Difference Inside versus Large Inside Stateroom

giltedge

We are booked on the Statendam b2b Nov 26 out of San Diego and have booked a guarantee MM Inside Large stateroom. Just curious what the difference is from the N and NN staterooms which are shown with the exact same square footage as all other Inside staterooms. Why do they call some just "Inside" and others "Large" if the same square footage?

I am going to respond to my thread since no one else has. Apparently this was either a dumb question or no one has any idea if there is any difference between the Inside Stateroom and the Large Inside Stateroom. I am just a curious person and thought someone would know why they would have different names if the staterooms were exactly the same size. :confused:

On the Statendam I'm only seeing one kind of inside stateroom...no "Large Inside" like you see on some of the larger ships where there is definitely a difference. On the Statendam, I'm seeing location differences and configuration differences that might make a difference to you. Remember the square footage is always an estimate...don't hold them to it!

There IS a big difference on ships like the Eurodam, etc. where they do offer "Large Inside Cabins" vs. "Inside Cabins"...the "Large ones" are terrific!

Yes, the HAL (and other websites) show N as "standard" and 182 square feet, and M as "large" and 182 square feet.

However, that forward location of the N's is a very unpleasant one, IMO. Apt to get a lot of movement, and a great deal of anchor/bow thruster noise, coming into port early in the mornings.

"A" deck midship M's are far more desirable, IMO.

I'm also not fond of the aft MM's on "A" due to engine vibration and noise. Ditto Main deck M's (fore and aft) for the same reasons stated.

Because I'm fussy about such things, I book a particular cabin, instead of a guarantee. Many people who aren't so fussy save a great deal of money on guarantees. Also, those who book guarantees often get a complimentary upgrade. Again, I don't think all upgrades are improvements, so I pick a cabin.

On Statendam, some of my favourite insides are main deck K's that run sideways, and lower promenade J, K, and even L. I've never stayed in one, but I bet the sideways M's on A deck are great, too.

Thanks for responding. I figure it was something like that but just thought someone else might have better info than me. We are hoping for an upgrade but will be happy with what we get. We just love the whole cruise experience and don't let small things bother us. Have done the balcony experience several times but for the amount of time we spend in our cabin, we would rather use the extra money for other things. Again thanks for all of your responses.

Actually, I had a bad experience recently on the Ryndam. I booked IQ108 on the Verandah Deck.

The book and website both list the cabin as a Large (182 sq). Look at the video. There's room for a couch in the room.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlans.action?ship=ry&deck=m

The reality was that the cabin was a standard (130 sf) without room for the couch. :eek:

If they are anything like the Insides in Maasdam on Deck 9, they look like a closet. They must be the 130 square foot cabins and I don't believe room for a couch.

I just looked at a deck plan for Statendam and would stay away from IQ108 and IQ112 forward on the Veranda Deck, based on what I saw on Maasdam. On the other hand the OV's (on Maasdam) across from those staterooms are huge. If Statendam is like Maasdam they should not be labeled as Large Spa staterooms!

Hmm, I looked at the Maasdam deck plans and HAL has them labeled wrong currently at the same size as the large Insides, but has them corrected to standard, approx 130 square feet after the refurbishment next year.

We are booked on the Statendam b2b Nov 26 out of San Diego and have booked a guarantee MM Inside Large stateroom. Just curious what the difference is from the N and NN staterooms which are shown with the exact same square footage as all other Inside staterooms. Why do they call some just "Inside" and others "Large" if the same square footage?

I don't know why they call the stateroom's "inside or large", but I was on the MS Statendam this past April and I can tell you that either is the same size. If you look at the website for pic's of their inside stateroom's that is what you get. There is plenty of room for everything! Hope that you enjoy the MS Statendam as much as I did!

Have you seen Joanie's link for the Statendam?

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Statendam/index.html

Lots of pictures of inside staterooms...sorry, M isn't one of them. However...will give you some kind of an idea what the inside staterooms are like.

We sailed on the Statendam last December. Loved the ship and the crew and the food was excellent.:)

Liked your post because it underlines the importance of cabin location. For that reason, I never go for guarantees; I want to know where I am from the get go. When the Crown Princess on our recent British Isles cruise upgraded us from a Plaza inside to an obstructed Lido OV, I kind of cringed because all my research and planning had been for nothing. That feeling disappearad as soon as we saw our new cabin, whose window gave us a 180-degree sweep because it was located above the bridge.

Fann1sh's is a splendid post for another reason. Considering the many categories and configurations, one may find some very interesting cabins. Too few people realize this.

When we began cruising 13 sailings ago, we went with an OV and then graduated to balconies. The more we have cruised, the less the category makes any difference to us. Our first preference are interesting itineraries, good price and comfortable cabin size. I am constantly looking for interesting cruises, even though I may not be able to consider them.

I'm looking forward to our next cruise, a 28-day jaunt from Rio to Fort Lauderdale on the Veendam because we have a J inside. It is on lower Promenade, just steps away from the circular pedestrian walk. I am told that that is an unbeatable location for people who like insides.

Thank you, Barante, but while I discovered the sideway "K"'s on Main deck on my own (first HAL cruise), I've learned a lot here from other CC'ers.

RuthC is especially helpful. Due to her, I can agree you will love your Lower Promenade deck "J" as much as I did.

Hi all, I am new to all this though I have read all your great comments in detail. I have cruised before but never on HAL so have lots of questions. The first concerns type of cabin on the Eurodam for a transatlantic. There are two inside N cabins available, N1011 and N1012. I know these are cabins for the disabled, on the diagram they look bigger than usual lowest grade interior? I have looked at Joanies cabins (wonderful by the way) but still amnt clear. Do these two have that nice sofa corner that some interiors have?

If I dont take these, I am inclined towards a verandah stateroom since an ov is almost the same price. My question on the verandah cabins concerns the VF category. I know these have the steel balcony and thats fine, I am more concerned with the size of the balcony. The CAT VF on Upper Promenade seem to me to be large, can someone please confirm this? Size of the balcony is more important to me.

And also, can someone let me know what happens if I book and prices go down afterwards? If its before final payment, can I simply cancel and rebook? Or can I get OBC?

Thanks in anticipation from an Irish newbie!

Archived