful, but I'd rather look at them on someone else than wear them!

Yup, we should only wear the clothes are suitable for us.

I got all excited when I saw this thread because I immediately assumed (given the trend) that it would be about shopping for "Mad Men"-style clothes! I love the look. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that the restrictive undergarments have gone out the window... and those pointy bras. Who wants pointy boobs? LOL

But I love Louis Vuitton's fall collection. I'll pass on the corsets, and it's easy enough to find cute little fitted cardigans, but I can't seem to find any of those below-the-knee full skirts at a reasonable price, and I think they're just adorable! ModCloth has tons of retro-style clothing, and I thought that they would have a ton - but they actually only have a handful of this style, and they're all 100% cotton and summery, except for this one:

16608-1.jpg

And I'm on the fence about the print and colors... and fabric (70% acrylic).

Does anyone else think these skirts are cute and very wearable? And has anyone found any that don't cost a ton?

So glad we don't wear clothes like that now! I remember both my mom & grandmother dressing like that. My grandmother would wear a skirt while doing housework. And they never left the house without a girdle on!

A special treat was to do downtown with my grandmother for a day of shopping but we always had to dress up, including hat & white gloves. Too many "rules" !

Sherri:)

I like how the clothes look!

I personally like to inject a little nod to the era in my wardrobe sometimes: I wear a pencil skirt worn with a tie-neck blouse, or a piece of costume jewelry from the era worn with my contemporary outfit.

Also, I will bet the everyday clothing often picked up cigarette smoke odors, something that seldom happens now. :eek:

I like how the clothes look!

I personally like to inject a little nod to the era in my wardrobe sometimes: I wear a pencil skirt worn with a tie-neck blouse, or a piece of costume jewelry from the era worn with my contemporary outfit.

Also, I will bet the everyday clothing often picked up cigarette smoke odors, something that seldom happens now. :eek:

Terri! I actually collect vintage costume jewelry, mostly from that era (some of it earlier, when I'm lucky). If you do too, after all we have in common from the seasons thread, that would just be weird. ;) And I often do the pencil skirt (usually part of a suit) with a tie-neck blouse myself... I'm always looking for ways to add a little flair and femininity to my office attire, while still staying appropriate.

I love the hairstyles too - certainly nothing I would copy exactly today! But as with the clothes, I think you can make a reference to the retro look in a more modern way. I like to do pin curls but make them a little messy. I've seen a lot of mussed-up bouffant styles in magazines lately, but I can't seem to get that kind of volume.

Has anyone tried the "Mad Men Yourself" feature on the show's website? It's fun, but it's just a cartoon. I much prefer the "Yearbook Yourself" site where you actually use one of your own photos. Me in the early '60s:

5480_644918755757_27613233_37160172_5207241_n.jpg

The guys at http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/ do a weekly recap they call Mad Style. Check it out, they have gone all the way back to Season One, character by character. Also recaps of each Mad Men episode, Project Runway, Glee, Fashion Week collections... Everything I know about fashion I learned from Tom & Lorenzo.

Has anyone tried the "Mad Men Yourself" feature on the show's website? It's fun, but it's just a cartoon. I much prefer the "Yearbook Yourself" site where you actually use one of your own photos. Me in the early '60s:

5480_644918755757_27613233_37160172_5207241_n.jpg

THIS is SO cute!!!:D

I've gotta try it!

Archived