Accra and Snorkeling

snorkelphile

I read this thread from earlier in the year. We usually leave our flippers behind too but now I'm wondering about taking them just to do this.

But what is a "man-made reef"? So, does that mean there is no coral? The fish are hanging out around - rocks placed there, or what?

I was planning on us going to Folkestone, but Accra sounds like a beautiful beach, so, now I'm wondering.:confused: Always like to have my cake and eat it too, wonderful snorkeling AND beautiful beach.

Advice?

The straight dark strip you see just offshore

Rockley_Bay.jpg

was put down about 15 yrs. ago to help mellow the waves coming in to Rockley Bay.

15 years in warm tropical waters results in reasonable opportunistic growth

of hard and soft corals on any firm underwater structure

so you should find plenty to catch your eye.

Take your underwater camera and post pics for us, when you get back.

Yes, take your fins -it's about 150 yards offshore.

If it's a calm-ish day you might contemplate doing the outside edge of the structure

but most folks just do the inside edge.

On the surface, the big-boulders structure is marked by two poles sticking up

-one at either end.

Thanks aplmac! For other's interest, I also found this information at the Barbados Coastal Zone Management Unit website:

THE ROCKLEY BREAKWATER AREA

The Rockley Breakwater was constructed in January 1994 as one component of the Rockley Beach Pilot Project, which formed a part of the Feasibility Studies on Coastal Conservation (South and West Coasts). It is a 150 m long submerged crest breakwater, located in approximately 5m of water. The aim was to investigate the potential of this type of breakwater to protect and stabilise a beach which is exposed to south coast wave conditions.

Judged by any scientific criteria, the breakwater has fulfilled all expectations. Further, as an additional benefit, it is also functioning effectively as an artificial reef. The structure itself mimics a reef system, as its substrate provides a surface on which many benthic organisms, such as coral and algae, thrive. These organisms provide food for a variety of reef fish, which in turn provide food for the larger predators such as the Barracuda. On the breakwater there is already much of the flora and fauna associated with a live coral reef. This development has consequently attracted both fishermen and snorkelers.

The breakwater ecosystem represents a coral reef in its early stages of development. A potential high pot fishing pressure, resulting from the aggregation of fish at the site, would most likely deplete fish communities which would not have the opportunity to regenerate. A diminished fish population would result in overgrowth of algae, which smother the juvenile corals or prevent them from recruiting onto the substrate altogether. The ecosystem would therefore breakdown and the structure would cease to act as an artificial reef.

fish-on-rockley-breakwater.jpg

Fish on the Rockley Breakwater

In an attempt to protect this rather fragile ecosystem, a consensus decision was taken by a number of agencies that the area should be designated a protected area where only passive recreational activities such as snorkeling and diving would be allowed. This was agreed to by fishermen and divers at public meetings on March 12th and 15th, 1997.

The designation of this site would be to ensure its protection from spear fishing and pot fishing.

• 1 month later...

Just back -

The taxi driver let us off @ Bar Kan'ei. The bar wasn't open yet (this was 9-9:30am) so we waited until about 10am and still didn't see any signs of habitation, so we walked down the beach just a bit to where Walter had some chairs & umbrellas set up. This beach is really nice. There's some snorkeling out on the reef - not fantastic, but worth bringing your gear according to my hubby. He did both the inner & outer reef, then when he took our son he did just the inner. He saw the usual fish suspects, and a turtle. (Keep in mind here that we are kind of spoiled in the snorkeling department, so it takes a lot to impress us. Also, the conditions weren't ideal for snorkeling that day, there had been a lot of rain so visibility wasn't ideal and the surf was up). There wasn't so much wave action that they couldn't snorkel, but just enough to have fun. We walked back down to the Bar Kan'ei later that day for lunch, it was expensive & the food looked like your nornal bar food so 9yo & I split some chicken fingers (very good), I had a couple of rum punches - first one was good, second one not so much (too much nutmeg and something else, maybe bitters?) Hubby decided to get something from one of the little shacks down by the boardwalk part of the beach. Flying fish sandwich, or something? Not so great, he couldn't even eat it. (This is the section of the beach w/public restrooms, outdoor showers, and little shack bars - set back from the beach in a little park-like area. There are a few locals that hang out there, they'll say something to you but I just kept on walking and ignored them.) All in all, I would go back to this beach again - it was a pretty good day.

Rating from 1-10....I would give it an 8. (we like to snorkel, don't like crowds, scary-looking locals, vendors or rowdy partying, want good bathrooms and beach bar/restaurant.)

sand, how far is acra beach from the cruise terminal? how much was cab fare?

Thanks in advance

I believe that one was $8pp, each way. Right around there somewhere, $7-8 or so. And seems like it was around 20 minutes-ish? The drive always seemed to go quickly for me no matter which beach we were going to, since I was busy checking out the scenery/town/people, etc.!

We were there this past July and at APLMAC's urging (ok-not urging but very inviting posts) we went to Accra. The water was a little rough (I lost my snorkle in the surf:mad:) that day but I am used to swimming in the Pacific ocean so it wasn't too big of a deal. The man made reef doesn't have the best of fish to view, but not terrible.

The beach itself is great and the walk along the boardwalk (heading back towards the direction of the ship) is really nice

Earlier in the day we went over to Paynes Bay to swim with the turtles. We had fun doing this, but the beach iteself is not much to write home about and we preferred the remainder of the day spent at Accra. BTW, the cost of the taxi from Paynes Bay to Accra is $30 bucks. Sandinmypants is right on the cost of the taxi from the ship to Accra.

Kenny

If you fancy a little walk there is a small shopping complex across the road towards the left of the beach. In the righthand corner there is a local supermarket that sells cheap drinks, ice creams etc - cheaper than getting them in the beach area.

• 1 month later...
We were there this past July and at APLMAC's urging (ok-not urging but very inviting posts) we went to Accra. The water was a little rough (I lost my snorkle in the surf:mad:) that day but I am used to swimming in the Pacific ocean so it wasn't too big of a deal. The man made reef doesn't have the best of fish to view, but not terrible.

The beach itself is great and the walk along the boardwalk (heading back towards the direction of the ship) is really nice

Earlier in the day we went over to Paynes Bay to swim with the turtles. We had fun doing this, but the beach iteself is not much to write home about and we preferred the remainder of the day spent at Accra. BTW, the cost of the taxi from Paynes Bay to Accra is $30 bucks. Sandinmypants is right on the cost of the taxi from the ship to Accra.

Kenny

How far out did you have to go to see the turtles? My children and I just stayed on shore, and played in the perfect sized waves for them at Paynes Bay. I loved the beach there, and we are going back to Barbados in April. Should we go back to attempt to swim with turtles or go to Batts Rock or Heywoods Beach? ALL information is greatly appreciated.

How far out did you have to go to see the turtles? My children and I just stayed on shore, and played in the perfect sized waves for them at Paynes Bay. I loved the beach there, and we are going back to Barbados in April. Should we go back to attempt to swim with turtles or go to Batts Rock or Heywoods Beach? ALL information is greatly appreciated.

If you go back to Paynes with your children and want to swim with the turtles I suggest that you hire the glass bottom boat guy right there at Paynes, negotiate a rate and have him take you to the turtles.

The swim out to the turtles is around 100 yards or so from Paynes but I would not do it on my own with children.

Archived