OT....Digital Camera..Cannon PowerShot A300 3.2 Megapixel

On a related note, I think it is time that I invest in a bit more media. I have a Canon S10, and my wife a Canon A70. We each have 128 MB, plus we have a 32 MB, a 16 MB and a practically-useless 8 MB. I wonder how much memory we should be really be carrying with us. (While we won't go the same lengths as we did for Egypt, we'll probably take photos similar to those on our Egypt travel web site: http://brianandrobbie.com/offwegotoegypt)

countdown.cgi?srgb=00ff00&dd=cd&trgb=ffffff&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2005;1;29;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500&ft=5&frgb=ffd700

RCI - Serendade of the Seas (S. Carib.)

I really enjoyed your website, it must have been a great trip. Your description of the sunrise on the airplane was beautiful. The pop up notes were a great idea, makes a photo presentation so much more interesting.

Neither of your cameras has an uncompressed format, they shoot in JPEG format only. When you were in Aswan, you took some panoramas. Panoramas with digital are awesome and really easy to take. The results are seamless and you cannot see any discontinuation. This photo is five images put together by the computer. London Bridge

I use a software that came with my camera, it's called Panorama 3.0 and is available on the net for a free trial download.

With the way you take photos, I'd definitely recommend more memory. We just got off Serenade, we did the repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal. A really beautiful ship.

Martini2.gif

Shaken.gif

Thanks for the comments about our Egypt web site. It was really a labor of love!

They've got 1 GB cards now, for $150 each. I was thinking maybe we'd get one of those for my wife, and then I'd use the memory we already have (128 + 128 + 32 + 16 + 8). Or perhaps I should get a 256 or 512 myself.

countdown.cgi?srgb=00ff00&dd=cd&trgb=ffffff&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2005;1;29;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500&ft=5&frgb=ffd700

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bicker:

Thanks for the comments about our Egypt web site. It was really a labor of love!

They've got 1 GB cards now, for $150 each. I was thinking maybe we'd get one of those for my wife, and then I'd use the memory we already have (128 + 128 + 32 + 16 + 8). Or perhaps I should get a 256 or 512 myself.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you bring a laptop computer with you you can download periodically and open up the card for more.

I have the same range of cards as you plus a 512 and a 256. On our 2 week trip to the Normandy Beaches in May, I took 1200 photos at a moderate resolution and decided to switch to the 256. I didn't fill up the 512 but was worried. No problem. Had plenty of capacity left. The photos came out great! (We traveled light. No laptop.)

Walt Tuthill

Cruise Board Moderator

Contact at Shiptender@aol.com

[This message was edited by Host Walt on 06-19-04 at 08:56 PM.]

I know that if we were do another Egypt-like trip, we'd need at least 4 GB total between the two of us. The Caribbean, though, as interesting as it is, isn't Egypt! By the same token, I don't know if I need closer to 1/3 as much media as I'd need for Egypt vs. closer to 2/3 as much media.

A laptop is out of the question. Besides being one more thing to have to drag along with us, it just would get me way too close to working.

I noticed that I made a mistake above. Canon's uncompressed format is the "RAW" format not "TIFF". Canon states that their RAW does not use as much memory as a TIFF file. Either way, they both chew up memory faster than a jpeg file.

I came home from this trip with almost 400 pics. I used up a a 256MB card first and then started a 512MB card that I didn't even come close to filling up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Canon's uncompressed format is the "RAW" format not "TIFF". Canon states that their RAW does not use as much memory as a TIFF file. Either way, they both chew up memory faster than a jpeg file.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have noticed that a lot of manufacturers are now dropping TIFF in favour of RAW. RAW does take up less space than TIFF, but a lot more than JPEG.

A RAW file contains the original image information as it comes off the sensor before in-camera processing, so you can do that processing afterwards on your PC with special software. That means that you can change white balance, exposure and many other parameters. The bad news is that each manufacturer has it's own version of RAW and you need special software.

Bicker, with the cards you have, you should get close to 400 images, even using the super-fine setting.

I prefer the smaller cards, 128 &256, that way I don't feel that I have all my eggs in one basket if something goes wrong.

Martini2.gif

Shaken.gif

Archived