Fall colors

I realize that every year is different and no one can predict accurately, but I was hoping someone would have a suggestion as to when we should plan our trip into New England, Montreal and Quebec City? We are looking at September or October, 2011. We will have about two weeks and don't want to be way too early or way too late to enjoy the fall color changes. Should we plan on the last two weeks in September; the first two weeks in October or the last week of September and the first week of October. Hoping that since we are at that point about now, someone can offer good advice. :rolleyes:

The fall color changes does not happen to all areas at the same time. It is a moving target and the summer's and fall's weather impacts when the change happens.

If you get peak foliage in New England ports of call, you'll get past peak in the Canadian ports of call and vice versa; peak foliage in the Canadian ports of call, will give you before peak in the New England ports of call.

To get a better idea of peak periods for New England, take a look at this interactive foliage map provided by Yankee Magazine: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/

For New England, the last 2 weeks in September would be too early unless you are able to get into interior New England; the first 2 weeks in October are better.

One suggestion I have is to plan the cruise to target one of your ports of call for peak foliage. That way you're sure of peak conditions at one port and you may luck out at others but at least you'll have one.

The port of call I would target would be Bar Harbor, Maine because it has Acadia National Park http://www.acadiamagic.com/ on its' door step. The other ports of call are cities and you'll have to travel further to see the foliage.

This is for New England only and YMMV.

SBtS

Try to cruise going south. That way you have a better chance of seeing color at both ends. We started in Boston and were too early for the peak color there, but were too late for peak color by the time we reached the Canadian ports. (We went Oct. 6 - 13 last year.) You do need to go inland to see the best color.

We drove through the wentworth valley yesterday and found the colours very muted compared to other years. The maples are just starting to turn red in some areas. As we got closer to Halifax the colours were a little more brilliant. I'm chalking it up to the warmer weather we had in late August into September and also, when TS Earl blew through on the Labour day weekend it damaged leaves and took them off the trees before they had a chance to turn.

Hi maryanne, I don't know what it's like today in your neck of the woods but on my way in to work today along the 207, Lawrencetown to Dartmouth (across the basin from Halifax for those who don't know), I noticed that, finally, the coulours have really come out, some brilliant reds and yellows. It may be because last night we had our second hard frost, had to scrape the windows on the car this morning. Seems later this year. Actually, seems to get later with each passing year.

But the colours come later as you go north apparently, at least they do in Nova Scotia.

I thought it was the opposite: the further north/colder temps - the earlier the leaves change color.

We cruised Oct. 9-18, 2008 from Bayonne, NJ to Quebec City and back. Cape Breton Island was just beautiful on 10/11, as was Charlottetown on 10/12. When we got to QC on Oct. 14, it was just past the peak. We were in Halifax on 10/16, and I don't remember much about the colors there.

Last weekend I drove to Cape Breton and back to the mainland. On Friday, Oct. 15 the leaves were muted everywhere. There was a distinct lack of bright red. It is the species of maple called red maple that can turn a bright crimson red. They can also turn dark red or orange.

By Saturday in Cape Breton we started seeing some great red colours. Coming home to the mainland later on Sunday Oct. 17, we saw some of the same although the colours this year were not as spectacular as they can be.

Here in SoCal, we of course don't get the fall color like you do, Mona and Maryann. That's why we booked the Regent Navigator for next year, a cruise leaving NY on 10-3, cruising up Mass/Maine and the Maritimes, down the St. Lawrence to Montreal........so we will be in Montreal on 10-13. That may be too late for the colors, who knows? Yes, it would be nice if the cruise sailed north to south, but it doesn't so we are just hoping for the best. What I do hope doesn't happen is that a storm comes in and strips the leaves off the trees before we get to see them!I know the colors are different every year, and peak timing as well. So we will just take our chances. I'm sure it will be beautiful. Hoping for not too much rain, but again - who knows! We will enjoy the scenery no matter what......planning to stay a couple of extra days in Montreal, and am hoping the Montreal Opera or Symphony Orch. will be playing - have to wait to see the new season schedule I guess. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for "the best" jazz club in Montreal, would love that!Glenda

Yes, it is hard to predict, but judging by this year, you will be on the early side next year. The colours are still good in northern Nova Scotia today. Some trees have lost their leaves, but the maples are great. We have had a lot of wind and rain this fall but it did not ruin things.

Just off the Maasdam's repositioning voyage from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on the 22nd of October. We were a bit late for the Maples; not much red seen. But, plenty of color to satisfy me. Wonderful cruise! And, Canadians are most hospitable and welcoming. We received very warm welcomes at some of the small, less frequently visited ports. They, and their citizens, will have a delightful place in my memory!

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

I think you may have been early as the maples have been slow to turn and many did not get a full red. The maples are still gorgeous here and I just heard from our TV meteorologist that things have probably been delayed because of all the warm weather we had.

Archived